PDA

View Full Version : Chestnut Roofing

catran
09-Jun-11, 15:18
Anyone heard of them???? The white van brigade appear to be busy in Caithness. They said been on a big contract and could [paint our roof for £1800 as they had some paint left over
asked for their card as he was putting one from the other in his hand but he told us they were spoken for and he would come back later.

Kodiak
09-Jun-11, 16:11
AHHH The old "Got some paint left over" routine. All the best cons start off with a line like this one. I would not have anything to do with them.

mey999
09-Jun-11, 17:17
Good grief 1800 quid we are working down in yorkshire and painting full houses for 500

Doreen
09-Jun-11, 17:27
There a con dont take them on we have just done our roof and the paint for it is not even near that amount there at it tell them where to go .

pat
09-Jun-11, 18:15
Definitely worth watching - I personally would not touch them with a very very long barge pole, but get a card from them and take number of vehicle and report 'dodgy folk' - they will be approaching many elderly folk and putting pressure on them to have roof, guttering, paint job etc done at very high prices for a terrible job.
Please report these to Trading Standards and the Police who have the authority to stop them, question and search their vehicle if they feel they have due cause - saves more folk getting done, physically as well as financially.
On Western Isles no one is allowed to trade door to door without 3 months notice and a licence - so a quick word to TS or police with us and the folk disappear or are accompanied onto the next ferry!
A fellow came here selling carpets - when I called TS, they brought the police too and they found this chap played baseball and had to keep his baseball bat in the front of his white van! My road was the first he tried after getting off overnight freight ferry - he was accompanied to the next ferry at lunchtime as he did not have a licence for trading.

cherokee
09-Jun-11, 18:39
I tried reporting a certain window company to Trading Standards some time ago, and their reply was;

" ********** (Said company) refuse to talk to us, so we cannot take this any further !" :eek: :eek: :eek:

tori
09-Jun-11, 20:29
£1800 you mad i would do it for 100 if you buy the paint lol what a con i no were i would of told them to go some old age pensioner will be getting scammed what a shame these people need reported

sutherland87
10-Jun-11, 11:57
i agree would never get this done the gaurantee aint worth the paper its written on people are spending a lot more on gettin their roofs painted but wat happens if the wood batons underneath are rotten your prob just as cheap getting your roof re done! there is a house in thurso who had the roof painted and its actually peelin off and looks awful!!!! it maddens me that these companies are coming up from down the line and charging a fortune whatever happened to putting money into our own community!!!!!!!:confused

Walter Ego
10-Jun-11, 17:36
i agree would never get this done the gaurantee aint worth the paper its written on people are spending a lot more on gettin their roofs painted but wat happens if the wood batons underneath are rotten your prob just as cheap getting your roof re done! there is a house in thurso who had the roof painted and its actually peelin off and looks awful!!!! it maddens me that these companies are coming up from down the line and charging a fortune whatever happened to putting money into our own community!!!!!!!:confused

You're absolutely right. We should stop these incomers ripping off our neighbours.

That should be left for our local cowboys to do.

Kevin Milkins
10-Jun-11, 18:50
What sort of paint do you put on a roof?

tori
10-Jun-11, 19:20
White Knight Roof Guard is a durable, anti-corrosive roof and structural paint that provides a tough protective coating. White Knight Roof Guard has been formulated to protect exterior roofs and structural surfaces. Something Like At

catran
10-Jun-11, 21:18
Aye it is high time they were stopped. There is a firm chesnut Roofing Co ltd in the Liverpool area, maybe that is where they got the T Shirts ha ha........and the shorts ho ho.

They were all over Wick yesterday morning, hopefully they have been chased. They did not come back with their credentials needless to say.

It is a sad that these people are getting off with it........Probably claiming benefits at the same time. Wonder if they have moved from Inver Caravan Park.

tori
10-Jun-11, 21:50
Probably claiming benefits at the same time. Wonder if they have moved from Inver Caravan Park.
catran your 100% right yes these people are claiming benefits i no who they are now i will be reporting them

catran
10-Jun-11, 23:05
Good show, it is a disgrace preying on the vulnerable and there is a heavy mob cruising around in a sort of coffee coloured 4 x 4, 09 reg but did not get that. Reckon they cruise around and if they spot a house needing a something send in the henchmen....I have the white van registration numbers.....and make of van....a wee bit of detective work but cannot figure out the phone numbers Glasgow 0141 530 3949 Edinburgh 0131 516 2643 Inverness 01463 897 842 direct line 07501 825 682 and when you phone these numbers they all go through to the mobile and now no one is answering ha ha ha, reckon they have wind of their unwelcome offers. The van reg number for the Stormproof Facias is NC b06 TYV Ford Transit 280 SWB panel van and the guy offering the roof painting no phone numbers as he would not give the cards which he held tightly onto into hos hand but hios van was DX58 BHJ white

