PDA

View Full Version : weeping willow

annemarie482
10-Jun-11, 23:10
a couple quick questions.....

is there anywhere local i can purchase a weeping willow tree?

homebase have their version which has been cut waxed, and the top attatched to the side so it wont grow any bigger and suit a pot or patio, but i'd like a a proper tree thats going to get some height and the lovely cascading foliage.

does anyone on here have one they have successfully grown?

do they grow well up here?

any help appreciated, i'm a keen but novice gardener :)

Fran
11-Jun-11, 00:07
I have been looking for one too. Been everywhere up here. Will have to go to Inverness, a big nursery there, or order from gardening catalogue, i think it is called dobies, which has been highly recommended to me.

Stefan
11-Jun-11, 10:53
Any willow should be growing fine up here. They like lots of water.... I am growing several species, the only problem you will have is the wind. They grow slower unless you stake them well. I bought all my willow through mail order, most of it from Germany...

starfish
11-Jun-11, 11:11
paul at quinfall forest has tray of 28 twisted willow and super willow for i think £15.00 per tray 07742102164

porshiepoo
12-Jun-11, 00:22
I have a weeping Willow I bought 4 years ago. Not sure of the type but it should certainly grow big - it's about 5 years old now and about 6ft tall and well weepy. They're as easy to grow from cuttings as normal willow and I got mine from EBay.
I live in quite an exposed area near the sea and this tree has survived bitter winds and severe winters.

Violetsky
15-Jun-11, 08:59
saw a weeping willow for sale at the garden centre at glengolly at the weekend - it looked lovely

annemarie482
15-Jun-11, 09:43
really?! didnt know glengolly had a garden centre!

Violetsky
17-Jun-11, 08:50
really - http://www.caithness-business.co.uk/business.php?id=618

annemarie482
17-Jun-11, 09:31
delighted! must go up a lookie :)
are they same size or smaller than castletown garden centre? thats where i usually go.

rhian
09-Jul-11, 09:07
If you take a small cutting off any willow tree and put it into a bucket of water and forget about it. The leaves will die off and the stems will grow new roots followed by leaves. These are the easiest trees to grow form cuttings. If I can do it anybody can.

warrenl
09-Jul-11, 12:16
I bought one four years ago and although it is growing, it is very slow.The tree was already 1 year old when I bought it at a nursery in Wick which has now subsequently closed down.

I am sure that if you are able to get one and put it in a "sheltered" spot, if you can find one it should do well. Mine is not sheltered at all and that could be the reason why it is taking such a long time to grow.

Beat Bug
09-Jul-11, 12:45
There's a willow tree at the bottom of our back garden. It's quite old, and at one time it either fell or was knocked over. It re-rooted it's self, and is now growing sideways in all directions out of the burn that runs along the back, and hangs over to the garden side. I use the shoots to make hoops for the netting on my veg beds to keep the rabbits away. I now plan on making a 'living' willow fence along the side when we get the ground cleared. Although It's very fast growing, a tree surgeon told us that no more than 25% of a tree should be removed at a time, as this can cause the tree to die.

porshiepoo
09-Jul-11, 18:18
I bought one four years ago and although it is growing, it is very slow.The tree was already 1 year old when I bought it at a nursery in Wick which has now subsequently closed down.

I am sure that if you are able to get one and put it in a "sheltered" spot, if you can find one it should do well. Mine is not sheltered at all and that could be the reason why it is taking such a long time to grow.

I think weeping willow are notorious slow growers aren't they? Take a while to get established too. Think I have been lucky though, this one I have is completely exposed to the worst of our winds and snow and is doing really really well. I even pruned it this year for the first time as I hate seeing untidy growth lol and it's doing fabulous!