PDA

View Full Version : Head Lights

grumpyhippo
14-Sep-06, 21:02
Today was especially grey even for Caithness in September. I, and Ms Grumpy, both noticed that a significant number of fellow road users were not using head lights. It was dismal all over the county and in the heavy rain showers the visibility was done to a few tens of yards in places.
I sure we've all left home thinking its not too bad but if the first few cars you see coming towards you have lights, and you dont, the go with the bunch and put on you lights on (dipped head lights......side light are useless at more than 3 paces). In poor weather you can almost become invisible in the gloom and being seem is as important as seeing when driving.

Good, glad I got that off my chest......... now Ms G might get of my back!!

Billy Boy
14-Sep-06, 21:11
and these are the very ones that would have plenty to say if someone were to hit them [disgust]

maverick
14-Sep-06, 21:13
I believe the minimum legal requirement for driving with lights is dipped main beam, driving with sidelights only will get you a fixed penalty.

j4bberw0ck
14-Sep-06, 21:34
Maverick's right. Equally, I get well irritated by those people who insist on driving using their headlamps together with the foglamps (because they think it makes them look like Hannu Mikola, or Duncan MacRae) or who put their high-intensity fog rearlights on when it's raining, so that no one behind them can see a thing. Or who, when using the lights in fog, don't switch them off when a vehicle comes up behind them.

All are fixed penalty lighting offences, all are unenforced by the police, unfortunately.

tommy1979
14-Sep-06, 22:10
Today was especially grey even for Caithness in September. I, and Ms Grumpy, both noticed that a significant number of fellow road users were not using head lights.

totally agree with you there, very annoying indeed [evil]

unforunataly we have to accept that these morons are on the road and we just have to do our best to avoid them...:confused

Dali
15-Sep-06, 08:28
Maverick's right. Equally, I get well irritated by those people who insist on driving using their headlamps together with the foglamps (because they think it makes them look like Hannu Mikola, or Duncan MacRae) or who put their high-intensity fog rearlights on when it's raining, so that no one behind them can see a thing. Or who, when using the lights in fog, don't switch them off when a vehicle comes up behind them.

All are fixed penalty lighting offences, all are unenforced by the police, unfortunately.

It is legal to use your front and rear foglights in heavy rain showers.
What i do notice alot tho is peole who only seem to have 1 headlight and 1 very dim sidelight .Seems like every other car i pass on the road these days .

henry20
15-Sep-06, 08:36
What i do notice alot tho is peole who only seem to have 1 headlight and 1 very dim sidelight .Seems like every other car i pass on the road theses days .

I met someone fitting this description last night on a corner on a country road - thought it was a motorcyclist at first and had a heart racing moment when I realised it was a car.

footie chick
15-Sep-06, 08:59
All cars should be like the Volvos and the lights come on as soon as the engine is turned on.

Dreadnought
15-Sep-06, 09:28
Incorrectly used foglights are annoying, but what about all the psychics and telepaths out there? You know the ones, the people who never use their indicators on roundabouts, junctions, approaching a turn as you wait to pull out... they are obviously telepathically gifted as you are supposed to know what they are doing. :roll:

j4bberw0ck
15-Sep-06, 09:51

(Not wanting to start an argument! :lol: )

AIUI, it's illegal under the Road Traffic Act to use lights in such a manner as to dazzle other motorists. Front foglights have a beam pattern which throws light low directly in front and high at each side so they can light the edge of the road. In rain, the light is scattered and reflected and adds nothing to the driver's field of vision, but they do dazzle oncoming vehicles.

Rear fogs in rain are even worse - too bright to look at (particularly at night) and the information I had from a gentleman of the Constabulary (bike patrolman / instructor) was that that, too, is technically caught by the RTA Lighting regulations.

I'm always happy to be be proved wrong, but let me just say that even if use of auxiliary lights is legal in rain, it's thoughtless, selfish, downright discourteous and potentially dangerous.

I agree with footie chick wholeheartedly. Why cars still have sidelights is beyond me; lights should be hardwired through the ignition. (Worth noting that most new motorbikes are wired that way now to meet "light on" regs in Europe). Auxiliary driving (not fog) lights should be relayed through the main beam circuit so they're off when dip beam is on. Hi-intensity rear fogs should be switched so that when the ignition is switched off, they switch off and have to be reactivated again to avoid being left on for days by people whose attention is so poor they don't see the telltale light on the dashboard.

Wow. Sorry, didn't mean to rant again..... :roll: but much of Europe gets it right; why can't we?

j4bberw0ck
15-Sep-06, 10:00
the people who never use their indicators on roundabouts, junctions, approaching a turn as you wait to pull out... they are obviously telepathically gifted as you are supposed to know what they are doing

:lol: As a biker, add to that list the SMIDSY drivers. The "Sorry Mate I Didn't See You" crowd who can look in your direction and completely fail to notice 660lbs of silver motorbike, hi-intensity Xenon headlight on, with 200 lbs of rider wearing a police fluorescent overjacket with Reflexite banding, plus a silver helmet.

They look directly at you and then pull out anyway :roll:

They notice me fast enough if I'm behind them and with the blue-ish headlight, silver fairing and Reflexite jacket usually can't get out of my way quick enough because they think I might be Police. Great on the A9 - it's like the parting of the Red Sea on a busy day......

Dali
15-Sep-06, 10:22
(Not wanting to start an argument! :lol: )

AIUI, it's illegal under the Road Traffic Act to use lights in such a manner as to dazzle other motorists. Front foglights have a beam pattern which throws light low directly in front and high at each side so they can light the edge of the road. In rain, the light is scattered and reflected and adds nothing to the driver's field of vision, but they do dazzle oncoming vehicles.

Rear fogs in rain are even worse - too bright to look at (particularly at night) and the information I had from a gentleman of the Constabulary (bike patrolman / instructor) was that that, too, is technically caught by the RTA Lighting regulations.

I'm always happy to be be proved wrong, but let me just say that even if use of auxiliary lights is legal in rain, it's thoughtless, selfish, downright discourteous and potentially dangerous.

I agree with footie chick wholeheartedly. Why cars still have sidelights is beyond me; lights should be hardwired through the ignition. (Worth noting that most new motorbikes are wired that way now to meet "light on" regs in Europe). Auxiliary driving (not fog) lights should be relayed through the main beam circuit so they're off when dip beam is on. Hi-intensity rear fogs should be switched so that when the ignition is switched off, they switch off and have to be reactivated again to avoid being left on for days by people whose attention is so poor they don't see the telltale light on the dashboard.

Wow. Sorry, didn't mean to rant again..... :roll: but much of Europe gets it right; why can't we?

Not sure were you pulled your quote from but this is from the highway code.

201. You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 211).

Bobinovich
15-Sep-06, 11:23
Incorrectly used foglights are annoying, but what about all the psychics and telepaths out there? You know the ones, the people who never use their indicators on roundabouts, junctions, approaching a turn as you wait to pull out... they are obviously telepathically gifted as you are supposed to know what they are doing. :roll:

Having been in the situation of turning out of a junction while the oncoming car was indicating to turn into the same junction and almost being rammed in the side because he hadn't realised his indicator was on, and knowing that it would have been me who got done if he had hit me, then it begs the question what is the point of indicating at a junction? - the other person still has to wait until you start to turn to ensure the same thing doesn't happen to them.

Not a rant j4bberw0ck, just good common sense - something which our Government doesn't seem to have a lot of...

mccaugm
15-Sep-06, 23:37
Today was especially grey even for Caithness in September. I, and Ms Grumpy, both noticed that a significant number of fellow road users were not using head lights. It was dismal all over the county and in the heavy rain showers the visibility was done to a few tens of yards in places.
I sure we've all left home thinking its not too bad but if the first few cars you see coming towards you have lights, and you dont, the go with the bunch and put on you lights on (dipped head lights......side light are useless at more than 3 paces). In poor weather you can almost become invisible in the gloom and being seem is as important as seeing when driving.

Good, glad I got that off my chest......... now Ms G might get of my back!!

If it makes a sensitive subject a little lighter, "allegedly" when my brother in law sat his driving test, he was asked by the examiner when he should turn his headlights on, quick as a flash, he answered, "When everyone else does". I don't think he passed first time but he has been a lorry driver for about 20 years now.

Dreadnought
15-Sep-06, 23:41
Having been in the situation of turning out of a junction while the oncoming car was indicating to turn into the same junction and almost being rammed in the side because he hadn't realised his indicator was on, and knowing that it would have been me who got done if he had hit me, then it begs the question what is the point of indicating at a junction? - the other person still has to wait until you start to turn to ensure the same thing doesn't happen to them.

People who don't indicate should be fined and have points put on their licenses. Even better they should receive a one month ban. They are bad drivers and should not be on the road.

crayola
16-Sep-06, 00:00
People who don't indicate should be fined and have points put on their licenses. Even better they should receive a one month ban. They are bad drivers and should not be on the road.Sounds like the new system on the Org. Is that where you got your inspiration? :lol:

Bobinovich
16-Sep-06, 13:33
People who don't indicate should be fined and have points put on their licenses. Even better they should receive a one month ban. They are bad drivers and should not be on the road.

That's fine so long as people who indicate incorrectly, use the worng lights in the wrong situations, etc. get points put on their licences or banned too!

Up to the date of that near accident I used my indicators correctly. I do still use them when I feel the need but don't feel guilty or in the wrong by not doing so all the time.

maverick
16-Sep-06, 21:16

I recently had a chat with my brother in law who is a traffic cop with the fife constabulary. He was telling me recently that he was involved in a case where a motorist blinded another motorist by using full beam with driving lamps and spot lights, aparently spot lights on a vehicle are illegal ( contravenes construction and use regulations for motor vehicles or something like that) anyway the offender ends up in court gets banned for 18 months and the sherriff also tells him that he has to re-sit his driving test, apparently mis-use of lights on vehicles carries stiff penalties.

roblovesplastic
16-Sep-06, 21:22
Sounds like the new system on the Org. Is that where you got your inspiration? :lol:

still classy

_Ju_
16-Sep-06, 21:49
Just this evening ( around 19:00) I saw the strangest manouver in my life..... I was coming to the roundabout from the odd bins road, and stopped before the roundabout to let a car coming from the bridge straight across. Behind it a person (???????????), taking advantage of everyone else having come to a stop due to the usual priority rules of a roundabout, turns from the bridge to the right (road to the police station) which in istaself wouldn't be a problem, but "it" (I have to use the word "it", as no other is adequate) decided not to contour the roundabout, but cut straight to the right (ie: going against the flow of traffic. I couldn't believe it. What if someone had started onto the roundabout from the opposite end, counting on the fact that the idiot knew the rules of the road and would go around the roundabout?? Everyone at the roundabout was just shaking thier heads in dispair. I wonder if those CCTV cameras will be of any good to punish the person who drove in this dangerous way? I have a sinking feeling that they wont.

PS: The car was british and not new (old BMW station wagon- dark blue): ie this was apparently not a european driver in a rent-a-car.

footie chick
16-Sep-06, 22:10
I hate getting to the roundabout and some numpty in front has no idea what they are doing and having to wait until the roundabout is clear before the go :mad: the person on the right has the right of way if they are a numpty just go!

muddywilli
16-Sep-06, 22:47
Ok so misuse of lights are very annoying, epecially in bad weather.
Also what really gets my goat is....
The Moron thats has left home on main beam and doesn't even know what the bright blue light is on the dash and we are talking midday hours.
The Dickweed that slows up, stops, then checks mirror and eventually realises he better indicate seeing he thought about pulling in ten minutes ago.
The taxi drivers that all think it's there right to do u-turns anywhere on the planet and double park at there convenience.
The White Van Man who stop in the traffic light clue to deliver, jumps out the cab, then reaches in to hit the hazzard switch.
The little old lady in her Nissan Micra who stops at the mini roundabout and waits patiently for something to appear from her right, just so she can give way.
The road map plonker who is incapable of pulling over to read and insists on doing 20mph on a A road whilst reading the map.
Then of course we get the moped street crew who dream they all ride 850cc honda's and sit behind you at a junction revving the poor little 49cc engine as if they were on the Silverstone circuit.
We have idiots that drive either close enough behind they could replace your rear wiper or those that overtake, squeeze in to a gap infront that wasn't big enough until you started braking.
Those tossers who drive forward into the parking space at the side of the road and then realise they should of reversed in, like the time before, and the time before, oh and the time before that.
And finally the old chap who probably never had to take a driving test, who pulls out of Somerfield car park in front of you and insists on getting all the way home in first and second gear on full revs.