pat
11-Jun-11, 07:59
Hope you will now get in touch with Trading Standards and police with this info - police can at least be on the watch, stop them and ask questions which is often enough to warn them away from the area.
Do not know if Trading Standards in Highlands work on a Saturday but worth trying to contact or when talking to police mention about trying to contact trading standards and not knowing how to contact at weekend.
As police and TS did with the one caught outside house - on way back down road from visiting me, so only took them 5 minutes. They stopped him and started asking questions, asked what he was doing in area, asked to see stuff selling, told me it was Persian rugs (TS verified they were not!), spotted baseball bat in front of vehicle and pick axe handle in back, along with huge axe for cutting firewood! He was extremely lucky to get off with only being accompanied to the next ferry and sent on his way.

Doreen
11-Jun-11, 19:57
Well i had them at my door yesterday asking if i wanted my roof done and told him ive just had it cleaned waiting for it to be painted he quizzed me who was doing it and at what cost i said to him how muc he was charging and to my shock he called me a nosey old bitch imentioned to him why the men up on the roof two doors away had not got safty harnesses on which i thought was a health and safy issue he got really cheeky and hurried away the van was white with no name or phone number. Ifelt threatened by him so i called the police they came right away took a statment and went after them they are now looking into it.

tori
11-Jun-11, 20:06
he called you a nosey old bitch for asking how much he charged what a disgrace i think you did the right thing and phoned the police on them good on you

catran
11-Jun-11, 21:36
Good for you calling the police, they asked me for £1800 and I just laughed and he then said how much are you willing to give,? A bunch of crooks doing daylight robbery

starfish
11-Jun-11, 22:34
Good show, it is a disgrace preying on the vulnerable and there is a heavy mob cruising around in a sort of coffee coloured 4 x 4, 09 reg but did not get that. Reckon they cruise around and if they spot a house needing a something send in the henchmen....I have the white van registration numbers.....and make of van....a wee bit of detective work but cannot figure out the phone numbers Glasgow 0141 530 3949 Edinburgh 0131 516 2643 Inverness 01463 897 842 direct line 07501 825 682 and when you phone these numbers they all go through to the mobile and now no one is answering ha ha ha, reckon they have wind of their unwelcome offers. The van reg number for the Stormproof Facias is NC b06 TYV Ford Transit 280 SWB panel van and the guy offering the roof painting no phone numbers as he would not give the cards which he held tightly onto into hos hand but hios van was DX58 BHJ white

just look up the number plate as you quoted ncbo6tyv this registration does not exsist on the data base and dx58dhj is coming up as uninsured

Walter Ego
11-Jun-11, 22:43
just look up the number plate as you quoted ncbo6tyv this registration does not exsist on the data base and dx58dhj is coming up as uninsured

Too many digits in the first one and the second one isn't the same as what the previous poster put.

If we are going to organise a lynch mob, lets at least try to organise enough brain cells to get both the number plates right before we find them guilty.:roll:

starfish
11-Jun-11, 23:13
Too many digits in the first one and the second one isn't the same as what the previous poster put.

If we are going to organise a lynch mob, lets at least try to organise enough brain cells to get both the number plates right before we find them guilty.:roll:

sorry walter ego that was a typing error but dx58bhj still comes up uninsured

catran
12-Jun-11, 11:32
Right DX58BHJ is correct. Saw it with my own eyes and it was white and the guy had an English accent, stocky with shorts and a Chestnut Roofing Company T Shirt.......

The NC06TYV white van was parked in Inver Caravan Park last Sunday in Dunbeath for definite........The mocha colured 4 x 4 did not get the number (stupid me) nor the malke but it had an 09 plate did not think at that stage to take the number. I checked out the NC06TYV number plate and it had two previous owners but was not stolen ha ha

Doreen
12-Jun-11, 14:28
And even worse after the police left i was outside my back garden and they had the cheek to use my next door neighbours garden tap to get there supply of water from so i said to them if you dont remove that hose now from my neighbors tap i will got the police back my neighbours are of on holiday and we said we would keep an eye on things.The mess of moss they left in there garden is disgraceful funnily enough i have not seen a van since any one who gets a call for them should get the police they are ripping people off i feel it for the eldery whos very vaunarable with people like that.

starfish
12-Jun-11, 14:41
the vehicle nc06tyv is un insured

Corrie 3
12-Jun-11, 15:11
the vehicle nc06tyv is un insured
Is someone going to tell the Police?, how do you know its un-insured?

C3.....:mad:

equusdriving
12-Jun-11, 16:36
Is someone going to tell the Police?, how do you know its un-insured?

