PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest Guitarist on the Planet - (it's a bit of fun)

Saveman
15-Sep-06, 13:19
Who is the best?
Who can play the fastest?
Who is the most melodic?
Who dazzles you with innovation and creativity?
Whos the daddy??

(I know its silly, its only a bit of fun!:lol:)

moncur
15-Sep-06, 13:22
One name springs to mind

BONES!

End of conversation, no argument.

Saveman
15-Sep-06, 13:24
One name springs to mind

BONES!

End of conversation, no argument.

Of Star Trek fame? Didn't know he played........;)

Chobbersjnr
15-Sep-06, 14:10

LMAO

Tristan Seume takes my vote

no question

Kev_Plastic_Food
15-Sep-06, 14:17

Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor not a guitarist!

Gleber2
15-Sep-06, 15:28
Tall Farlow my favourite but Les Paul leaves everyone else standing. Farlow died a few years ago but I think Les is still playing.

zebedy
15-Sep-06, 15:58
with chobbers on it... tristen is awesome!

j4bberw0ck
15-Sep-06, 16:18
Did anyone else get into arguments at school about whether Alvin Lee (Ten Years After) or Eric Clapton (Yardbirds / Cream) was The Greatest?

Seems childish now, but important at the time....... :lol:

Son House and Robert Johnson's guitar work is awesome. Impeccable timing..... Jimmy Page / Zeppelin I still listen to regularly...... Stevie Ray Vaughan's version of "Little Wing" knocks Hendrix's into a cocked hat. And I suspect that Roy Buchanan was probably a lot faster than Alvin Lee... so it all depends! Mood's the thing.

Chobbersjnr
15-Sep-06, 16:41
Did anyone else get into arguments at school about whether Alvin Lee (Ten Years After) or Eric Clapton (Yardbirds / Cream) was The Greatest?

Seems childish now, but important at the time....... :lol:

Son House and Robert Johnson's guitar work is awesome. Impeccable timing..... Jimmy Page / Zeppelin I still listen to regularly...... Stevie Ray Vaughan's version of "Little Wing" knocks Hendrix's into a cocked hat. And I suspect that Roy Buchanan was probably a lot faster than Alvin Lee... so it all depends! Mood's the thing.

IMHO (thanks Jwock)

Roy B slays both Alvin Lee & Clapton, but that's not hard:lol:

however the guitarists being "on the planet" means that Roy sadly doesn't count, gawd rest his ciggared soul

& of the 2 that are still going one wonders if they were ever alive, nah I do like some of Page's work with Zeppelin but Alvin Lee makes me hooch with laughter

nobody's mentioned Hank Marvin yet

j4bberw0ck
15-Sep-06, 17:33
Chobbers, you sound like someone with a lot more knowledge of guitars and music than I have! Can't play any musical instrument (well, honourable mention for a kazoo, maybe), and I confess I missed the bit about them being alive....... yes, poor old Roy Buchanan. His version of "Hey Joe" is the canine's gonads :lol:

Dreadnought
15-Sep-06, 21:53
No contest, has to be David Gilmour.

erli
15-Sep-06, 21:55
Well, I'm not naming someone else. I voted Gary Moore, I grew up with him and still think he is awesome. He was probably the biggest influence of my teenage years and not a week goes by when I don't listen to 'The Wild Frontier' album.

Saveman
15-Sep-06, 22:04
Well, I'm not naming someone else. I voted Gary Moore, I grew up with him and still think he is awesome. He was probably the biggest influence of my teenage years and not a week goes by when I don't listen to 'The Wild Frontier' album.

"I remember my city streets before the soldiers came.....now armored cars and barricades remind us of our shame....."

Phoebus_Apollo
15-Sep-06, 22:15
Who is the best?

Its between

Allan holdsworth/Vai/Satriani/Blackmore/Page/Hendrix

Who can play the fastest?

Michael Angelo - fast but dull.

Who is the most melodic?

Steve Morse and his eclectic chops.

Who dazzles you with innovation and creativity?

Guthrie Govan - buy Erotic Cakes now!!

Whos the daddy??

Django Reinhart - two fingers didn`t stop his diminished arpeggios!!

Jeid
16-Sep-06, 00:04
It's all down to personal preference at the end of the day.

