PDA

View Full Version : Business Start Up

lisagrace
30-May-11, 16:05
Hi, now that CASE no longer exists does any one know or have experience of where to look for possible funding to start up a very small home based business? Any suggestions would be very appreciated

Bobinovich
30-May-11, 16:59
It's probably a lot less hassle just to go it alone or get a family or bank loan to start you off if you can. The main reason is that many of these funders insist on you filling out a seemingly endless supply of forms, and often you have to report back progress and often have your books audited professionally (at not insignificant cost) to ensure their funding is being properly managed. Some will also not fund if you are starting up in opposition to someone else already offering the same service(s) or goods.

I can also recommend working part time in conjunction with a paying job until your business gets known if possible - that way you will discover if your business is likely to succeed without completely jumping in feet first and relying on it doing so.

I hope that helps.

lisagrace
30-May-11, 23:09
Thanks Bob, I was thinking that myself but the more i look into it the more expensive it is getting! lol

donss
31-May-11, 08:04
Just spoke to various people about a start-up fund / loan / grant this month, as I've been unemployed for the last 3mths (1st time in my life, and not good): looks like you're on your own at the moment.. no monies available as far as I have found these last few weeks... No assistance other than some free advice and possibly some free business seminars.

Try contacting Jennifer Irvine at Business Gateway in Wick: Tel. 01955 605360 or 07921 758450, or log onto http://www.bgateway.com or http://www.highland-opportunity.com lots of info on there (but no current funding).

Best of luck. If you find some start-up funding, let me know?

Cheers

Crackeday
05-Jun-11, 18:26
Dont know if they still do it but what about the Prince's trust if your young enough?
I tried them years ago when I was younger but got a stern NO!!!!
CASE were useless as well im afraid, they wouldnt fund my Mobile Idea (Even though i invested in equipment) as I wouldnt qoute:"Bring business to the area" BUT someone moved into Caithness from south and started a "mobile" type business with CASE funding no problems!!!!!!!!!!!!
Its really hard to get funding up here, you would think with the decline of Fishing, Dounreay etc that there would be funding.
Good luck.
Hope you get something from it.