PDA

View Full Version : Scottish power

John Little
08-Jun-11, 11:29
Sorry guys but this is one way in which Scotland is leading the way where I definitely do not wish to follow...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/06/08/energy-bills-to-rise-by-200-as-scottish-power-unleashes-massive-price-rises-115875-23187022/

ducati
08-Jun-11, 11:38
Sorry guys but this is one way in which Scotland is leading the way where I definitely do not wish to follow...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/06/08/energy-bills-to-rise-by-200-as-scottish-power-unleashes-massive-price-rises-115875-23187022/

Just cos it says Scottish in the title......just like Npower, Eon, Scottish & Southern Energy (Hydro) British Gas etc. etc. they supply to the whole of the UK and beyond.

John Little
08-Jun-11, 11:45
So.... Scottish does not really mean 'Scottish'...

If we applied this to other 'Scottish' things then it could be really disconcerting :eek:

dozy
08-Jun-11, 11:49

If we applied this to other 'Scottish' things then it could be really disconcerting :eek:

In this case Scottish means "Spanish" .Its the Spaniards that will be warming themselves the your cash ..Ain't the free market great .

pmcd
08-Jun-11, 11:58
Free market or freewheelin' market? Banks, power companies, supermarkets - all of them cartels by any other name. The only hard choice for them is which one of a limited number will test the water first. Once that's done, and the initial screams of agony in the press have gone to wrap the fish and chips, then the others follow in the slipstream. This time round it was "Scottish Power", next time "British Gas", and so on. If only the cloth-eared prats running the Gumment would agree that cartels are illegal according to their own legislation, and take some kind of action, then there'd be a few more warm, well-fed grannies at the end of this stupidity.

Corrie 3
08-Jun-11, 12:02
Lets hope that when Scotland is a free country once more that Alex has the wisdom to set up a Nationalised power company which will provide power to all of Scotland for a third of what we are paying now!!!!

Roll on the day!!!!

C3.......;)

ducati
08-Jun-11, 12:06

Yes, I bought a Scotch egg once, in Maidstone. :eek:

golach
08-Jun-11, 12:45
Just cos it says Scottish in the title......just like Npower, Eon, Scottish & Southern Energy (Hydro) British Gas etc. etc. they supply to the whole of the UK and beyond.

Npower is a German company
Eon is Finnish owned
Scottish Power is owned by Iberdrola a Spanish company
British Gas is owned by Centrica soon to be bought by a Russian company
Scottish Hydro is the only Scottish owned company out of all that lot.
So nae luck John, you have not rattled the Nasty Nationalists cage :lol:

oldmarine
08-Jun-11, 15:22
I hate to see all this happen to Scotland my favorite country outside the USA.

John Little
08-Jun-11, 20:51
Yes, I bought a Scotch egg once, in Maidstone. :eek:

Ah! But as a Scot might tell you, they are not Scotch but Scots....

Let's scotch that one right now - and mine's a dram of...

golach
08-Jun-11, 22:22
Ah! But as a Scot might tell you, they are not Scotch but Scots....

Let's scotch that one right now - and mine's a dram of...
sorry John you got it wrong again Scotch Egg is an English invention [lol]

The London department store Fortnam & Masons claims to have invented Scotched Eggs (original name)in 1738 but they may have been inspired by the a mogul dish nagrisi kofta ("Narcissus meatballs").

Rheghead
08-Jun-11, 22:37
I'm afraid that a whimful £200 rise in gas bills from the utilities will be the tip of the iceberg as long as we can't or not willing to break away from our reliance on fossil fuels.

bekisman
08-Jun-11, 22:44
Industry experts warn the cost of subsidising renewables will increase household energy bills. At present the renewables element of the typical bill is an average £55 a year, but this could increase to as much as £120 by 2014. The respected UK Energy Research Centre has predicted that by 2050 the subsidy will cost the economy at least £17billion a year, the equivalent of an extra £700 a year per household."

http://www.knot.org.uk/Why%20we%20Object/Economics/ (http://www.knot.org.uk/Why%20we%20Object/Economics/)

ywindythesecond
08-Jun-11, 22:46
I'm afraid that a whimful £200 rise in gas bills from the utilities will be the tip of the iceberg as long as we can't or not willing to break away from our reliance on fossil fuels.
What other reliable fuels are available to us at the moment, apart from nuclear? And is it not foolish to break away from a reliable fuel source until there is an equally reliable alternative available?
That's AVAILABLE, not potentially available and not occasionally available, but reliably available.

golach
08-Jun-11, 22:52
What other reliable fuels are available to us at the moment, apart from nuclear? And is it not foolish to break away from a reliable fuel source until there is an equally reliable alternative available?
That's AVAILABLE, not potentially available and not occasionally available, but reliably available.

There is plenty wind and space in Caithness and hot air in Holyrood to use as fuel [lol]

Rheghead
08-Jun-11, 22:58

But that's the whole thing, I read this morning from a paper extract that the UK will be importing 80% of its gas and oil in 10 years because output from north sea is dwindling by ~8% per year. That says to me that fossil fuels are neither reliable, available or even potentially or occasionally available when we need them. The good times are over and relying on foreign fuels will cripple the UK economy.

oldmarine
09-Jun-11, 02:24
There are some things which individuals cannot control. This is one of them.

Niall Fernie
09-Jun-11, 02:48
Still a bit of an expensive solution but becoming more and more an attractive investment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZyvjXHlBvA

Stefan
09-Jun-11, 09:20
When I win the lottery I'll have the solar setup, the car and the house to go with it .... shame I don't play :-(

John Little
09-Jun-11, 09:22
Yes - the setup for solar is spensive!

I had this more in mind;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtiztKeZgPg

Scotland sits on so much coal that it seems- well - obvious! Especially as most of it is under the North Sea. Known reserves exceed 732 Billion tonnes. That's just Scottish reserves...

BTW - imho there is absolutely nothing wrong with using fossil fuels if the technology can be developed to do it cleanly.

ducati
09-Jun-11, 11:21
Yes - the setup for solar is spensive!

I had this more in mind;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtiztKeZgPg

Scotland sits on so much coal that it seems- well - obvious! Especially as most of it is under the North Sea. Known reserves exceed 732 Billion tonnes. That's just Scottish reserves...

BTW - imho there is absolutely nothing wrong with using fossil fuels if the technology can be developed to do it cleanly.

Probably no worse than oil and there is no appetite to stop using that. Although, we can probably trace the start of the build up of CO2 in the atmosphere to the first use of coal on an industrial scale.

RecQuery
09-Jun-11, 12:38
I wonder how stuff like this is not classed as price fixing and profiteering. Also strange how energy prices never go down when the wholesale cost drops.

ducati
09-Jun-11, 15:02
I wonder how stuff like this is not classed as price fixing and profiteering. Also strange how energy prices never go down when the wholesale cost drops.

Yes I said that but apparently they do.