I really think Stevie Ray Vaughan is great, I like John Petrucci, Brian May, Jimmy Page, James Hetfield/Kirk Hammet. I don't think I could choose one of them though. I like them all!

Cedric Farthsbottom III
16-Sep-06, 01:34
The Edge fae U2,closely followed by Davie Gilmour.

The Pepsi Challenge
16-Sep-06, 01:54
John Hausrath - the Springpark Satriani. You'd sandpaper your own eyeballs to be as fine as Hoose. Legend.

Jeid
16-Sep-06, 02:48
John Hausrath? Big John? Chef? Surely there can't be many John Hausrath's around?

The Pepsi Challenge
16-Sep-06, 05:52
Yer thinkin' o' Hausrath senior, there, Jeid. Hausrath junior could shred more notes than Mr Wong in one afternoon at the Bookies. Word.

Jeid
16-Sep-06, 09:32
Learn something new everyday!

zebedy
16-Sep-06, 12:14
RIP

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/Zebedy00/Jack/wpe1.jpg

Sporran
18-Sep-06, 01:35
David Gilmour gets my vote, but there are so many outstanding guitarists these days, that it's hard to pick only one great. I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Carlos Santana yet. Then there's Lustrehand and Lustrehand junior, of course....

zappster
18-Sep-06, 11:55
Paul Gilbert...My God

tam
19-Sep-06, 15:25
the late great - rory gallagher --- a lost talent
gets my vote

The Pepsi Challenge
19-Sep-06, 15:39
I guess it has to be Martin Taylor.

Gleber2
19-Sep-06, 16:32
I guess it has to be Martin Taylor.

With Les Paul still alive?

The Pepsi Challenge
19-Sep-06, 17:05
You have a point. That would be some face-off.

Gleber2
19-Sep-06, 17:25
You have a point. That would be some face-off.

No doubt in my mind of the outcome. Les is God.

roblovesplastic
19-Sep-06, 19:53
has to be jimmy when i think back to the 1st time I seen him burn that guitar at woodstock, yeah fire.

visionary, oh and he could play hmmm mmm.

Sporran
20-Sep-06, 06:22
Hmm, there's been no mention of any female guitarists yet. One of my fave female rock bands is Heart - sisters Ann and Nancy Wilson. I think Nancy's a nifty guitar player, so I'm voting for her! :cool:

Saxo01
22-Sep-06, 01:15
has to be jimmy when i think back to the 1st time I seen him burn that guitar at woodstock, yeah fire.

Aye when the likes of SRV idolise & play tunes in memory of Jimi & now satriani etc are playing hendrix tunes in memory of SRV says it all, Im a stevie ray all the way but hear satriani & co, hendrix & vaughan tribute its the most amazing piece of guitar music i've ever heard the hairs on the back of neck always stand up

Chobbersjnr
22-Sep-06, 01:35
Hmm, there's been no mention of any female guitarists yet. One of my fave female rock bands is Heart - sisters Ann and Nancy Wilson. I think Nancy's a nifty guitar player, so I'm voting for her! :cool:

OK here we go at the mo I have ultimate respect for Katie Moffatt, Koreen Bailey Rae & KT Tunstall

Jennifer Batton is one mean shredder as well

Chobbersjnr
22-Sep-06, 01:38

AHEM get your facts straight

he burnt his guitar at monterey pop in 1967

woodstock

PAH back to your turntables dolt

j4bberw0ck
22-Sep-06, 08:55
Just got a marketing email from Amazon..... new Rory Gallagher album, Stage Struck, now available.

Used to go see Rory in Manchester and Birmingham years ago. Superb live performer; best gig of the lot was one time at Manchester Apollo when all the stage power went off - he got right to the front of the stage and went acoustic while they fixed the problem. A lesser man would have gone off stage until the power was back - he just enjoyed playing. The roar of approval he got when the power was fixed was incredible even though I'd guess half the people in there couldn't have heard a thing of the acoustic set.

Another R.I.P., sadly....... now, where's me check shirt? :lol:

PinkFloyd
22-Sep-06, 11:10
Joe Satriani, Carlos Santana, Doyle Bramhall to name but a few http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/musik/music-smiley-006.gif

squidge
22-Sep-06, 15:49

Im with you Erli Gary moore always does it for me

Chobbersjnr
22-Sep-06, 16:23
Just got a marketing email from Amazon..... new Rory Gallagher album, Stage Struck, now available.

Used to go see Rory in Manchester and Birmingham years ago. Superb live performer; best gig of the lot was one time at Manchester Apollo when all the stage power went off - he got right to the front of the stage and went acoustic while they fixed the problem. A lesser man would have gone off stage until the power was back - he just enjoyed playing. The roar of approval he got when the power was fixed was incredible even though I'd guess half the people in there couldn't have heard a thing of the acoustic set.

Another R.I.P., sadly....... now, where's me check shirt? :lol:

stage struck be a wicked album Mr Wock. Is that the one with Ted Mckenna on drums?? Top Priority is another class album again with TM on drums & the other album I like is Calling Card

Check shirts hehe I got a red one & every time I wear it I feel a need to play a strat

Chobbersjnr
22-Sep-06, 16:30
OK here we go at the mo I have ultimate respect for Katie Moffatt, Koreen Bailey Rae & KT Tunstall

& lets not forget queen of slide guitar Bonnie Raitt

Kev_Plastic_Food
22-Sep-06, 18:42

That she is, remember seeing a video of her playing a tapped version of Flight of the Bumblebee, pretty amazing stuff.

j4bberw0ck
22-Sep-06, 18:55
stage struck be a wicked album Mr Wock.

Until I went to look at the Amazon site I'd wondered if it might be a digital remaster, or something, of the original Stage Struck. But no; it's a double CD correctly titled "Rory Gallagher / Stage Struck" because it's a joint reissue of both those albums.

I've got Top Priority on vinyl (yayy for vinyl), Calling Card and Meeting with the G-Man on CD. Ted McKenna drummed Top Priority, and someone called Rod de'Ath (probably my appalling ignorance at work again) on Calling Card.

How come no one's mentioned Peter Green yet? Some glorious stuff to listen to from the days when Fleetwood Mac was Fleetwood Mac, and not Fleetwood Fluffy Chicken.

Saxo01
22-Sep-06, 20:22
Jeff Healeys playing is a major achievement to say the least, Amazing to see him play, His version of My guitar gently weeps is brilliant

veekay
24-Sep-06, 10:32
After last nights performances I would say John and Issac should rate up there.

tattoo_tearz
24-Sep-06, 15:08
"After last nights performances I would say John and Issac should rate up there"

WOW who is this john and issac?? they must be good if they can be mentioned alongside hendrix, srv, les paul and other greats.......

rockchick
24-Sep-06, 17:38
mmmm...like Jeff Healey, and with him being a Canuck, I probably SHOULD vote for him, BUT

David Gilmour - most underrated guitarist

Jeff Beck - jest because I like him...

Eric Clapton - cuz he can make me cry

Yngie Malmsteen plays scales faster than anyone I've ever heard, but speed's not as important as soul...and unfortunately he doesn't seem to have much.

And yes, Sutherland and son rate up there too!

moncur
24-Sep-06, 20:38
Yngie Malmsteen plays scales faster than anyone I've ever heard, but speed's not as important as soul...and unfortunately he doesn't seem to have much.

Hmmm that should make me a great guitarist because i've got more (shoe) sole than anyone else on this forum!

roblovesplastic
24-Sep-06, 20:49
The edge U2

go on shred him but at the Joshua Tree he was smoking, enough to carry him on this far.

rotflmfao

Saxo01
24-Sep-06, 20:51
:eek: so your the bigfoot everybodys lookin for :lol:

roblovesplastic
24-Sep-06, 20:56
:eek: so your the bigfoot everybodys lookin for :lol:

moi? what have u been waiting?

