PDA

View Full Version : Private CHaP customers

bcsman
23-May-11, 22:48
The council want to approach the 14 private CHaP heating customers individually to understand our circumstances and discuss our reinstatement.
I dont like the idea of the council contacting each of us individually,it smells of a divide and conquer tactic by the council,i just do not trust them.
I think all the private customers need to stick together and have a meeting with the council so we all know what the council's intentions are.
What do the other private customers think?

Macwull
23-May-11, 23:01
I too am a private customer of chap and totally agree with you bcsman. The only chance we have of getting a decent deal is if we all stick together. I cant afford another £3k to install an alternative system and why should I when the council have been totally incompetent throughout this CHaP fiasco.

The whole system should have been tried and tested before this was allowed to be installed in any house council or not.

There surly must be some more private customers on the org.

xva
24-May-11, 14:05
While I don't want to diminish the level of cost you've put into this as private individuals, the Council have spent £14million of local taxpayers money (and counting) to heat 242 houses in the name of 'preventing fuel poverty'. That works out the taxpayer has spent £57,851 on each household.

If the Council had instead decided to pay the normal heating bills of 1,000 homes in Wick for 10 years they still wouldn't have spent that much money.

Margaret M.
24-May-11, 18:51
I think all the private customers need to stick together and have a meeting with the council so we all know what the council's intentions are.
What do the other private customers think?

If it were me, I would bring xva and Dozy with me to the meeting. Failing that, I would not agree to anything until I ran it by them first. They seem to have a much better handle on this project than anyone on the council.

bcsman
24-May-11, 19:12
i agree Mararet M,i think dozy's and xva's knowledge will be invaluble at a meeting but the council want to discuss matters with the private owners individually,this is what i dont like,i would rather the private owners come together and meet the council at one meeting with someone like dozy or xva as a spokesperson so the council cant pull the wool over our eyes anymore.

If it were me, I would bring xva and Dozy with me to the meeting. Failing that, I would not agree to anything until I ran it by them first. They seem to have a much better handle on this project than anyone on the council.

Margaret M.
24-May-11, 19:28
Request a group meeting with the council, bcsman, they owe you that much!

xva
24-May-11, 19:56
I would be more than happy to come to any meeting and provide any assistance I can. In the end though it has to be your individual decisions. PM me and I will give you my contact details.

In my communication with Steve Barron this week his approach has now become petty which doesn't suit someone in his position. They are clearly bitter and peeved at being hung out to dry in public again.

My short term advice to you is:

a) get your CHaP contract checked out by a lawyer. If you want to send me a copy of your contract I can get my legal adviser to look at it. For all I know you may have a contract that says CHaP has to supply you with cheap energy full stop.

b) The Council's approach of divide and conquer is a classic approach to avoid everyone knowing something that just one person has found out. So insist on having a group meeting with the Council, at least initially - you can all do individual deals if you want after knowing all the facts.

c) they will use the argument that you had cheap heating for years therefore you won't get fully compensated. Do not accept that argument under any terms. You hold the upper hand - you have a contract with CHaP; they are in danger of being in breach of it.

allie1111
24-May-11, 20:50
While I agree we should stick together on this. At the end of the day the council can't leave any of us with no heating, but until we know what the council intend to do this is all speculation. And as for the chap contracts, when I signed up for the Ignis deal I was told that I had a Council contract despite never signing a new one! I'm sure we are all in the same position.

Macwull
24-May-11, 21:03
While I agree we should stick together on this. At the end of the day the council can't leave any of us with no heating, but until we know what the council intend to do this is all speculation. And as for the chap contracts, when I signed up for the Ignis deal I was told that I had a Council contract despite never signing a new one! I'm sure we are all in the same position.

You would hope the council couldn't leave us with no heating but surly everything's a possibility. The council failed totally with this system and it was there negligence that helped fuel this farce. Yes I was told that the contract I signed was a Council contract. The council surly has a duty to reinstate a heating system.

bcsman
24-May-11, 21:13
you would think the council would admit their incompetence and do everything in their power to help all those who signed up to this farce.Bill Fernie is not saying too much to reasure the people who put him in his posistion of power and as for councillor Greame Smith,yes hes the one who pushed for this failed and untested heating,he is like the invisible man,no backbone at all.lets hope newly elected councillor Gail Ross can make a stand and do the right thing for the people affected by this mess

You would hope the council couldn't leave us with no heating but surly everything's a possibility. The council failed totally with this system and it was there negligence that helped fuel this farce. Yes I was told that the contract I signed was a Council contract. The council surly has a duty to reinstate a heating system.

