PDA

View Full Version : Sorn Your Car/Cars If It Has No Insurance

tori
24-May-11, 16:12
Any One Else Heard About This You Even Have To Sorn It When Its In Your Drive/garage Wtf there always bringing out silly laws

Dadie
24-May-11, 16:16
Yup, been like that for ages, its to stop/try to stop people from driving their cars without road tax, MOT and no insurance.

starfish
24-May-11, 16:16
this will not stop the ones driving about with no insurance because the ones that drive like that often do not register the cars in they names anyway

bekisman
24-May-11, 16:17
"The new vehicle insurance law means that the registered keeper of a vehicle must keep it insured unless they've made a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification). If you're not insured and haven't made a SORN, you could face a penalty"
(Comes in in June this year)
Think it's an excellent idea
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Motorinsurance/DG_186696?CID=Continuous_Insurance&PLA=DM&CRE=Furl

theone
24-May-11, 17:50
I don't see the problem. You tick the SORN box on your tax renewal. It doesn't cost anything. You can even do it online.

It'll stop people leaving uninsured cars on the road.

Walter Ego
24-May-11, 18:01
What's silly about it? If you don't want to pay - SORN the vehicle. A simple concept grasped by millions. It obviously eludes you.

poppett
24-May-11, 18:24
Even when the car is SORN and in a locked garage I still would have fire and theft cover on the vehicle... just in case. SORN is easy to do, and just as easy to undo when requiring the use of the vehicle again.

tori
24-May-11, 18:53
so if u sorn a vehicle has that vehicle got to be in a drive/garage i take it u cant keep it on the road then ?

joxville
24-May-11, 19:10
so if u sorn a vehicle has that vehicle got to be in a drive/garage i take it u cant keep it on the road then ?

Statutory OFF ROAD Notification means exactly that, you CANNOT leave it on the road, it must be on a driveway or in a garage; even parking it off road on a public grass verge will still make you liable for taxing it or prosecution, unless the grass verge is private property i.e. it adjoins a property you own.

Stefan
24-May-11, 19:12
A SORN vehicle can not be parked on a public road, no.

Rheghead
24-May-11, 19:41
I always understood that it was illegal to keep an uninsured vehicle on the road, in fact I'm pretty much certain of that so I can't see much point in the new legislation except to clear up the situation where a vehicle has a valid tax disc and the insurance has expired. It just helps the police I guess, if a car has a valid tax disc then there is more likelihood of it being insured than if it doesn't.

bekisman
24-May-11, 19:59
I should imagine that the coppers with their ANPR will not be so busy - all vehicles not SORN(ed) will be shown on DVLA and could get a visit from the bobbies?

Stefan
25-May-11, 00:16
It's time this system came into force AND had serious consequences.
Back in the day in Germany it was (and still is of course) impossible to keep an uninsured car on the road.
Your insurer will inform the German version of DVLA who will send you a letter, then an officer who takes away your registration disc and clamps the vehicle. Eventually it will get taken off the road and stored safely (and it costs you a fortune to get it released) and as a last resort it will get crushed...
Believe me, an uninsured car on a German road is a rarity.
Same goes for not paying tax. It will trigger your insurance to become invalid and the rest of the scenario is described above....

UK is just 30 years behind... as usual ;-)

theone
25-May-11, 00:27
It's time this system came into force AND had serious consequences.
Back in the day in Germany it was (and still is of course) impossible to keep an uninsured car on the road.
Your insurer will inform the German version of DVLA who will send you a letter, then an officer who takes away your registration disc and clamps the vehicle. Eventually it will get taken off the road and stored safely (and it costs you a fortune to get it released) and as a last resort it will get crushed...
Believe me, an uninsured car on a German road is a rarity.
Same goes for not paying tax. It will trigger your insurance to become invalid and the rest of the scenario is described above....

UK is just 30 years behind... as usual ;-)

We could learn a lot from Germany.

Winter tyres would be a start. People using fog lights when not needed, People lingering in the 2nd/3rd lanes on dual carriageways/motorways, the list goes on...........

ducati
25-May-11, 06:17
We could learn a lot from Germany.

But, in the eternal words of Oz "they're the 'buckets' that bombed me granny"!

Stefan
25-May-11, 08:44
a: he was austrian
b: let the past rest
c: germans have moved on and learned from their mistake
d: british still sitting on their backsides moaning about what happened 70 years ago...

Get a life and SORN your car ;-)

ducati
25-May-11, 10:33
a: he was austrian
b: let the past rest
c: germans have moved on and learned from their mistake
d: british still sitting on their backsides moaning about what happened 70 years ago...

Get a life and SORN your car ;-)

Not British.....Geordies:eek::lol:

billmoseley
26-May-11, 12:19
i was thinking of taking my car off the road but this has changed my mind. seems a lot of work. i mean have you ever sorn a car in half and i quite sure when you put it back together it will never look the same

ducati
26-May-11, 12:49
i was thinking of taking my car off the road but this has changed my mind. seems a lot of work. i mean have you ever sorn a car in half and i quite sure when you put it back together it will never look the same

Oh! I bought one like that :eek:

Bobinovich
26-May-11, 13:45
The only pain with this system is when you get yourself a new car but still have your old one while trying to sell it privately. Sure you can SORN it until someone wants to take it for a test drive but have to then notify DVLA to de-SORN it, and then have to insure it (at the ridiculous rate the insurance companies charge for short term insurance) in order for them to do so. Then if they don't buy it you've paid out a whack just for them to test drive it!

bekisman
26-May-11, 14:05

Is that the 'cut and shut' I keep hearing about?