Tristan
24-Sep-06, 21:08
John Mclaughlin is right up there.

and for the Highschool banter vote I always felf David Gilmour knows how to hit the right note at the right time.

roblovesplastic
24-Sep-06, 21:25
John Mclaughlin is right up there.

and for the Highschool banter vote I always felf David Gilmour knows how to hit the right note at the right time.

whaaaaaaaaaaaat?

tattoo_tearz
27-Sep-06, 15:00
i have so many favourites lol. if i had to pick....hmmm
Eric clapton is definitley one of the best for me. his music holds alot of meaning to me on a personal level and he is despite what some people think still a pretty good guitarist with alot of feeling in his playing. Stevie Ray Vaughan is also one of my favourites as far as blues goes. he was amazing. also ihave been interested by some local musicians over the years. we do have ALOT of talent up here. maybe more than what some people seem to think!!

Chobbersjnr
27-Sep-06, 16:48
John Mclaughlin is right up there..

couldn't agree more

I think the biggest impact & influence on me though has to be Jeff Beck, Wired & Blow By Blow in particular

theboysintheband
27-Sep-06, 17:16
Could well be Brain May for me. Can never decided if it was his playin' or the sound he had.nice combination me thinks!

And although he wasn't technically the best guitar player ever Robbie Robertson played with genuine feeling. its was much more noticable when u seen him live.

moncur
28-Sep-06, 13:11
im surprised no-one mentioned the late great, dimebag darrell from pantera/ damageplan.

Mystical Potato Head
29-Sep-06, 20:33
Who is the best? - Joe Satriani - Technique, Speed and Emotion

Who can play the fastest? - Rusty Cooley - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Who is the most melodic? - Dave Gilmour - GOD!

Who dazzles you with innovation and creativity? - Mattias Eklundh

Whos the daddy? - Kiko Loureiro

Kaishowing
29-Sep-06, 21:11
So many to choose from!!!
But among the truly greatest (in no particular order....because it would keep changing depending on my mood):
Jimi Hendrix
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Dave Gilmour
Eric Clapton
Jimmy Page
Eric Johnson
Chuck Berry

celtic 302
29-Sep-06, 22:34
ur forgettin someone... the Edge -+- for U2. HE IS THE BEST!!!

Gleber2
29-Sep-06, 23:06
All the guitarists mentioned in this thread, with a few exceptions, could be blown off the stage by Segovia, John Williams or Julian Bream. The exceptions being Les Paul and John Mclaughlin and perhaps Martin Taylor.

Jeid
29-Sep-06, 23:46
All the guitarists mentioned in this thread, with a few exceptions, could be blown off the stage by Segovia, John Williams or Julian Bream. The exceptions being Les Paul and John Mclaughlin and perhaps Martin Taylor.

That is of course, your opinion...

Gleber2
30-Sep-06, 01:00
That is of course, your opinion...

But is not every post on this thread a matter of opinion? Some opionions are based on limited knowledge and experience and some are based on many years of experience and great knowledge. Never the less, each post is a matter of opinion and I fail to see why you should bother to state the obvious.

acameron
30-Sep-06, 01:05
Who is the most melodic? Stanley Jordan
Who dazzles you with innovation and creativity? Stanley Jordan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhttY0XkPG0&feature=PlayList&p=4986D4F15F69115B&index=4

Jeid
30-Sep-06, 02:03
But is not every post on this thread a matter of opinion? Some opionions are based on limited knowledge and experience and some are based on many years of experience and great knowledge. Never the less, each post is a matter of opinion and I fail to see why you should bother to state the obvious.

Mainly cos most people said "I think" or "for me" before they said anything else...

Just seemed like when you were saying "All the guitarists mentioned in this thread" that you didn't really rate anyone elses opinion. Mis-read no doubt.

Gleber2
30-Sep-06, 02:45
Mainly cos most people said "I think" or "for me" before they said anything else...

Just seemed like when you were saying "All the guitarists mentioned in this thread" that you didn't really rate anyone elses opinion. Mis-read no doubt.

And you don't like missing a chance to make a snide comment on one of my posts. It is not that I don't rate other peoples opinions, I just don't agree with them.
I've just looked back over this entire thread and not one post started with the words "I think" or "for me". Your opening line is therefore a bit specious, is it not?

Jeid
30-Sep-06, 08:46
Tristan Seume takes my vote
IMHO
I really think
David Gilmour gets my vote
rory gallagher --- a lost talent
gets my vote
No doubt in my mind of the outcome. Les is God.
I would say John and Issac should rate up there.
Eric clapton is definitley one of the best for me.
I think
I think you get the point now. I wasn't having a go at you. As I clearly stated in my last post.... it was probably mis-read. You can check if you want.