Macwull
24-May-11, 21:34
While I don't want to diminish the level of cost you've put into this as private individuals, the Council have spent £14million of local taxpayers money (and counting) to heat 242 houses in the name of 'preventing fuel poverty'. That works out the taxpayer has spent £57,851 on each household.

If the Council had instead decided to pay the normal heating bills of 1,000 homes in Wick for 10 years they still wouldn't have spent that much money.

I too am a local taxpayer. I became a customer of the Caithness Heat and Power Scheme when there salesman came knocking on my door. I got it believing it was going to be a better system than my old and useless storage heaters. I wasn't involved in the running or incompetence of this system. I agree with all other taxpayers this must stop but the council needs to either get the system working whether its handed over to the community or a company or reinstate new heating in all houses.

I would far rather the council didn't close schools/libraries or didn't cut services.

bcsman
24-May-11, 21:40
yes macwull,like you i am a taxpayer and appalled at how much public money has been wasted on this white elephant.

Rheghead
24-May-11, 22:43
At about £14,000 a pop, the money could have been used to put ground-source heating in 1000 homes, instead it has all been frittered away to nothing.

Macwull
25-May-11, 07:31
At about £14,000 a pop, the money could have been used to put ground-source heating in 1000 homes, instead it has all been frittered away to nothing.

Yes there are many places the money could have gone. It could have gone towards the new high school, it could have repaired the pot holes in the road. I dont see why this post was posted in this thread. I didnt install a heating system for 4 Years! This thread was supposed to be for helping the private customers that are at the centre of the councils incompetence not letting us know how else the money could have been spent.

dozy
25-May-11, 10:29
I find it strange that some are suggesting that those on the heat scheme should somehow feel guilty about what happened at CHaP .Thats totally wrong to suggest such a thing ,its the COUNCILLORS that are guilty and lets not forget its them that are still creaming in 6 figures a year. If anything the Customers of the failed scheme and the folk of Wick should be angry and demand things get sorted .They should not go "cap in hand" and except whatever the Council think is the least they can get away with, to offer these victims of this Council run mess, they deserve much better threatment .So if there's any finger pointing or wagging to be done ,get yourselves down to the Council Offices and point them at the folk who deserve it . Councillors have retreated into thier hiddy holes hoping this will all pass quickly if they keep their faces hidden long enough .They now offer up as cannon fodder council employees who now have to run around with these stupid one off offers as a bribe to those who TRUSTED what was promised by them .

Macwull
25-May-11, 21:41
I find it strange that some are suggesting that those on the heat scheme should somehow feel guilty about what happened at CHaP .Thats totally wrong to suggest such a thing ,its the COUNCILLORS that are guilty and lets not forget its them that are still creaming in 6 figures a year. If anything the Customers of the failed scheme and the folk of Wick should be angry and demand things get sorted .They should not go "cap in hand" and except whatever the Council think is the least they can get away with, to offer these victims of this Council run mess, they deserve much better threatment .So if there's any finger pointing or wagging to be done ,get yourselves down to the Council Offices and point them at the folk who deserve it . Councillors have retreated into thier hiddy holes hoping this will all pass quickly if they keep their faces hidden long enough .They now offer up as cannon fodder council employees who now have to run around with these stupid one off offers as a bribe to those who TRUSTED what was promised by them .

Thanks dozy, you wouldn't believe the amount of people that have said the phrase 'im paying for your heating!' and aren't happy with the money wasted trying to imply that its my fault as I have the cheap heating which just isn't true!

bcsman
25-May-11, 22:11
yes,this mess is not the private customers fault and i cant understand why anyone would think we are in anyway at fault here,we were mis sold this heating,it COST US alot of money to install and now we dont know if we are going to have to pay to get another heating system installed.

Thanks dozy, you wouldn't believe the amount of people that have said the phrase 'im paying for your heating!' and aren't happy with the money wasted trying to imply that its my fault as I have the cheap heating which just isn't true!