PDA

View Full Version : dunrobin castle

starfish
22-May-11, 19:01
what is dunrobin castle like is it worth a visit with a 6 and 4 year old and what is there that will intrest them

heather11
22-May-11, 19:47
hi, we took our 2 boys (8 and 12 approx) about 8 years ago and it was a really good day out. The falconry was excellent and well worth seeing, the guy with the birds of prey was very good. The rooms are really interesting and there are guides to speak to if you want to. Had a meal in the cafe also and it was very good.

starfish
22-May-11, 19:49
thanks just trying to think of things to do on the wick inverness rail route as they want to go away on a train

Ricanna
22-May-11, 19:54
I went there after being in the Borders and Perthshire visiting castles and the like and thought it the best I had seen. Was rather ashamed that I had driven past so many times on the way elsewhere when this is nearly on the door step

buzzard
23-May-11, 08:06
We went just last week. I agree the falconry was very good and the castle is lovely. The inside is maybe not the most interesting for kids, but the museum in the garden is quite good for kids (stuffed animals etc)...but I would certainly recommend having a walk around the castle: turning left into the woods (northwards) before you reach the car park (you can park in the car park) until you get to the coast and then walking back past the castle along the sea so you can view the castle from there. The walk is really beautiful (there are several walks in the woodlands around the castle), maybe even better than visiting the castle, and no entrance fees have to be paid for walking in the woods so that's a lovely cheap outing.

Dadie
23-May-11, 09:01
I can remember my sister being scared of the stuffed birds and animals on a school trip...so it would depend on your kids whether the museum is worth going into or not...
The falconry is good, but, its better if you can get good weather as the display is better.
The birds dont like getting too wet!
There isnt much for kids in the castle itself...
But if its a nice day there are lots of nice walks around with great places to have a picnic on a rug.

donss
23-May-11, 09:45
That museum gives me the creeps... all those animal heads etc: no wonder there's little wildlife left in Africa; it's all in Dunrobin....

Interesting tho, and have to agree; the falconry display is just great!

Hoida
23-May-11, 10:19
Well worth a visit but not sure if your children are maybe a wee bit young. The walk in the woods sounds good. Also Timespan at Helmsdale is excellent and they used to have activities for children. Why not give them a ring.

Dadie
23-May-11, 14:42
Last time we went with a 5yo and he loved the falconry.
I went to some different displays when away on hols with the girls last year (they would have been 3-4ish and 2-3ish at the time) and they loved it.
Iona actually got to touch the birds.
We also went round a "historic house" and I hated it..because I was scared silly that one of them might touch something they shouldnt.
Can you just get tickets to the falconry and grounds?
And remember to take a picnic as I think it was quite expensive (as these sort of places are) and kids can eat loads on a day out!