PDA

View Full Version : wick roundabout

Fran
30-Oct-04, 02:56
[mad] Have you noticed how most drivers dont know what to do at the roundabout? I am surprised there havent been serious accidents there. Drivers hang about wondering what to do, or drivers toot at the car at front when the poor driver is waiting to go.They go when they shouldnt go and a lot take chances. dont they remember to give way to the right, not to the left as a lot of them do. If everyone gave way to the right and were a bit more patient, it would be a lot safer at the roundabout. I dont know how half of them would cope with the motorway roundabouts at london!!! [mad]

JAWS
30-Oct-04, 04:55
Driving in London is easy, all you have to do is remember the Rules.

1 Traffic which is not stationary must travel at least 20 MPH more than the speed limit permits.

2 Everybody else is a nuisance and has no right to be in your way. (They will certainly be thinking the same thing.)

3 Traffic Lights on red can only be obeyed unless you are at least the fourth car back when the lights change. (If the vehicle behind you is a bus or a taxi then you must not stop under any circumstances because they certainly won't)

4 Roads marked for two lanes of traffic are really meant for four lanes.

5 If somebody in a huge car blows his horn at you then move out of the way, he probably carries a gun.

6 Explain to your insurance company that you will sell your house to pay the insurance premium, you will also have to convince them that you are not totally insane.

7 Learn how to repair ca\r body work, you will have to use the skill at least once a week.

8 Remember that cars go faster when your hand is constantly on the horn.

9 Pedestrians are fair game even when walking on the pavements.

10 At roundabouts and junctions just keep going, somebody will probably give way. Should you be forced to stop at any such place then make sure you have a good book, you will need one to keep you entertained whilst you wait until 3 am when you might just find a gap in the traffic.

And finally, Road Rage is compulsary at lease twice a day except Sunday!

Anybody who thinks that drivers in Wick are impatient must live on a different planet to the average city dweller.
Mini-roundabouts were invented so drivers could annoy their insurance companies with all the claims.
Simple "Stop" signs on the side roads at the junction would save all the problems that particular roundabout causes, there's not that much traffic using the road for anything else to be needed.

tides of pentland firth
30-Oct-04, 11:53
Don't cars coming down the Cliff, going across the bridge have right of way?
I heared the problem at the roundabout infront of the hospital is, half the cars give way to the right and the other half give way to cars coming down the cliff. :confused

Fran
30-Oct-04, 15:58
[lol] No, cars coming down the cliff going across the bridge must always give way to the right...from union street and river street and they must give right of way to traffic coming across the bridge on their right. Cars coming down from the station must give way to everyone coming down and around :eek:

Fran
30-Oct-04, 16:00
:eyes Jaws, I really liked your piece on motorists, very good...it reminds me of caithness motorists!!!!! :lol:

JAWS
30-Oct-04, 22:10
FRAN, Caithness drivers are far too polite and careful to drive in any of the large cities. Drivers here give you time and space and will make allowances if you make a mistake. Try that in a city and they will bully you out of their way and make things as awkward as possible.

Both Wick and Thurso even when they are busy are quieter than driving round any large city at 6 o'clock on a Sunday Morning. I know which drivers I prefer being amongst.

Fran
31-Oct-04, 00:12
:roll: Jaws... I agree that most motorists in Caithness are good, its just at the roundabout that they get lost. In the city everyone is in a mad rush [evil]

Tugmistress
31-Oct-04, 00:38
when i first moved up here a couple of years ago now, it was so pleasant to drive in this county. drivers are polite, couteous and generally sensible (ok there are exceptions occasionally).
I moved up here from living in the west side of hull and working on the east side of hull, anytime of day or night there were traffic jams, nutters and downright dangerous drivers guaranteed to be met at least once per mile travelled.
before that i lived in derby and for my sins i drove taxis for a living for 5 years! i wonder now how the hell i coped with that!

the only thing to remember for driving in a city as far as i am concerned is, if you see a gap go for it especially if the car coming towards you is newer than yours........ they can't afford even higher premiums ha ha ha :lol: