PDA

View Full Version : 70's telly: series about IRA kidnap.......???

percy toboggan
18-Sep-06, 19:22
....hi:)
can you help.
In the late seventies I think or maybe very early eighties there was a t.v. drama/thriller series about a wealthy woman who was kidnapped by IRA terrorists. One of these was played by Derek Thompson ,who plays 'Charlie' in 'Casualty' It was quite violent, but all in context.It was around the time Muriel Mackay was kidnapped for real.

It was a gripping prog. and I've never really forgotten it.
Having just watched 13 episodes of 'Survivors' from the same era, and really enjoyed it, I'd like to get my hands on this one but can't remember the flipping title. I thought it might have been 'Out' which starred Tom Bell but that's a different one altogether - another good 'un by the way.

Does anyone have clue what I'm rambling on about?

p.s. 'Survivors' was a revelation. Great scripts, no bad language, no background music , intriguing storyline. Good acting.

pultneytooner
18-Sep-06, 20:06
....hi:)
can you help.
In the late seventies I think or maybe very early eighties there was a t.v. drama/thriller series about a wealthy woman who was kidnapped by IRA terrorists. One of these was played by Derek Thompson ,who plays 'Charlie' in 'Casualty' It was quite violent, but all in context.It was around the time Muriel Mackay was kidnapped for real.

It was a gripping prog. and I've never really forgotten it.
Having just watched 13 episodes of 'Survivors' from the same era, and really enjoyed it, I'd like to get my hands on this one but can't remember the flipping title. I thought it might have been 'Out' which starred Tom Bell but that's a different one altogether - another good 'un by the way.

Does anyone have clue what I'm rambling on about?

p.s. 'Survivors' was a revelation. Great scripts, no bad language, no background music , intriguing storyline. Good acting.
Could be harry's game?

George Brims
18-Sep-06, 20:13
Harry's Game was about how they sent an Army guy into Belfast to track down the IRA guys who had assassinated a government minister. A very good though essentially depressing story. I don't recall the one Percy is seeking.

golach
18-Sep-06, 20:20
could be harrys game see the link

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084053/

erli
18-Sep-06, 20:25
It was Harry's Game, he played Billy Something (something is not the last name, I just can't remember) it was 1981 or 2.

grumpyhippo
18-Sep-06, 20:47
Unfortunately the most common 70's programme about the IRA was often the 6 O'clock news.

percy toboggan
18-Sep-06, 22:13
No ,it wasn't 'Harry's Game' I'd have remembered the music.
This is really annoying now. There was a woman with dark hair, she may be called Harriet. An accomplished actress who has appeared in Shakespearean stuff. She was in 'Midsomer Murders' quite recently riding a bike! I only saw a fleeting glimpse of it, wish I'd got her name then.

I think the kidnap victim she played might have developed something of the 'Stockholm Syndrome' and half fallen for one of her abductors.
Investigations continue.
Does anyone else remember 'Out!' by the way? with Tom Bell. Great telly.

Bobinovich
18-Sep-06, 22:42
Could it possibly be "The Price"?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0198209/

there's also a synopsis from the US here...

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A0DE1DC113AF936A2575BC0A9609482 60

percy toboggan
19-Sep-06, 18:19
THE PRICE!!!!!!!!!!!!! YESSSSS
thank you, thank you so very much !!