PDA

View Full Version : Hire car information?

John Little
02-Jun-11, 15:20
Supposing circumstances allow for us to visit Caithness in the late summer- and a lot hangs attendance on that, mainly house-moving....

But supposing we are able to do it, herself does not wish to drive north- she hates long drives. Flying is also out for she avoids it where possible.

But train she does not mind, finding that a pleasure, so I have thought that we might pack panniers and bikes and head for Wick or Thurso and hire a cottage for a week.

But being carless would be a bind- and cycling from a cottage limits your range. So it was in my mind to hire an MPV for a week big enough to take two bikes with the front wheels removed- or even a car with a bike rack. Preferably to be picked up from near the station.

Nothing beats local knowledge so I thought I would ask my fellow orgers for any recommendations that may feel able to make in that line- and all knowledge gratefully received.

Especially if you are in the car hire business!! :D

Kodiak
02-Jun-11, 15:40
The only two I can think of is either Dunnet's Garage or Richard's Garage. They are both in Wick and Thurso and here are links to their web sites. Dont know if either of them have what you are looking for but a phone call might help.

http://www.dunnets.co.uk/Default.asp?Page=27

http://www.richards-garage.co.uk/hire/

gillsbay
02-Jun-11, 23:12
I think that's about it up here, you may want to think about taking the train to Inverness and picking up a hire car there you will get a better range to choose from and probably cheaper.
It also takes about half the time from Inverness by car although the train journey is good once in a while.

John Little
03-Jun-11, 10:41
Thankyou for the information- we do quite fancy the train journey from Inverness, though it is long - but it is very scenic too if you are not in a hurry. I see that Richards do a Combi van which would do the trick I think - if it has back windows- herself likes to see out of the back....

I'll give them a ring if we do go north...

poppett
04-Jun-11, 13:33
If you phone Alistair at Richards Garage and tell him what you especially need he may be able to hire something in for you. Very helpful chap where vehicle hire is concerned.

Hope you do manage to visit.