PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Meanies!!!!

girnigoe
30-Oct-04, 22:14
I had my two kids out for halloween tonight and I was absolutely disgusted at the amount of people who were obviously in and not answering their doors!!! Ok some people might not have a lot of money but how much do a few monkey nuts and a few kind words cost?? In two streets my kids were lucky if they got an answer at about eight doors!!

It seems to be getting worse each year!! :(

Fran
31-Oct-04, 00:14
:D I thought haloween was tomorrow night and the children would be round then....what will I do with all my goodies ....I will give them to the neighbours children :Razz

linzy222
31-Oct-04, 10:11
If halloween falls on a sunday then the kids go out on the sat,it must be some religous thing, but when my kids came home last night they said they heard alot of kids saying there were still going out 2night aswell, i know mine aren't anyway, so u still might have a few kids at your door 2night u never know!!

brandy
31-Oct-04, 10:51
i took my lil boy out with a friend and her little boy .. and we were out for about an hour and a half.. and it was a shame so many people didnt open their doors.. but i have to admit that those that did were VERY generous! *smiles* and i just want to thank everyone who did buy candy and treats... it was my lil boys first halloween and he had a ball! he loved the attention he recived from the houses we went to and everyone was really lovley we saw!
maybe next year more doors will be opened!

gravedigga
31-Oct-04, 11:14
Hardly anyone came to my door, i had sweets n nuts sitting ready and only got 3 groups at the door :(

Maybe they'll be round tonight instead?? But i was under the impression they were gonna be out last night.

gblair
31-Oct-04, 17:12
We only got two groups last night, despite having two pumpkins in the window! I think people need to to show if they are willing to have callers or not and a pumkin is an easy symbol.

I am quite happy to have callers but can sympathise with those who do not want kids knocking on the door and expecting sweets for nothing.

Jennie
31-Oct-04, 19:43
We had quite a few groups of people Knocking on our door last night! Which was good and they managed to empty our sweet bowl :D

MadPict
31-Oct-04, 20:19
Its still early tonight, but they have to get past the dog chained to the front gate first!!! :evil

People are reluctant to open their doors these days because they are basically mugged on their own doorsteps by this "Trick or Treat" rubbish. You say sorry, but we have nothing to give you, and the next morning you find your car damaged.
It's not kids who come around begging for stuff these days - in my village the teenagers come round as well and I have heard stories of quite aggressive tactics to extract "treats".
This is yet another 'tradition' which has been hijacked and twisted around to resemble the type of thing which happens in the US.

There needs to be some sort of code for residents who are happy to take part in providing treats for kids. Maybe a pumpkin lantern in the window. "Don't see a pumpkin, don't come a knocking..."

Another aspect which is slightly a sign of the times is parents accompanying their kiddywinks around.

Call me a miserable old git if you want.....

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/MadPict/images/flaminmad.gifMadPict
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/MadPict/images/gruff_ext.gif

Gizmo
31-Oct-04, 21:03
I'll admit it....I'm a Halloween meanie, and for one reason only, over the past 6/7 years i have always had a good supply of treats for any callers, and they are not exactly cheap are they? but i just got really fed up with all these kids that would knock on your door and just stand there with their bags open and their mouths closed, i'm not an old duffer, but 'when i were a lad' :D and me and my mates all went out on Halloween we always had to have a good supply of rubbish jokes to tell or poor songs to sing before we were given anything, thats the way Halloween worked, now the kids dont do anything but still expect a good handful of treats, my son is 12 and is too old to go out Trick or Treating anymore but he did he was the same as most other kids nowadays, he would just stand there with his bag open and his mouth shut, times are changing, kids are changing, and Halloween Trick Or Treating is a thing of the past :(

unicorn
31-Oct-04, 22:30
I was away last nite and didnt realise kids would be going round last nite so when I took my daughter out tonight and nobody else was around we just came home! I must admit to feeling very very sorry for her...