Gleber2
30-Sep-06, 12:07
I think you get the point now. I wasn't having a go at you. As I clearly stated in my last post.... it was probably mis-read. You can check if you want.

Aye, right.

acameron
30-Sep-06, 14:37
Stanley Jordan again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjXN3OLgoqs&NR

pultneytooner
02-Oct-06, 18:47
Personal favourites of mine:
Albert lee, Peter green, lyndsay buckingham and Jeff healey.

Oops, nearly forgot ralph mctell.[lol]

Saxo01
04-Oct-06, 20:39
Albert King is a big favourite of mine so cool with his flying V blasting out the blues, Its pretty clear his influence on stevie ray, You can feel stevies admiration & respect for the big guy when they play blues at sunrise together, Albert recorded it originally with hendrix & Janis Joplin, Im always stunned by this track live on the blues at sunrise album

j4bberw0ck
17-Oct-06, 15:21
Stumbled across Bill Wyman's Blues Odyssey on Artsworld (Sky) channel the other evening. Fantastic stuff to listen to; Albert Lee was in there but best of all the amazing Buddy Guy. Prompted me to go dig out the only Buddy Guy album I have; "Damn Right I Got The Blues".

Anyone heard "Hooker'n'Heat" (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hooker-NHeat-1970-Canned-Heat/dp/B000002UZU/sr=8-3/qid=1161094901/ref=sr_1_3/026-1708692-2554045?ie=UTF8&s=music)? Highly recommended.

SNOWDOG
09-Nov-06, 14:05
Alex Lifeson for all round performance and Joe Satriani for all the 'kerrang' and 'widdly-widdly' stuff!

j4bberw0ck
19-Mar-07, 19:42
Somewhere in here we were talking about Roy Buchanan....... found a whole bunch of videos on YouTube. Here's Hey Joe (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIz4PV9e1k8&mode=related&search=); the rest are linked to.

Apologies if you already know about them.

Don't suppose the absolutely stunning female member of the audience that the cameraman clearly fancies (2 mins 33 secs in, to 2 mins 40) lives locally?

<sigh> thought not. :lol:

Camra
19-Mar-07, 21:23
Got to agree on Jeff Beck ........consistently innovative.

PS I shook hands with Tristan Seume to check that he had a normal fretting hand and didnt have six fingers.

Jeemag_USA
19-Mar-07, 22:43
Well you didn't say wether they had to be alive or not? So for me it would be

Django Reinhardt (not living)

then

Carlos Santana (living)

Living or not living Django is always top for me!

Here is a video of Django with of course his partner in crime Stephan Grapelli on bass fiddle! with their other musicians collectively known as The Hot Club De France! You have to listen on through the video to hear Django's solo work, and remember all the fancy runs and licks you hear, he only used two fingers on his left hand when playing, Most of the so called greats in this thread need the whole lot ;)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zD6ZD1Igxr0

another

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ek5kUOxP5CQ

and another

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AEzsPGHsi90

rob murray
20-Mar-07, 10:40
For pure "feel" try Paul Kossoff ( Free ) for outstanding all round technique Steve Howe ( Yes ) and for "fusion" Robert Fripp ( King Crimson ) and John Mclaughlin ( Mahivishna Orchestra ) ( All British )

Technically, Mclaughlin was out there on his own as regards UK guitarists.

My preferance is for Kossoff.

goggs1987
24-Mar-07, 14:40
Mark Tremonti takes my vote!:cool:

Rampant Rabbit
25-Mar-07, 17:00
Ye The Boys Fae E Lighthouse R Great Keep Them Rockin The Johnny Fats Band R One O The Best

maidencaithness
26-Mar-07, 00:24
Tommy Boiln for me, just have to stick on some live stuff from his Energy band to remember he was the ultimate (and only 20-21 at the time). His heroin riddled Purple days were a shadow of his former glory.

Geo
25-May-07, 13:43
I've rcently discovered Tommy Emmanuel. The guy is brilliant.

Tall Fiddler
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szd7r_Gib4c&mode=related&search=

Guitar Boogie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lbvSBNLLoo&mode=related&search=