C3.....:mad:

This can be found on the m.i.d (motor insurance database) at http://askmid.com/

catran
12-Jun-11, 19:41
Interesting indeed. The plot deepens, what can one do to keep these people off the roads and ripping honest hardworking people off with their patter about left over paint, facia boards ect from a big contract they had in the area..........Police should be notified to look out for those rogues

pat
12-Jun-11, 19:51
Has anyone up there contacted the police or Trading Standards so they know about them at least?
If you have not, please think about the elderly or not so able who may be very intimidated and hassled by these people - you would not like your parents, grandparents etc so please do something about reporting your suspicions and doubts etc.

starfish
12-Jun-11, 19:55
Well i had them at my door yesterday asking if i wanted my roof done and told him ive just had it cleaned waiting for it to be painted he quizzed me who was doing it and at what cost i said to him how muc he was charging and to my shock he called me a nosey old bitch imentioned to him why the men up on the roof two doors away had not got safty harnesses on which i thought was a health and safy issue he got really cheeky and hurried away the van was white with no name or phone number. Ifelt threatened by him so i called the police they came right away took a statment and went after them they are now looking into it.
the police have been informed as in the link above but will they do anything who knows

catran
12-Jun-11, 20:10
Hope the bobbies get them, they deserve to be caught and put off the road, driving with no insurance is worse than ripping the old wifies off......

Doreen
12-Jun-11, 20:53
I hope to hear the outcome of me reporting it cheeky arrogant man having the cheek to insult me there a bunch of cowboys.

tori
13-Jun-11, 10:07
I hope to hear the outcome of me reporting it cheeky arrogant man having the cheek to insult me there a bunch of cowboys.

Have U Heard Anything Yet

Doreen
13-Jun-11, 13:57
No not yet hope there locked up but i think they have done a runner and if there vans are uninsured hope the crusher gets had of them have not seen them about .

catran
13-Jun-11, 18:26
Hope they get locked up and hope the Social security is alerted as well. Coming over the Ord by the Van full.......Speak about cheek. They never came back to my street , I asked about their mates camping at Inver and also asked for their card which he was waving about that scared them. It should be reported in the Press as it is not everyone who is on Caithness.Org

H
13-Jun-11, 19:43
A couple of years ago an elderly person that I know was quoted £2000 + VAT. They were talked into the job being done as there was a 10 year guarantee, would be totally professional blah blah blah. Job finished and they asked for cash - £2,350. Lady said she did not have this amount in cash but they could have a cheque. They adised that they would wait outside house until she went to the bank. Surprise, surprise no receipt.

Not long later I noticed a couple of tiles had been broken where they had stood on them and the rhone pipe had not been replaced. I phoned the office number - got a house. Someone promised to visit and rectify. Still waiting.

Would not recommend the guys from Inverness.

Doreen
13-Jun-11, 22:51
Well i believe one of the boys that was dioing the job is on jobseekers allowance oh dear [evil]

catran
14-Jun-11, 18:45
Whatever next, the mind bogles

tori
14-Jun-11, 19:12
hmm there staying up at dunbeath beach in a campervan just seen them

Corrie 3
14-Jun-11, 20:23
hmm there staying up at dunbeath beach in a campervan just seen them
Does Dunbeath have a beach???
C3.....:confused

tori
14-Jun-11, 20:40
yeah 2 one what is big and a small one

Corrie 3
14-Jun-11, 21:31
yeah 2 one what is big and a small one
I was told they were camping up at Inver Caravan Park, so what you are saying is that they are camped on the beach?

C3.....:confused

tori
14-Jun-11, 21:44
they was staying at the inver park but maybe they got chased or maybe the police is looking for them and there on the run who nos. they been at the small beach car park since yesterday

Walter Ego
15-Jun-11, 14:38
You really couldn't make this up...no-one would believe you.

Good grief.

Anfield
15-Jun-11, 15:10
they was staying at the inver park but maybe they got chased or maybe the police is looking for them and there on the run who nos. they been at the small beach car park since yesterday

Maybe they are an Al-Qaeda cell unit about to mount an attack on Dounreay

ducati
15-Jun-11, 15:59
Maybe they are an Al-Qaeda cell unit about to mount an attack on Dounreay

And just doing the roofs on the side to finance the operation :eek:

Corrie 3
15-Jun-11, 16:03
Did you get the Reg No of the vans Tori?..Did they match the ones stated above?..If so I would call the police and tell them!!

C3.....:eek:

catran
16-Jun-11, 11:36
Yip get the registration numbers, interesting, thought they would be long since gone gone. We will have to keep our eyes open and there are plenty police vehicles on the go between Inverness and Wick

Doreen
16-Jun-11, 13:08
Ireally hope they nail them if they havent already .