PDA

View Full Version : Multi-lingual orgers

pultneytooner
17-Sep-06, 21:44
Can you have a conversation in another language apart from english?

Alice in Blunderland
17-Sep-06, 21:57
Ich kann Deutsch sprechen !!!!!!! dont know about my spelling :lol:

pultneytooner
17-Sep-06, 21:59
Ich kann Deutsch sprechen !!!!!!! dont know about my spelling :lol:
Sie sprechen deutsches sehr gut

Alice in Blunderland
17-Sep-06, 22:02
danke,Not a bad job of German yourself:cool:

_Ju_
17-Sep-06, 22:03
Ek kan en bietje nederlands praat, et ausi un petit peut francoise. Mi espanol no es muy malo, mas falo mesmo bem pro carrago Portugues, pa'!;)

When you come from a small country with a big tourist industry, you learn to "listen with open ears". I think that alot of British people are so used to everone else making the effort to learn English that generally they tend not to try learning another language. That is sad when you consider the side benefits: studies have proven that having a second language is associated with a decreased risk of dementia diseases in old(er) age.

Bobinovich
17-Sep-06, 22:04
Sorry but I'm limited to a smattering of High School French / Franglais and an even smaller smattering of Spanish - my mother tongue for all of 2 years!

Oh yeah, I also speek gobbledigook, technogarbage and pig latin.[lol]

_Ju_
17-Sep-06, 22:10
Were you born in Spain, then Bob?

Bobinovich
17-Sep-06, 22:15
Were you born in Spain, then Bob?

Yes - my father still lives there (Costa Brava) though haven't been in touch in 20 years (my choice) and my sister moved to the same area a couple of years ago

sweetpea
17-Sep-06, 22:23
I speak tongues, if anyone needs a translation:)

porshiepoo
No seguro si remeber de I la esta derecha.
Espero qu este tenga sentido, el haya sido un di largo plazo.

So, did that make sense or am I rustier than I remember???????:(

Gleber2
Moi, j'ai travaillé en France quelque fois et maintenant je parle Francais pas mal. Where are the acutes and graves on this keyboard?

_Ju_
17-Sep-06, 22:24
If you heard alot of Spanish when you were a toddler, you could probably pick it up very easily if you wanted to. Your ear is already trained.:)

unicorn
17-Sep-06, 22:24
trying hard to learn turkish but soooooo hard. :(

_Ju_
17-Sep-06, 22:26
Moi, j'ai travaille en France quelque fois et maintenant je parle Francais pas mal. Where are the acutes and graves on this keyboard?

There are none, unless you short cut your key board and memorize the short cuts...... I hate that too. (not having all the right "squiggles")

Bobinovich
17-Sep-06, 22:30
If you heard alot of Spanish when you were a toddler, you could probably pick it up very easily if you wanted to. Your ear is already trained.:)

I spoke to my sister a little while back and we were discussing various words and phrases - she said I got my tongue around the accent quite naturally so you're probably right.

Maybe when the kids are older I'll try a course and then surprise her when we speak :D

rockchick
17-Sep-06, 22:30
Moi, j'ai travaille en France quelque fois et maintenant je parle Francais pas mal. Where are the acutes and graves on this keyboard?

Laff...according to Babelfish, you just said "Me, I have work in France some time and now I speak French step badly"!!!!

Gleber2
17-Sep-06, 22:32
Laff...according to Babelfish, you just said "Me, I have work in France some time and now I speak French step badly"!!!!

What's Babelfish???

If my memory serves me well(though sometimes I wonder) quelque means several. If my memory has it wrong , correct me. I was better received in Montreal than the Canadians who could'nt speak French at all.

Bobinovich
17-Sep-06, 22:34
There are none, unless you short cut your key board and memorize the short cuts...... I hate that too. (not having all the right "squiggles")

Not true - use Ctrl + Alt (or use the Alt Gr key) to add acute accents

i.e. Ctrl + Alt + e = é, Alt Gr + a = á, etc.

I'm not sure if there's any more but I'll take a look.

Alternatively there's a Character Map applet (usually in Start > All Programs > Accessories (or possible > System Tools) which you can use to select & copy various accents into the clipboard.

porshiepoo
17-Sep-06, 22:37
Asi pues, esto marca sentido a ti? Quisiera saber si todavia lo consigo.

Gleber2
17-Sep-06, 22:38
Not true - use Ctrl + Alt (or use the Alt Gr key) to add acute accents

i.e. Ctrl + Alt + e = é, Alt Gr + a = á, etc.

I'm not sure if there's any more but I'll take a look.

Alternatively there's a Character Map applet (usually in Start > All Programs > Accessories (or possible > System Tools) which you can use to select & copy various accents into the clipboard.

Cheers. I now have written I have worked in France.

pedromcgrory
17-Sep-06, 23:44
kopsi sluga na varym dupek, anyone know wot it means ?

