PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Therapies

Saveman
15-Sep-06, 14:05
With reports like this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5345774.stm alternative therapies seem to be becoming very popular.

What's your take on them?
Do they work?
Do you use them?
Is it all just a waste of money?
Should the Health Service be using more alternative therapies?

Liz
15-Sep-06, 17:42
I use 'alternative' therapies as much as possible for both myself and my pets and they do work.

Definitely more should be available on the NHS.

Naefearjustbeer
15-Sep-06, 23:23
I believe that if you believe they will work then you have a high chance of them working. However if you are a sceptic then you dont have much chance of them working. I think that many of the methods used trigger something in your mind/body to mend itself natures way. However if you are determined that it is all hocus pocus then thats what it will be for you.

crayola
15-Sep-06, 23:52
I had difficulty getting pregnant the first time. I tried holistic fertility therapy and was pregnant within three months. The same thing happened the second time. So I'm a believer.

golach
16-Sep-06, 00:22
I had difficulty getting pregnant the first time. I tried holistic fertility therapy and was pregnant within three months. The same thing happened the second time. So I'm a believer.
Too much info crayola :eek:

Dreadnought
16-Sep-06, 00:25
For thousands of years man lived off the land, for his food, clothing and medicines. Only in the last two centuries have we (in the 'developed' world) lost that link. There are many places in the world where people still use natural remedies as a first choice.

crayola
16-Sep-06, 00:27
Not too much info. Open your mind golach. You'll be surprised at what you find out there. Closed minds are like closed doors. They keep the cat in but they keep enlightenment at arm's length.

mostlyharmless
16-Sep-06, 16:24
Yes I definitely think alternative medicine, therapies may work so may be through some sort of Placebo effect [which I won't go into in detail now]
others really work. I 've heard that herbs for example will be the medicine of the 21st century and are being scientificaly proven to work.
I believe germany uses them extensively.
why we should always have to rely on science to verify things that have worked for generations is perhaps part of the problem in there use today.
We don't know how they work so we won't use them! Recent study as shown that the chemical compounds within a herb sometimes make it easier for the body to absorb and use the chemicals to treat a problem.

Somethings I struggle with believing that all alternatives work and I don't always think thats my problem I think they just don't work....

Acupuncture works but not always perhaps sometimes its just not the right treatment

rockchick
16-Sep-06, 18:30

Figured out what causes them, did you? :D