PDA

View Full Version : Dog dandruff?

telfordstar
05-Jun-11, 22:21
I have a ruby cavalier king Charles spaniel puppy and tonight before and after brushing him I noticed tiny White specs on his coat on his back. I'm not sure wha it s it looks like dandruff. Any advice appreciated.

Dadie
05-Jun-11, 22:26
Dander....a posh word for doggie dandruff.
Just brush him regulary and if need be try a doggie shampoo (not too often).

S&LHEN
05-Jun-11, 23:10
Could be fleas as well so better getting a special shampoo to be on the safe side

Leanne
05-Jun-11, 23:46
What do you feed? Pedigree and Bakers are notorious for it (and other things).

_Ju_
07-Jun-11, 12:36
Leanne, it is so true that food will influence the state of the skin. Aside from certain brands of food (useually lower quality foods, I always found canned/humid pouches to be worse than kibble. And the worst culprit for itchy/flaky skin in dog? Cheese!!!!!!!!

telfordstar
07-Jun-11, 22:07
No it's not fleas I don't think he has been treated regulary. He's fed on pedigree for puppy's and bakers dried food ir puppy's.

Dadie
07-Jun-11, 23:20
Its the food!
Its like junk food for toddlers.
Try burns or the one in the vets...is it james wellbeloved or something..?
Or royal canin (expensive) but do wet food too.
More natural foods = less breakouts of flakey skin.
Which mean less vet visits and not so much expensive shampoo and a calmer dog...win win situation.

Leanne
08-Jun-11, 13:28
He's fed on pedigree for puppy's and bakers dried food ir puppy's.

There you have it! As Dadie said - it's like stuffing your child with Maccy D's every day and wondering why they develop health issues...

There are lots of feed about that are healthier for your pup - they just come at a price...

If you want to save yourself some cash (as it is VAT free) and feed your dog less junk, you can't go wrong with working dog food. I feed mine Kildrummi - it's got charcoal, some cereal, meaty biscuits, veggi bits and even has pieces of dried chicken. And to top it off it's only about £10 for a 20kg bag!!!