PDA

View Full Version : rocky road

sjr014
15-Sep-06, 23:41
Hi does any one have a recipe for rocky road? Not sure if that is what it is called? It is a kinda tray bake we bits o mars and marshmallows.

golach
16-Sep-06, 01:21
Hi does any one have a recipe for rocky road? Not sure if that is what it is called? It is a kinda tray bake we bits o mars and marshmallows.

Google rocky road+recipes.......dozens turn up

recipe_hunter
11-Nov-06, 18:32
There are many recipe variations for Rocky Road but this is a nut free version I make for my kids.

Rocky Road Fridge Cake

150g good quality plain cooking chocolate
100g butter
150g digestive biscuits
90g marshmallow (you can use either mini marshmallows, or to save money cut normal marshmallows into quarters with a pair of kitchen scissors)
60g dried apricots (the plump, ready to eat kind, not the bone dry kind – soak these first) cut into small pieces the size of large raisins with your kitchen scissors.For the topping

30ml milk
140g icing sugar
60g cocoa powder
25g butter
Directions

Lightly grease a 7” cake tin (square or rectangular is best but you could use a round one if that’s all you have). Personally, I never have much success with greasing tins – I can still never get the cake out at the end, so I line the tin with grease-proof paper, cut to size.
Break the chocolate into pieces. Over a low heat, melt in a small pan with the butter. Stir melted ingredients together and take off the heat.
Crush the digestives in a large bowl with the end of a rolling pin. Don’t crush totally into dust; make sure you leave mostly 1-2cm sized chunks to give the “rocky road” effect when the cake is complete.
Add your chopped marshmallows and apricots to the crushed biscuits.
Pour the melted chocolate into the biscuit mixture and stir well to ensure everything gets a good coating.
Transfer into your prepared cake tin and then, using the back of a large spoon, press down the mixture, making it as even as possible.
Put in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours, but ideally overnight.
When set, remove from fridge and turn out of the tin (you may need to run a knife around the edge first.)
Prepare the topping by gently melting the butter and milk in a pan. Remove from heat and add the icing sugar and cocoa powder – beat together vigorously, or use a food processor.
Smooth the icing over the cake and leave for about 30 minutes before cutting into the desired sized portions with a sharp knife…..……now you will see the lovely rocky road effect of the pink and white marshmallows set against the mortar of chocolate, interspersed with biscuity “rocks” and the orange specs of apricots! It's not just for kids!

Store in fridge.
Serves approx 8-10