PDA

View Full Version : Gamekeeper kept enough poison to kill every bird of prey in Scotland six times over

Anfield
27-May-11, 11:32
Dean Barr, the gamekeeper of Skibo Estate (http://www.scotsman.com/news/Gamekeeper-kept-enough-poison-to.6775095.jp) was found guilty of the illegal possession of 10kg Carbofuran, a pesticide which was banned in the UK 10 years ago.
His fine? A paltry £3000 and no gaol sentence. No doubt he has already been reimbursed by his employers

This is not the first time that this rather unpleasant individual has been involved in the poisoning of birds.
In 2009, whilst employed as a Gamekeeper at the Raeshaw Estate (http://raptorpersecutionscotland.wordpress.com/tag/raeshaw-estate/) Carbofuran was discovered during a police raid following the discovery of a poisoned red kite. Also recovered from Raeshaw were several dogs which the SSPCA suspected had been used for badger baiting.
Following his arrest at Skibo he said:

"..I would say it is our friends at the RSPB. "There has been a few incidents before where stuff has turned up. They are doing it for publicity. The more publicity they get, the more money they get."
"I don't want to say too much because there is an investigation going on. At Raeshaw, they came and raided my house the same as they done here. But there was no convictions.
"I have not been charged with the incident but they locked me up for six hours. They took me to the police station in Dornoch but everything was fine.
"According to what I heard, there was nothing found at Skibo at all."

When will Sheriffs start imposing maximum sentences on low life like this guy?

ducati
27-May-11, 13:07
Rather puts to bed the assertion that someone like this would not be able to work as a gamekeeper again!

Leanne
27-May-11, 18:40
Furadan isn't banned...

Kenn
27-May-11, 23:50
Just hope they manage to get the new laws in place that makes the estate owner culpable too but I have my doubts

oldmarine
28-May-11, 01:07
Dean Barr, the gamekeeper of Skibo Estate (http://www.scotsman.com/news/Gamekeeper-kept-enough-poison-to.6775095.jp) was found guilty of the illegal possession of 10kg Carbofuran, a pesticide which was banned in the UK 10 years ago.
His fine? A paltry £3000 and no gaol sentence. No doubt he has already been reimbursed by his employers

This is not the first time that this rather unpleasant individual has been involved in the poisoning of birds.
In 2009, whilst employed as a Gamekeeper at the Raeshaw Estate (http://raptorpersecutionscotland.wordpress.com/tag/raeshaw-estate/) Carbofuran was discovered during a police raid following the discovery of a poisoned red kite. Also recovered from Raeshaw were several dogs which the SSPCA suspected had been used for badger baiting.
Following his arrest at Skibo he said:

"..I would say it is our friends at the RSPB. "There has been a few incidents before where stuff has turned up. They are doing it for publicity. The more publicity they get, the more money they get."
"I don't want to say too much because there is an investigation going on. At Raeshaw, they came and raided my house the same as they done here. But there was no convictions.
"I have not been charged with the incident but they locked me up for six hours. They took me to the police station in Dornoch but everything was fine.
"According to what I heard, there was nothing found at Skibo at all."

When will Sheriffs start imposing maximum sentences on low life like this guy?

Looks like overkill to me...

annmarie
28-May-11, 01:13
there a lot of ways of controling vermin ect it worked ok in the past two mutch black and white now

Leanne
28-May-11, 12:34
there a lot of ways of controling vermin ect it worked ok in the past two mutch black and white now

It's not politically correct (or legal in some cases) to use dogs now. This is what happens when the PC brigade get involved. As much as it leaves a sour taste in the mouth Russles/hounds and long dogs spare other wildlife. Poison is nodescrimatory :(

ducati
28-May-11, 16:15
I could point out that Birds of Prey are not vermin and prosecution will come to those that harm them.

If our crusty old legal types pull their fingers out.

Leanne
28-May-11, 16:26
I could point out that Birds of Prey are not vermin and prosecution will come to those that harm them.

If our crusty old legal types pull their fingers out.

Noone said they were vermin...

Anfield
28-May-11, 17:17
Furadan isn't banned...
I think you will find Leanne that Furadan (the marketing name of Carboforum) has been banned in the EU (http://stopwildlifepoisoning.wildlifedirect.org/2009/11/09/carbofuran-ban-is-good-for-everyone-in-usa-only/) for a number of years.

I do however welcome any links you may have which contradict my OP

It's not politically correct (or legal in some cases) to use dogs now. This is what happens when the PC brigade get involved. As much as it leaves a sour taste in the mouth Russles/hounds and long dogs spare other wildlife. Poison is nodescrimatory :(

In another thread you stated that you saw a fox killed at a drag hunt.
Can you tell me which pack of dogs used to kill birds of prey?

Leanne
28-May-11, 18:04
Can you tell me which pack of dogs used to kill birds of prey?

Why would you use anything to kill a bird of prey?

Anfield
28-May-11, 18:37
Why would you use anything to kill a bird of prey?

What were you referring to when you made following post, or were you just trying to take thread off topic

Leanne
28-May-11, 19:32
What were you referring to when you made following post, or were you just trying to take thread off topic

I was meaning that people use poison now to kill 'vermin' unfortunely the poison doesn't discrminate about who it kills - including BOP, badgers etc. I was adding more fuel to your fire not trying to negate what you are claiming. You seem to have this perception that I am out to kill all wildlife - I am an animal lover and nothing could be further from the truth - no matter how hard you claim otherwise. You've lost my support (again) with your warped comments at me. I try to back you up and you go off on some weird almost vendetta. Odd...

Good cause and you should accept support where it is offered.