PDA

View Full Version : Massacre of Wick men

John Little
10-Jun-11, 21:32
Is there a memorial to this anywhere?

http://sinclair.quarterman.org/sinclair/history/mid/battleofkringom.html

John Little
11-Jun-11, 12:50
I guess from 200 views and no reply that there is no memorial in Caithness. That surprises me - given that the population of Caithness in 1612 cannot have been that large, to lose so many of its young men, mostly from Wick, in one fell blow must have made quite an impression on the composition of people.

In fact it was a major disaster.

Forgotten and unmarked.

I wonder if there is any memorial anywhere to mark the massive contribution of Scottish soldiers in saving Protestant Europe in the 17th century?

bcsman
11-Jun-11, 12:59
i never knew about this local history,i feel ashamed not to know about this.this is really interesting,thanks for posting

John Little
11-Jun-11, 13:51
Oh I love all that stuff. Scots were legends at that time for their soldiering. If you liked that one try where this might lead you - the Catholics paid dearly for a massacre of Scots at New Brandenburg where they gave no quarter and a Scottish regiment fought to the last man.

http://www.electricscotland.com/history/scotreg/soldiers4.htm

Fantastic history - but the massacre of Wick men took my notice for obvious reasons...

oldmarine
11-Jun-11, 14:47
Oh I love all that stuff. Scots were legends at that time for their soldiering. If you liked that one try where this might lead you - the Catholics paid dearly for a massacre of Scots at New Brandenburg where they gave no quarter and a Scottish regiment fought to the last man.

http://www.electricscotland.com/history/scotreg/soldiers4.htm

Fantastic history - but the massacre of Wick men took my notice for obvious reasons...

I saw the Scots fighting while in the Pacific theater during WW2. They were superbly trained and a credit to Scotland.

northener
11-Jun-11, 20:44
Many of the Scots troops who fought in the British Civil wars had seen service on the Continent in the Thirty Wears War. A lot of skilled officers cut their teeth there including Leslie IIRC, they went on to form the backbone of tough Scots units fighting on both sides in the BCW.

The woodcut I've copied below show Scots mercenaries on the Continent during the C17th. this picture is sometimes labelled as portraying 'Irish' soldiers - you have to bear in mind that at that time, Highlanders were called 'Irish' by many in England and abroad:

TisIivy
12-Jun-11, 07:49
Not Forgotten! as you go in the door of the queens hotel in wick there is a small stone plaque written in norwegian which was given to Iain Sutherland many years ago when he visited norway researching afore mentioned battle

John Little
12-Jun-11, 08:36
Thankyou for that - I'm glad of it.
Things like that should not fade from the communal memory.
If they do then what they did means nothing.

And from what I can make out, all the stuff about them laying waste to the country is a load of havers. And even if they did, they were in the service of the King of Sweden whilst Norway and Denmark were trying to strangle Sweden's trade.