PDA

View Full Version : Sleep

squidge
25-May-11, 10:13
Last night I went to bed at midnight and today my alarm woke me up. That's the first time in about 2 years I have had a restful solid nights sleep. Since having a section for the last baby quickly followed by my appendix out and an infection which lasted for six long months I have struggled with terrible daytime sleepiness. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea recently and was given a machine to wear which blows pressurised air into my face. I have steadily been feeling better and better and I am now publicly declaring that, despite a rocky start to our relationship, despite despairing we will ever find a way to live together and despite the fact that it makes me look like a cyber man.... CPAP machine .... I love you xxxx

Stefan
25-May-11, 11:50
Awww..... sweet....

No honestly, there is nothing worse than not being able to sleep properly, wears you down, worse than tooth ache !
Unless of course you can't sleep because of tooth ache... that's even worse. :eek:

Hope it carries on and you will get a few decent nights sleep to come.

brandy
25-May-11, 12:42
argghh stop with the tooth ache! i have one now! abscess with intent of root canal at the end of JUNE!! not nice!
but well done! very glad you have been able to get some sleep! been thru the section and infection bit! not nice!!
and to have all the rest on top!! EEEK!

ducati
25-May-11, 14:12
squidge, I've had a CPAP machine for about 7 years and I am happy to say it has completely changed my life. I was stopping breathing 60 times an hour (therealducati just said it was nothing to do with the pillow over my face LOL) when asleep, doesnt make for a very restful night.

I can now drive down to my mum's (9 hours) without any problem. Previously I would start to get tired after being in the car for an hour. It never affected me on the Motorbike though :eek:

The machine was a bit difficult for the first few nights but you soon get used to it. :D

squidge
25-May-11, 14:55
Thanks for that guys. Ducati I was the same. When I went for my sleep test in march I had been feeling better since Christmas and I was sure they would not find a problem. When she said I was stopping breathing 57 times an hour I was amazed and horrified. Goodness knows what they would have found before Christmas. The nurse said it was a wonder I was getting up in the morning never mind feeling better lol.

I have struggled but the difference in the energy I have now compared to three months ago is massive.

Eilanboy
25-May-11, 15:55
Have to agree.Have had the CPAP machine for four years and it is brilliant.No more falling asleep at lunchtime or when reading the paper.Even if I do have a groove on the bridge of my nose and the tell tale strap marks on my cheeks I would never part with it.