PDA

View Full Version : Roustabout Job urgently needed

bazel989
08-Jun-11, 18:54
Hi guys im a lad of 22 and im desperate to get offshore. Im willing to work my ass off to get there. I understand i need my RGIT but is there any other courses that could help. I have a basic certificate in welding from a 3 month course at fraserburgh. Also anyhints and tips on the cv part would be very helpful.

annemarie482
08-Jun-11, 19:59
its really hard to get offshore these days..... (my oh has been offshore 7 years now)

firstly do your own survival and medical. saves the company time and money, making you available to go asap
(but check they are recognised by offshore companies)

have a valid passport.

write to every offshore company you can google with a cover letter and cv.

follow up your sent cv's by regularly phoning the hr departments to "check they have recieved them"

if refused, dont be afraid to re-apply.

apply to agencies that can take you offshore eg: atlantic resources, marine offshore etc
(they could get you a 3 trip trial which can result in a job. )

obviously, a character or work reference from a friend who works for the company is beneficial ;)

lastly, offshore companies seem to have a liking for farmers or fishermen due to the nature of their work.
experience in these areas have been known to help.

it took my partner (who was a digger driver/ farmer) 3 years to get offshore but the persistence paid off.

hope thats of some help to you :)

theone
08-Jun-11, 20:11
Hi guys im a lad of 22 and im desperate to get offshore. Im willing to work my ass off to get there. I understand i need my RGIT but is there any other courses that could help. I have a basic certificate in welding from a 3 month course at fraserburgh. Also anyhints and tips on the cv part would be very helpful.

As well as your BOSIET you'll need your medical.

As a roustabout your best hope is to bombard the agancies with CV's and phonecalls. You've little hope of a company or main contractor job without experience.

Good luck, it's hard enough getting a start with a trade!

EDIT: Don't limit yourself to roustabout work. CAPE/RGB etc all employ unskilled workers for anything from pressure washing to sand jetting. Maybe even try to get in with the pressure testing teams.

cherokee
09-Jun-11, 18:48
My OH may have some contact numbers (for companies) that may be of help to you.
Please feel free to PM me, if you think this could help you.