PDA

View Full Version : Sorry Sight

Novice
02-Jun-11, 11:59
I was browsing You Tube this morning and found this very sad clip of what can happen when birds meet turbines.
It is good food for thought for those in favour of these objects, if watching an animal die upsets you then please do not watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NAAzBArYdw&feature=related

I found it upsetting but this fact of life and death for our wildlife needs to be shown.

Novice.

RecQuery
02-Jun-11, 12:15
Just seems like evolution in action to me similar to this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppered_moth_evolution), I'm not saying we stick turbines everywhere but people need some perspective.

Kodiak
02-Jun-11, 15:47
Birds do fly into wind turbines. They also fly into Electric Cables, Fences, Pylons and anything that has been erected.

golach
02-Jun-11, 16:39
Birds fly into airplane engines, and cause crashes, do we make a song and dance about the loss of bird life when that happens...No, why should we when a single bird gets killed.
Typical Anti Wind farm propaganda.

Mystical Potato Head
02-Jun-11, 17:17
I was browsing You Tube this morning and found this very sad clip of what can happen when birds meet turbines.
It is good food for thought for those in favour of these objects, if watching an animal die upsets you then please do not watch it.

I found it upsetting but this fact of life and death for our wildlife needs to be shown.

Novice.

What about "when birds meet windows".they are the biggest bird killer by far,followed by feral cats,high tension wires,then pesticides,next on the list is cars,followed by communication towers.Next we have hunting(still no sign of wind turbines on the list yet)oil spills are next.

So if your so worried about or find it upsetting watching an bird die then i'm sure you'll be covering your windows,go on a feral cat killing spree,mount a campaign to get rid of high tension wires,stop using your car,stop using your mobile and dont use anything that needs or uses oil or is this,as golach suggested,just some pathetic anti wind farm propoganda.
BTW i hate the bloody things spreading all over the countryside but if this is your way of putting people on a guilt trip then you must have battered your head of a wind turbine as well.

Jeid
02-Jun-11, 17:51
A bird me the front of my van the other week.

Om nom nom!

Rheghead
02-Jun-11, 18:21

Novice.

I believe this clip is actually a fake. If you notice @0:09 the bird ridiculously veers off to the left and then the bird falls behind the tower of the turbine but magically lands on ground in front of the turbine is just bad editing which gives it away. You can make out the sound of the impact and the fall which would be hard to hear above the background noise.

grumpyhippo
02-Jun-11, 19:08
If birds (especially raptors) have such good vision why are they so at risk from wind turbines?

http://www.radicalraptors.com/answers/a_eyesight.htm

Dog-eared
02-Jun-11, 19:51
Because they're looking ahead or down and not at the blade coming in from the side ?

orkneycadian
02-Jun-11, 22:50
I believe this clip is actually a fake.

This clip has long been claimed to be a fake - However, in the absence of any documentary evidence to prove or disprove such a claim, there are 2 sides.....

1. The clip is a fake - nuff said.
2. The clip is not a fake, and as claimed by some websites, the bird was taken to the Hellenic Wildlife hospital where it was treated for a broken wing and a limp - Hardly the "if watching an animal die" as claimed by the original poster

By the way, I saw 3 dead rabbits on the road tonight, in no more than 5 miles - I trust with that shocking death toll, cars have now been banned, and I will need to walk to work in the morning?

oldmarine
03-Jun-11, 01:34
If this is an attempt to shut down windmill power, I believe you have failed. A lot of comments here on the various ways birds are killed. I have observed birds being killed by moving autos in addition to all the other comments. Is this person trying to shut down wind power? If so I believe it is a feeble attempt.

Novice
03-Jun-11, 11:35
Wind turbines are here to stay there is no way of stopping them (the clip was about the new potential danger to birds of prey). Two of the main reasons why windfarms are here to stay is that there is a lot of money to be made by a few people (with no regard to others and the consequencies that may follow) and then there is the political posturing being done to appear to be the champion of green energy.

Bazeye
03-Jun-11, 21:18
My cats occasionally kill birds among other things. No petition against them so far.

Koi
03-Jun-11, 22:26
My cats occasionally kill birds among other things. No petition against them so far.

Thankfully my cat doesn't bother the birds just the butterflies! This bothers me more than the birds. So far to my knowledge its just been the one. I caught him with one when it was too late so just let him finish the job and make it quick for the butterfly. One of my mum's cats bags a bird a day. I spotted her with one a while back and the poor thing was half dead already so just left her to finish the job.

I do think that no matter how cruel we think animals are to each other we humans are ten times worse and humans who do kill and hurt other humans do it because they enjoy it. This makes us always be worse than anything we see animals doing to each other.

Moira
03-Jun-11, 22:54
Wind turbines are here to stay there is no way of stopping them (the clip was about the new potential danger to birds of prey). Two of the main reasons why windfarms are here to stay is that there is a lot of money to be made by a few people (with no regard to others and the consequencies that may follow) and then there is the political posturing being done to appear to be the champion of green energy.

I think you've been rumbled. :)

You've not shown me anything new by posting that clip.

spurtle
04-Jun-11, 08:53
Yhey actually get sucked into thedown draught.

Novice
04-Jun-11, 10:35
Your right Moira, nothing really new except just another example of how the human race can destroy anything it turns it's hand to.
As far as rumbling goes, is it wrong to be concerned about the welfare of wildlife and impact on environments ?.

_Ju_
04-Jun-11, 14:25
When driving from Glasgow to Inverness at the end of April and in the small hours of the morning, just at the turn of to Kingussie I noticed an owl that had been recently hit ( ie: he still was the shape of a bird and not a pancake that had been repeatedly passed over. I actually stopped because it looked so recent that it might still be alive or needing put out of it's suffering. It was dead. But because I saw another freshly killed owl soon after, I kept count. Only on my side of the road and only those that looked as if they had died very recently and only those that landed in the road so as to be visible in my beams: 9 dead owls that I believe to have died on the night I saw them on what is probably not 50 miles of road. Wild life is affected by everything we do. But when comparing Wind turbines affect on wild life and other things we do, I am absolutely sure that wind turbines are not as evil as, lets say, littering.

Mystical Potato Head
04-Jun-11, 14:50
Your right Moira, nothing really new except just another example of how the human race can destroy anything it turns it's hand to.
As far as rumbling goes, is it wrong to be concerned about the welfare of wildlife and impact on environments ?.

Nothing wrong with being concerned but why target wind turbines when the number of birds killed by other"means" is much greater.As far as i'm concerned you're just using it as an anti wind turbine campaign.
If you were so concerned about the welfare of wildlife you would be targeting the things which kill birds in vastly greater numbers.

Moira
04-Jun-11, 21:37

No you're not wrong to be concerned.

Did it ever occur to you to do a "Search" on previous threads on this forum before posting yours?

I'm not cynical, just realistic. I've seen it all before over the years - that's all.

Novice
04-Jun-11, 22:59
MPH, If I were on a campaign then yes I would use it and anything else at hand to conduct one but I am not.

Novice
06-Jun-11, 09:54
Both interesting and dissappointing replies, not one reply mentioned "maybe there could be some research done on how to avoid this problem" and make the turbine opertaors fund it. We are only at the beginning of the windpower era with much more to come, what may seem an insignificant event now will grow as time goes by.

"You reap what you sow".