PDA

View Full Version : Sports Activities !

mostlyharmless
15-Sep-06, 13:27
I notice theres been a real push towards getting children in particular involved in activities to help keep them fit .[Ironically tv programmes]

How involved are schools in putting this near the top of the agenda[curriculum] or does it rely mostly on after school clubs? and if so why?

What is out there for kids I notice a few lists of names and sporting clubs on the org.[even cricket]

What are the favourite sports [apart from football of course] for kids now in Caithness? and are they available?

What opportunity is the org giving to sporting clubs to help them build there numbers and promote there sport?

Why are highland games diminishing when we need them most and what support is there available now for those who want to be involved in the GB Olympics?

What alot of questions..........

_Ju_
15-Sep-06, 14:25
In Caithness children are only allowed to participate in group sport activities after the age of 5[mad] ..... try as I might, there are no activities for under 5's. That is far too late to teach children the importance and joy of sport. So, if you ask what I think: the policy on paper is exellent, pity about (not) putting it into practice.

footie chick
15-Sep-06, 15:05
Also try taking three children under 8 swimming[mad]

Ojibwa
15-Sep-06, 15:42
In Caithness children are only allowed to participate in group sport activities after the age of 5[mad] ..... try as I might, there are no activities for under 5's. That is far too late to teach children the importance and joy of sport. So, if you ask what I think: the policy on paper is exellent, pity about (not) putting it into practice.

I totally agree with you Ju, there neesds to be more sporting/physical activities for kids under 5 in Caithness. In other places many activities are available for kids from about 6 months.

I disagree that it is far too late at the age of 5 to teach and share the importance and joy of sport. It is first and foremost the parent's responsibility to encourage and participate with the child in a healthy, active, lifestyle.
As a parent you are the main role model and if you do not promote sport as an enjoyable activity then they may not be as enthusiastic when it comes to joining organised sporting groups.

rainbow
15-Sep-06, 17:57
I agree that children under 5 should be participating in sport from a younger age, however the majority of these children do not have the social skills to listen to instructions and carry them out - which is of major importance to remain safe. Also it is all very well saying we need more opportunities but most of the local sports club are run by volunteers, whose time is valuable, and some of them do not have the time available but make the effort in order to prevent the club folding - trust me I know this. If you ask for helpers, it is the same people who help time and time again. And to make things worse there are so many obstacles put in your way with regard to child protection policies, that helping a club is a deterent. I can understand the reason behind the CP rules but really it has gone too far. Why do children have to go to clubs to take part in sport - what is wrong with a family walk, a family cycle, a family swim ( I know the rules make it difficult), a run around the footie pitch etc etc.
On a final note alot of parent view some clubs as a cheap babysitting service - there I 've gone and opened my mouth again!!!

kc
15-Sep-06, 18:21
There is gym teds in thurso which is a toddler gym/gymnastics type club they have younger children with parents present.
Insurance for younger children is difficult which is why some places leave it till they are school age before they can start.

martin macdonald
15-Sep-06, 18:29
i agree with you. i have taught kids golf for thirty years and i would say that four to five is a great age to start. even more so now with all the new developments in equipment:D the old problem is getting folkes to help:(

mostlyharmless
16-Sep-06, 00:36
I agree everything should start with parents and they take the responsibility in all aspects of the childs upbringing and should try and enjoy it too.

I also agree it is the favoured few that run many of the so called voluntary clubs etc.

My main hope was to find out what was available in terms of choice and expertise . And if groups are struggling who are they and what do they do some of problems may be ignorance of its existence.

I

rainbow
16-Sep-06, 08:28
I don't think it is the 'favoured' few that the run the clubs - I think it is the 'MAD' few - I run 2 clubs and at times I think I need my head examined. It isn't just the attendance at the club - I have organisation before I turn up and also all the necessary paperwork, that is a requirement nowadays. I do not feel that I am 'favoured' in any way.
To answer another question - highland dancing and majorettes in wick take children under 5 - and before I get any comments dancing is a sport, adn very good exercise.

willa
16-Sep-06, 10:16
The school my child is at does not have regular gym classes (she is luck if they get it 10 times in the year). Also they get swimming once every three weeks. I had asked a friend (who is a teacher in another school) if this was legal as I believe that they are supposed to get 3/4 hour physical education every week. To my complete surprise the journey on a bus to the swimming pool counts towards the 3/4 hour. Why?!?!

mostlyharmless
16-Sep-06, 16:00
I was being some what ironic with my 'favoured few' comment but I take your point.

I worry about getting involved in the pta to much for just such a reason I want to have involvement in childrens progress and what is available to them instead it seems fund raisng events are top of the list,

How is a bus journey counted are they bobbing up and down so much it counts as exercise? Ridiculous.

Highland dancing having watched it is very athletic I think.. I'm looking for things for 5 year olds up to 10. Highland dancing would be good for my 7 yr old.

rockchick
16-Sep-06, 18:23
Not much up here for under-fives I think. Back home we had Kinder-gym classes, which was a kind of mother-and-tot playgroup, and Water-babies, which was swimming classes again for mother-and-tot until they're old enough to go in the water without a parent. My daughter has been swimming since she was 3 months old.

When we moved up here, I was pleased that we had a local pool. The very first week I went down to the pool to get my daughter on the list for toddlers swimming lessons (she was 3 at the time) and was told there weren't lessons for kids at all, as they got them in school, which wouldn't be for a couple of years yet. How useless is that? I still went swimming with her, but it's not the same as a structured group, as you get a social aspect with it as well as fitness.

I seem to recall posters for a playgroup a couple of years ago, but as that was well after I needed the service, I don't know what has happened with it, if anything.

Niall Fernie
16-Sep-06, 18:36
What opportunity is the org giving to sporting clubs to help them build there numbers and promote there sport?
Sport.Caithness.Org (http://sport.caithness.org) which I'm working on at the moment has been around for ages and I'm just giving it a little codelift (read that as major internal surgery)

We're always interested in any articles about events in the sporting arena of our county, it is however like pulling teeth when it comes to getting information from local clubs. You can spot the ones keen on self promotion in the news articles.

If someone you know is involved in sport, get them to at least make sure that we have up-to-date information in our index and possibly send us some info on what they are up to from time to time. Or indeed do it yourself, we've had submissions from proud parents on more than one occasion.