Fran
18-Sep-06, 01:17
There are spanish lessons being held in wick college every wednesday at 7pm

htwood
18-Sep-06, 04:22
Studied Spanish the longest, but most fluent in Brasilian portuguese. Studied Italian in preparation for a 3 month bicycle trip, so now I mix all three of them terribly. I know alot of Finnish words related to fishing/boats/growing potatoes/complaining about short summer/making a pig jump the stye (and a few good curses).

JAWS
18-Sep-06, 04:56
Other languages? Broad Lancashire and Pure Anglo-Saxon. The first I doubt you would understand and the second would get me banned so you'll just have to take my word for it. ;)

Hellas
18-Sep-06, 08:54
I can speak fluent French, good Greek and Italian and can understand and stutteringly reply in Spanish and German - thanks to living overseas for 15 years and living and working in the above languages - I do sometimes get a bit mixed up by starting in one language and finishing in another but unlike my two children I think and dream only in English....

obiron
18-Sep-06, 09:10
i think i speak a foreign language cause everytime i ask the kids to tidy their room (5 times on sat alone) they look at me like they dont understand. seem to get english very quickly when i mention money thou.
wish i could speak another language though.

squidge
18-Sep-06, 09:23
I speak good french - my parents live there and i can understand some spanish although i dont speak it.

Elenna
18-Sep-06, 12:50
My grandparents spoke German...especially my mum's mother...so I heard/spoke it a lot when young, and then took it up through what would probably be A-level equivalent in school. It has been a lot of years since I have used it at all, though. I can still understand quite a bit, but am very shy about speaking myself.

Then I went to Uni in the SW USA and had Spanish there...again, I can still understand bits and pieces, but don't really speak it. Add in a smattering of both French and Italian (influence from a friend of mine), and thats my linguistic ability summarised! :)

Lolabelle
18-Sep-06, 13:10
We had German neighbours when I was a kid and we all used to speak it in a very basic way. I then continued to learn it at school. But now??? I doubt it, I think I can understand a fair bit, but I don't think I could converse.
But other than that, Australian, and I think at times that is a language all it's own.:Razz

canuck
18-Sep-06, 15:29
[quote=Gleber2;
If my memory serves me well(though sometimes I wonder) quelque means several. If my memory has it wrong , correct me. I was better received in Montreal than the Canadians who could'nt speak French at all.[/quote]

quelque-whatever.

I'll let you in on a secret. It was your Caithness accent that made your reception in Montreal so special. And so it should have been.

Most Montrealers when they hear an English Canadian speaking French switch to English. For most of us that is just fine because what is spoken in Quebec is more "quebecois" French than the European French English Canadian kids learn in school.

Gleber2
18-Sep-06, 16:06
quelque-whatever.

Should I have used plusier? I speak often but have not written French in forty years or more.

canuck
18-Sep-06, 16:44
Should I have used plusier? I speak often but have not written French in forty years or more.

plusieurs peut-etre

Gleber2
18-Sep-06, 17:40
plusieurs peut-etre

D'accord et merci.

rockchick
18-Sep-06, 18:51
What's Babelfish???

If my memory serves me well(though sometimes I wonder) quelque means several. If my memory has it wrong , correct me. I was better received in Montreal than the Canadians who could'nt speak French at all.

Babelfish is a website that translates blocks of text from one language into another. The name was taken from the fish in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy that instantly translated intergalactic languages...

If you go to http://babelfish.altavista.com/ you will see what I'm talking about

Kenn
18-Sep-06, 22:36
Gorthewer da fatla genough why? Gast glawara , dhys in chy?

Whitewater
18-Sep-06, 22:46
Hi rockchick, thats a great site, just had some fun on it. It will be great for learning a language

Ann
18-Sep-06, 23:07
Babelfish doesn't recognise Gaelic!

Fran
19-Sep-06, 02:47
Habla ingles alguien aqui?Buenos dias, como esta? Buena suerte!

Elena
19-Sep-06, 10:23
Hei htwood - no voi helvetti, kiroiletko sinä suomeksi?!!!!

Naefearjustbeer
19-Sep-06, 10:27
I cannot speak any other lingos. I had wanted to learn german at school but they insisted to do german I would have to learn french as well. I hated learning french with a passion so there was no way I was going to do it just so I could choose german as a subject. German was my best subject in second year at high school scoring in the high 9o percents for my written and spoken tests compared to me scraping 50 percent in my english and lot worse for french. I therefor had to drop german after second year. It would of also made my other subjects a bit short for job applications when I left school as I needed my sciences to get into the type of work I do.

paris
20-Sep-06, 14:53
Poo , i remember you trying to teach me spanish, your soooooooo good at it :lol: but me well i just had to give up. LOL LOL LOL My nanna was french but i cant even speak that. jan x