View Full Version : Cases from today's sheriff court

26-May-11, 18:30
Nickname taunts led to knife assault

TAUNTING a man with his schooldays’ nickname in front of customers at a Caithness pub, cost Darryl Thomson a black eye.
He decided to get even with his assailant, David Dunbar.
Thomson left the St Clair Arms Hotel, in Castletown and returned with a knife, Wick Sheriff Court was told, yesterday. (Thursday)
He then followed Mr Dunbar, into the toilet and struck him with the small blade.
Thomson (24) of 4 Olrig Place, Castletown, pleaded guilty on indictment, to a charge of assault to injury.
Sheriff Andrew Berry was told that Dunbar, of 4 St Clair Court, Castletown, was watching a rugby match on television, with friends, in the bar. Thomson was also viewing it, in his own company.
Senior fiscal depute, David Barclay said that the accused began to call Mr Dunbar “an unpleasant nickname” from his schooldays.
Senior fiscal depute, David Barclay, continued: “It was repeated a few times and Mr Dunbar got the impression that the accused was trying to wind him up. This resulted in Mr Dunbar losing his temper and punching Thomson in his face.”
Bar staff intervened and separated the pair, who apologised to each other and shook hands. Thomson, however, left the hotel and re-appeared with a pen-knife.
Mr Barclay said that Mr Dunbar, decided to leave the hotel and paid a visit to the toilet, on his way out.
The senior fiscal depute continued: “Once there, the accused took hold of him and said something along the lines of ‘You won’t mess with me again’.”
Mr Dunbar became aware he had been cut on top of his upper lip and went back into the bar to seek assistance. He subsequently had three stitches inserted in the inch-long wound, at Caithness General Hospital and was discharged.
Thomson was arrested and while being processed at the police station remarked: “The boy battered me..I just went stupid”.
Mr Barclay said that the accused maintained he had pressed the blade against Mr Dunbar’s face, merely intending to frighten him, and had been unaware he had cut him.”
Mr Barclay added, however that it was not the injury, but the use of a knife which had resulted in the charge being raised to indictment level.
The case was continued for reports, until June 20, when the accused’s solicitor will speak on his behalf.

Take chance or face an early grave

A WICK man was given a chance by a sheriff to break his cycle of drinking... or end up in an early grave.
Alexander Johnson appeared from custody at Wick Sheriff Court, today and admitted charges of disorderly behaviour and a number of previous convictions.
He was said to have abused a family who refused to give him a lift from his home in Wellington Street, Wick, on Tuesday, and shouted and swore, at the local police station after being arrested.
Sheriff Andrew Berry continued the case for a month after hearing that accommodation and a rehabilitation programme was available to the 49-year-old in Ross-shire.
The sheriff, who heard that Johnston had finished a prison sentence just over a fortnight ago, stressed that the accused’s priority was to stay out of trouble. He added that he feared it might be too late for Johnston to turn his life round but was prepared to give him a chance to do so.