PDA

View Full Version : cheap specs

NickInTheNorth
25-May-11, 19:35
anyone want new glasses - just bought 2 pairs less than £10 each! lensway.co.uk use the promo code 11LW250 at checkout!

Kodiak
25-May-11, 20:02
Eyesight is a Very Precious Sence and I for one would not buy Cheap Glasses from a Web Site.

I much prefer going to Mr Henderson who I know gives me First Class Service. I have been going to him since 1983 and I have never had any form of complaint.

Buy Cheap Glasses and possibly ruin my sight, never!!

NickInTheNorth
25-May-11, 20:16
each to their own.

I have my eyes tested by a qualified optician every year, then I take my prescription and buy my glasses where I don't get ripped off.

The web sites I buy from buy there lenses from the same manufacturers as the high street opticians, and often use the same labs to glaze the frames.

There is nothing "cheap" about the glasses other than the price. And yes, I have had the finished specs tested many times by a friend of mine who is a qualified opthalmologist whio first put me onto the "cheap" glasses on the internet. These are as good as you can buy anywhere on the high street.

bekisman
25-May-11, 20:20
each to their own.

I have my eyes tested by a qualified optician every year, then I take my prescription and buy my glasses where I don't get ripped off.

The web sites I buy from buy there lenses from the same manufacturers as the high street opticians, and often use the same labs to glaze the frames.

There is nothing "cheap" about the glasses other than the price. And yes, I have had the finished specs tested many times by a friend of mine who is a qualified opthalmologist whio first put me onto the "cheap" glasses on the internet. These are as good as you can buy anywhere on the high street.

Fully agree with you - I get mine tested by Specsavers or Vision Express and get my contacts from Daysoft with the valid prescription..

hardcore superstar
25-May-11, 23:38
i just tried to order but it doesn't like the code anymore ... 'Coupon Code has reached its usage limit'

squidge
26-May-11, 07:47
I bought a very nice pair of specs from tesco recently. They do tesco basic frames which are very nice fashionable thin black frames. They were £15!!!

Kevin Milkins
26-May-11, 08:09
My first girl friend is a qualified optician and I aggree with what is said about buying on line as long as you have a prescription.

Our relationship didn't last very long as she kept saying " do you prefere it like this, or is better like that". ;)

Anfield
26-May-11, 18:16
I contacted Thurso optician for an eye test and was informed that the next available date for a test was in June!
I then arranged for a test in Wick, and after a test was informed that my new glasses would cost nearly £200, made up of £102 for lens (I wear bi-focals) and £89 for a pair of run of the mill frames
I then contacted GlassesDirect (http://www.glassesdirect.co.uk/) and found that I could obtain 2 pair for £79, which included a £30 surcharge for Bi-focals. They also have an offer on giving you a £30 discount on frames over £79.
Whilst I try to support local businesses I can not find any compelling reason to part with £200 when I can get similar article for £79

Kodiak
26-May-11, 18:49
Well I would not pay £200 for a pair of Glasses either.

As I have stated I always go to Mr Henderson in Thurso. My Last Glasses were Vari-Focal in a Designer Metal Frame.

The Total cost was £85.00 and I can also take them back for any repair for no charge.

Try and get your glasses repaired for free from a web site and see what happens.

NickInTheNorth
26-May-11, 19:13
I have never in my life needed a pair of glasses repaired, and if I ever did I am more than capable of a bit of DIY. And at £10 for a pair of specs I would happily buy a new pair if they broke.

Tilly Teckel
27-May-11, 01:07
I'm a Lensway customer too and am glad of them- I couldn't afford my contact lenses otherwise! You have to get your prescription from the opthamologist but I can buy exactly the same lenses for almost half the price online. Maybe if I had money to burn I wouldn't bother but.... ;)

Anfield
27-May-11, 17:08
"..I much prefer going to Mr Henderson who I know gives me First Class Service. I have been going to him since 1983 and I have never had any form of complaint.

Did you have your glasses on last year when you paid £20 for a bag of sweets from Continental Market?

john harrold
27-May-11, 21:59
specs by post .co.uk fast service low cost . 5*****