PDA

View Full Version : Egyptian Teacher Beats Children With A Ruler

Gizmo
27-May-11, 13:57
I'm not surprised by this, but I'm still shocked after seeing it, I'd like 5 minutes alone in a room with this scum, I truly hope he gets harshly dealt with over this.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Video---Egypt-Teacher-Beats-Children-And-Blames-Revolution-After-Being-Arrested-By-Police/Article/201105416000577?lpos=World_News_Carousel_Region_4&lid=ARTICLE_16000577_Video_-_Egypt%3A_Teacher_Beats_Children_And_Blames_Revolu tion_After_Being_Arrested_By_Police

This is from Sky News, but I should warn that it contains footage of children being beaten by their teacher.

Doreen
27-May-11, 14:09
My goodness that is shocking that poor kids what a bully the poor kids looked petrified it made me feel sick.

Gizmo
27-May-11, 14:12
My goodness that is shocking that poor kids what a bully the poor kids looked petrified it made me feel sick.

What makes it even worse is that someone in the background, possibly the person who is filming it, can be heard laughing, it just makes my blood boil.

Corrie 3
27-May-11, 14:15
Reminds me of my school days!!!!!

C3.......:(:(

pat
27-May-11, 14:59
Agree with you Corrie 3 - definitely reminds me of school days.

golach
27-May-11, 15:10
I had worse than that when I was at school, and am none the worse for it, I am sure there are many more of my age who think the same. I cannot understand the bleeding hearts on here.

Gizmo
27-May-11, 15:35
I had worse than that when I was at school, and am none the worse for it, I am sure there are many more of my age who think the same. I cannot understand the bleeding hearts on here.

So the fact that you had similar treatment as a child somehow makes this story less shocking?, just because it happened to you doesn't make it ok. I'm just about to turn 40, so I had my fair share of corporal punishment in my school days, and like you, I'm none the worse for it either. But the corporal punishment delt out by most* of my teachers was never as vicious as the punishment in that video, or ever delt out to children of such a young age.

*There was one teacher, lets call her Greasy Garry, she was a thoroughly nasty piece work and used to throw children around like rag dolls. She should never have been allowed to teach.

Doreen
27-May-11, 16:26
Well said it was so cruel the way he treated that poor kids im in my late 40s and got the ruler a few times it did not do me any damage but that vidio showed the teacher hitting them on there backs disgusting .

John Little
27-May-11, 16:29
So the fact that you had similar treatment as a child somehow makes this story less shocking?, just because it happened to you doesn't make it ok. I'm just about to turn 40, so I had my fair share of corporal punishment in my school days, and like you, I'm none the worse for it either. But the corporal punishment delt out by most* of my teachers was never as vicious as the punishment in that video, or ever delt out to children of such a young age.

*There was one teacher, lets call her Greasy Garry, she was a thoroughly nasty piece work and used to throw children around like rag dolls. She should never have been allowed to teach.

Miller Academy circa 1960 was a lot lot worse than that. And not inflicted with a ruler but a tawse - aye and to kids just as young as that.

Yes - by our standards it's shocking.

It is, however, another culture where beating children is normal. That does not make it right, but the fact that they are doing what we stopped doing 30 years ago does make me feel uneasy about passing judgment on them. It's an assertion of our cultural superiority and I do not think that we particularly are.

Maybe we have learned better but I went home with too many welts on my arms to vaunt the superiority of our ways.

Throughout Africa it is widely held that if you do not beat your children then you are a bad parent.

We think the opposite.

Now.

But not so long ago we were like them.

So it's all very well to suck our teeth about it - but how do you change it?

Gizmo
27-May-11, 16:46
It is, however, another culture where beating children is normal.

Well, seeing as the teacher in question has been arrested over this incident, that says to me that it is not! normal or acceptable practice.

John Little
27-May-11, 16:58
http://nadiaelawady.wordpress.com/2010/04/12/corporal-punishment-in-egypts-schools-a-personal-testimony/

http://www.endcorporalpunishment.org/pages/pdfs/reports/All_Africa_Report-2010.pdf

Gizmo
27-May-11, 17:28
But not so long ago we were like them.

Not so long ago we used to burn people at the stake, behead and hang people in public, and torture people to death. A few of these punishments are still carried out in various countries around the world, so are you saying that we shouldn't be shocked and outraged, or pass judgement on these acts and the people that carry them out because not so long ago we were also like them?.

John Little
27-May-11, 17:32
Well I believe that it's called cultural imperialism and it implies a superiority over other people that I do not exactly feel comfortable with. Something to do with not judging lest I be judged. My primary school was big on that sort of thing.