Gizmo
31-Oct-04, 22:40
I was away last nite and didnt realise kids would be going round last nite so when I took my daughter out tonight and nobody else was around we just came home! I must admit to feeling very very sorry for her...

So what your saying is that as a child yourself you never knew that you didnt go out trick or treating on Halloween if it landed on a Sunday??, you went out on the Saturday instead, i always thought it was something we all knew, something to do with it being 'The Lords Day' and all that rubbish, no offence to all you religious folk, but the Devil has all the best tunes :cool:

phoenix
31-Oct-04, 22:56
I had around 30 children come around last night, they were magic and most had a joke to tell. I didnt see kids standing there with their bags open, nor did I see or sense any kind of aggressive behaviour. All round a thoroughly brilliant night, I was hoping there would be more coming around again tonight.:) As for Mums and Dads coming with them isnt that a sad reflection of todays society :(

Tugmistress
01-Nov-04, 00:32
sorry to say that i never went out trick or treating as a kid, and whenour daughter was little she tended to go out trick or treating with friends and their kids who didn't work stupid shifts like us so i suppose we have maybe missed out on a dying tradition. because of where we live we didn't get anyone up here, but then again, i wouldn't have known what to give them anyway :eyes

embow
01-Nov-04, 08:52
Trick or Treating! What nonsense! We always went Guizing
Pumpkins? What they? We always caved out lanterns from a good size swede!
The Americanising of a traditional Scottish custom(for that's where it originates folks)really gets on my goat(another reference to the tradition of the spirit world)!
Save the world from the American English!

JAWS
01-Nov-04, 10:08
When did All Souls Night or if you prefer, All Hallow's Eve become purely Scottish?

And how did the English Americans get the blame? Surely if it's a Scottish Tradition then the American Scots took it there and perverted it.

evelyn
01-Nov-04, 12:13
The real halloween meanies were the yobs who were snatching little kids treat bags from them. My son spotted two youths running towards Brown Place with a bag of goodies, only to go round the corner to find a little boy sobbing his heart out....they'd stolen his bag from him. Similar incident happened later on to another little girl who was out guisin' with her sister. Grrrrrrr.
Evelyn

Riffman
01-Nov-04, 12:22
We had stuff for the kids, but we didn't get a single one at the door on Sat or Sun!

:(

Riff

ŠAmethyst
01-Nov-04, 19:25
In the past, we were halloween meanies. My grandmother (who I live with) is involved with the Piskie Church - I don't think she likes the concept of Halloween. But this year, my mother (who is staying with us) had sweets in the house, even though none of us were in except for my grandfather (who isn't a guy to answer doors to little kids... he scares them). But I don't think anyone came to the door.

I think it has something to do with the house not being right next to the road as we have a rather large front lawn.

Had I been in, I'd have gladly given out sweets though - we always have chocolate in the house anyway (I demand having a supply of chocolate - good source of calcium and iron).

larcc
01-Nov-04, 20:14
I had about 30 kids round at mine on sat night,,, I had one group last night... I never answered the door as I had just come back from a family halloween party which the kids really enjoyed rather than go out geising. My son who is 7 his first halloween out on his own got his sweets taken away from him, he did eventually get them back, but I think the whole event has put him off.... I gave him my mobile phone so I could check up on him as it is not cool to go out with your mum...

And it has changed I opened the door and the kids just stand and look at you....and just say trick or treat!

George Brims
01-Nov-04, 20:33
As a Caithness exile now living in America, let me tell you that a pumpkin is a much better alternative for making a lantern than the traditional neep. Besides the attractive colour, they are incredibly easy to hollow out, and to carve the face. Growing up on a farm, I very often fell prey to the temptation to wander the rows of the field finding the biggest neep possible, only to end up with blistered hands trying to get it hollowed out. :( Finally, the smell of burning pumpkin is a lot less unpleasant than the smell of burning neep!