Now here's the best bit... people who walk in the road.
HELLO.. the pavement, it was put there for a purpose.
What is it with single parent mums who push there buggy containing a child usually or the shopping ( because the child is running a mock on the pavement behind them) into the road first without even a glance on whats coming.
The youth that think hey this is cool lets all cross the road and slow the traffic up, look hard and stroll, they would run us down.
Well here is some heart stopping news.... i never stop for ignorant people so beware, next time you see a old battered discovery just think... how did that vehicle become dented so badly.

Anyway after all that moaning i'm not a bad person, very patient and very polite to most road users... with exception.

sam
16-Sep-06, 22:51
i think you pretty much got it to a tee there muddywilli;)
i couldnt agree with you more :D

hobbes1962
18-Sep-06, 17:24
Do you know what annoys me, is the amount of boy racers who think it is cool to drive around on clear nights with their fog lights on blinding everyone and then when it is foggy, the never use them!!!

lassieinfife
18-Sep-06, 19:19
As a non driver can I add my wee bit ........drivers who insist on driving well over the limit in 20 mph zones..... It might just be your child as someones else's you hit, also pavements are not always provided for pedestrians and we have nowhere else to walk on bar deeply rutted grass verges....and how do they get in that state? by drivers parking there, so although us foot passenger's do cause some problems , drivers on the whole cause more ...... ah but then we dont pay road tax do we?but what about the council tax ?surelt pavements should come out of that

muddywilli
18-Sep-06, 21:31
I totally agree with you. Parking on pavements should carry a hefty fine, same as double yellow line parking outside the takeaway. Parking on the pavement puts pedestrians in danger as often they end up stepping into the road. I think and i'm sure someone will back me up, somewhere in our poorly policed law it is illegal to park on the pavement. Usually bad parking is due to idleness of the driver or passingers. For some reason the White Man Van (poor man getting in the neck again) thinks he is driving a lorry because he usually pulls onto the pavement even if the road is wide enough to pass three vehicles. Maybe he thinks is safer... safer for who i ask? The parents with three kids going round or the poor old lady with her shopping trolley about to get hit by the swinging rear door. I wasn't getting at the poor old bobby, there just isn't enough of them. One day when i'm the leader (no, not the one at the front of Tesco queue) of the country i shall have a special fine list which goes like this...

Parking on double yellow line whilst getting chinese takeaway.... £500
Parking on the pavement/restricting access to pedestrians .... £400
Driving to fast to stop at a zebra crossing .... £300
Taking up muliple parking spaces with one car .... £200
Lack of attention when the lights turn green .... £100

I'm not that bad you know, 50% of all fines will go to Animal rescue.

Bobinovich
18-Sep-06, 22:34
Taking up muliple parking spaces with one car .... £200

Oooh I like that one - a pet peeve of mine along with people who 'abandon' their car because they can't be bothered parking it right (i.e. 4ft from the kerb with front wheel, 6ft with rear and Yes, I have seen it :eek: ...)

grumpyhippo
27-Sep-06, 19:10
Just to add a little gender differentiation to this thread. Ms Grumpy has just come up the A9, between the Georgemas juction and Thurso she counted 20 vehicles without lights (lots of others did have lights on), 3 were women, 17 were men.

To save anyone else the trouble I have all ready made her ears bleed because she could not have been paying 100% to her driving.

rfr10
27-Sep-06, 22:09
Might be a bit of a random thing to say but even though I'm too young to drive yet, the thing that I don't like is cars with headlights which have a blue or orange tint to them, they hurt my eyes more than full beam headlights do.