Maybe I might feel inclined to do so if I thought we had much to teach in our crime free, rape free, murder free equal society.

But since I don't, I don't.

Or let me add- I am not going to manufacture an indignation for something happening in Egypt that I would certainly feel if it happened in Britain. There is a lot of trouble caused in the world because one bunch of people think they have a monopoly of truth and the moral high ground.

To explode in fits of shock at the goings on in a school in an Arab country, whose culture is far removed from ours, where Sharia is accepted by many as their guage for life, and where aspects of our culture are regarded askance, actually achieves nothing.
The Egyptian government has banned corporal punishment.

By law.

It is the actuality on the ground that has not changed and that requires a major shift in cultural and religious attitudes,

But my shock and outrage - or interference will not make an iota of difference.

But it will change.

I mind a wee girl who went to the Miller one day in a pink dress who came home in a pink and red dress. Such things could not happen now.

But it did not change because an Egyptian evinced outrage.
It changed because attituides changed.

You do not do that through excoriation or telling people in other countries how to deal with their children.

Righteous indignation only breeds indignation in return.

Gizmo
27-May-11, 17:48
Well, I believe that the human brain has evolved a great deal more in most cultures around the world, are you just one of these people that is afraid to admit that for fear of seeming prejudiced?

Mystical Potato Head
27-May-11, 18:17
Well, I believe that the human brain has evolved a great deal more in most cultures around the world, are you just one of these people that is afraid to admit that for fear of seeming prejudiced?

If he did admit it,wouldn't that prove he WASNT prejudiced ?

ducati
27-May-11, 18:18

I'm with John on this, I'm sure you don't mean the brain has evolved past beating children, I mind many other threads where it is bemoned that children are no longer beaten.:confused

John Little
27-May-11, 19:13

Is this about me, cultural relativism, or judging other peoples by the standards of your own society?

Rheghead
27-May-11, 19:59
Not so long ago we used to burn people at the stake, behead and hang people in public, and torture people to death. A few of these punishments are still carried out in various countries around the world, so are you saying that we shouldn't be shocked and outraged, or pass judgement on these acts and the people that carry them out because not so long ago we were also like them?.

I agree with your example here. Last night on Hardtalk with Zainab Bedawi, there was a former ambassador to Saudi Arabia being interviewed about cultural differences like that and he was defending the sadists that carry out those atrocities on the basis that they are 'deeply religious' and 'deeply conservative', I say he has been there too long and desensitized himself to the horror.

bekisman
27-May-11, 20:11

Goodness me, what an outburst, bit surprised by your signature "If it ain't broke....hit it harder" as it's quite a violent statement.. as per your above - I thought Iran still did these things, Saudi Arabia beheads?
'Not so long ago'? eh - you are harking back to happenings hundreds of years ago, how on earth can you extrapolate that to what is happening (or was) in Egypt? I like the other Orgers accept what John is saying..

Our 'civilised' country still considers that an EIGHT year old can be held criminally responsible! it's one of the lowest ages of criminal responsibility in the developed world! It is 10 in England, 12 in the Netherlands and Canada, 13 in France, 14 in Russia, Japan, Germany and Italy, 15 in Finland, Denmark, Norway and Sweden, 16 in Spain and Portugal and 18 in Belgium, Brazil and Peru.

What an uncivilised barbaric country we live in, but then maybe the human brain has not developed enough?

Koi
27-May-11, 21:39
The video footage is truly awful. You can all say that we got beaten at school did us no harm but can you hoenstly say that when watching the video you felt that? What happened to the little lass in pink is much more than a whack on the hand with a ruler that some of the other children got, she got a full feldge beating, complete with several hair tugs and hit across the back. The guy was enjoying beating her and making her scream. You can say that it does her no harm but that teacher was beating her because he was enjoying it and that is wrong.
I for one found it hard to watch the footage. Violence only teaches people adults and children alike how to be scared. Being beaten is not going to make those children learn and get their homework right.
I for one am very glad that times have changed for the better and that children are actually given the time to help them learn. It has gone ott as teachers can not discipline children but going back to the way it was is not an option and its is the wrong and cruel option as it only teaches fear.
There are always far better ways of handling a situation than using violence.

Kevin Milkins
28-May-11, 08:24
I wached the video with Mrs M and we both felt very uneasy with it, that tells us our natural instincts are saying it's wrong.

NickInTheNorth
28-May-11, 08:59
lot of fuss about nothing