KitKat
01-Nov-04, 21:25
Ah but Cheordie, there was more challenge in a Strath neep than a Californian pumpkin.... and yer mither Catherine could make bonnie soup wi id!

scotsboy
02-Nov-04, 11:24
Ye can make soup wi pumpkin as well. And as for Scots tradition, well I have never heard a neep called a
swede except by an Englishman ;)

George Brims
02-Nov-04, 19:23
Well then scotsboy you must be one of them townies that only sees neeps at a grocer's shop. There used to be two kinds of neeps grown on Caithness farms, the regular neeps which were green on top, and the "swedish turnip" or swede as we called it, which was some kind of a crossbreed and had a purple colour on the top. The swedes predominated but I remember both kinds being grown side by side. We would feed both kinds to the cows and sheep, but only the swede (which was sweeter) was eaten by people. I am sure they're the only neeps sold at the greengrocers. Well I suppose there are also those wee white ones like you grow in your garden. Here in the US the swede is known as a rutabaga, and they're always wee and frequently woody like they were left in the ground too long.

We once had a huge pale white neep come up in on of our fields, identified by Donald Angus, an older man who worked for my uncle, as a mangel-wurzel - yes there is such a thing!

As for pumpkin soup, why waste the pumpkin on that when you can make pumpkin pie?

JAWS
02-Nov-04, 19:52
I always thought they were called Mangelworzels.

George Brims
02-Nov-04, 20:29
Nope JAWS I was unsure of the spelling myself so I checked the OED before posting! Mangel-wurzel is correct. Remember Wurzel Gummidge? I was pretty sure of that half!

golach
02-Nov-04, 20:43
Ye are a bunch o Tumshies....A Neep is a Scots word for a TURNIP
Golach

JAWS
02-Nov-04, 22:38
Sorry George Brims, I wasn't meaning to correct you, I just didn't read the last part of your post properly. I should have paid a little more attention to what I was reading.
Now I understand why my old teacher used to write very neatly across the bottom of my work the word "Careless" in red ink! :eek:
I shall put my Dunces Hat on and stand in the naughty corner or can't they even do that to you now? :(

ŠAmethyst
03-Nov-04, 20:55
Ye are a bunch o Tumshies....A Neep is a Scots word for a TURNIP

MMMMMM! Neep! Ooh, Haggis! *stomach rumbles... roll on Burns night!

rangers1873
06-Nov-04, 16:24
i those people that dont answer there doors or turn there lights out are the same people that put there kids out to go round doors and cant be bothered taking in a few sweets to give back to the kids that go out guising

2little2late
07-Nov-04, 00:00
The only reason kids go trick or treating nowadays is purely and simply greed.
There is no tradition left in halloween.
It's a cheap way of getting sweets. I don't send my children guysing because my children aren't greedy.
If kids came to my house they wouldn't get a thing because I am tight anyway.

They ask for trick or treat. If I played a trick on the kid's who came guysing they would be too happy, so why , if we didn't want to give them anything should they play a trick on us? :evil :evil

scotsboy
07-Nov-04, 05:05
Well then scotsboy you must be one of them townies that only sees neeps at a grocer's shop :lol:

Not quite George, but I have always known the purpley coloured ones Neeps as well, it must only be in Watten that they called them Swedes ;) :lol:

JAWS
07-Nov-04, 05:19
You've got me thinking now scotsboy, I always thought it was the soft Southerners who called them swedes but obviously not.
Does anybody know what part of Britain calls them Swedes and not Turnips?

scotsboy
07-Nov-04, 06:50
I think George has become anglociZed in the US of A :lol: He will be telling us next that those from the Parish of Bower are known as Swede Dockers and not neep dockers :lol:

Strangley the Turnip/Swede thing is an argument I get into a lot :lol:

As long as we all know how to make clapshot ;)

JAWS
07-Nov-04, 08:17
Clapshot? Now there's something I'll bet you spend a lot of time explaining!

golach
07-Nov-04, 11:15
No problem Jaws, here is the link
http://www.rampantscotland.com/recipes/blrecipe_clapshot.htm

Golach

scotsboy
07-Nov-04, 12:10
No mention of swede either ;) :lol: