PDA

View Full Version : The vampire strikes again in Wick- true story!

_Ju_
14-Sep-06, 13:24
The vampires ;) are visiting the assembley hall in Wick again, next Teusday, 19/09/06. Because blood stocks are very low I would suggest a generous donation between the hours of 14:00 to 16:00 and 17:00 to 20:00 next Teusday. Let's all save someones life this year !

_Ju_
14-Sep-06, 22:49
Just bumping this up.... I was wondering also if you all realized I am talking about donating blood to save lives;)

_Ju_
15-Sep-06, 08:50
just bumping up!

henry20
15-Sep-06, 09:35
I have had a blood transfusion in the past and I am under the impression that this means I am unable to donate blood - is this correct? Or did I invent this rule because I have a fear of needles? If I am able to donate blood, I may just close my eyes and get on with it - and return the favour.

The Angel Of Death
15-Sep-06, 10:17
I'm gutted always go to give but next week i am on my holls

Elenna
15-Sep-06, 11:07
I can't go myself, but Saltire is likely to drop by.

_Ju_
15-Sep-06, 13:00
I have had a blood transfusion in the past and I am under the impression that this means I am unable to donate blood - is this correct? Or did I invent this rule because I have a fear of needles? If I am able to donate blood, I may just close my eyes and get on with it - and return the favour.

You are right, Henry, you cannot donate (there might be a derrogation depending on when you had the tranfusion, however....)...... but the intention does count and you can always talk to your family to participate!

moncur
15-Sep-06, 13:19
If they're so desperate for blood why don't they just take a mop round all the wick pub floors after a saturday night every weekend? Im sure plenty of blood gets spilt on the dancefloor most weekends!

Seriously though, I hope plenty of folk turn out to donate

The Angel Of Death
15-Sep-06, 13:32

Not 100% correct as long as you have has the transfusion before 1980 cant mind the exact date you can still give but you got to tell them like i have to each time i give blood

henry20
15-Sep-06, 13:33
You are right, Henry, you cannot donate (there might be a derrogation depending on when you had the tranfusion, however....)...... but the intention does count and you can always talk to your family to participate!

I had a feeling this was the case as technically I have my blood and someone elses running through my body! It sounds very horrific, but I shall be eternally grateful to the person for donating the blood as I may not have seen the last 5 1/2 years if they hadn't.

To anyone considering giving blood that hasn't got round to doing it - please do, you never know - one day you may be unfortunate enough to need a blood transfusion yourself.

I must admit, I've never given blood, but by the time I was mature enough to realise its importance, I was unable to do it.

lauraspetportraits
15-Sep-06, 19:17
How very spooky, I was just going to start a thread asking about blood doning. Just looked on blood.co.uk for my nearest donation place to Wick for when we move up (next weekend oooh sooo excited) and it supplied me with somewhere 269 miles away!!
Obviously I won't be there next Tuesday but i will be there at subsequent sessions.

laura
--x--

evelyn
15-Sep-06, 21:03
Hi everyone

Just bumping this up. Open up and bleed as Iggy and the stooges say

_Ju_
16-Sep-06, 11:19
bumpity, bump, bump, bump....move out of the way, everyone!

Fran
17-Sep-06, 02:18
If you cant get to the next blood donor session in wick, you can always go to Raigmore at any time to give blood when you are shopping in inverness.
Also if you are having an operation and may need blood you can always donate your own blood for yourself some days beforehand.

Lucy
17-Sep-06, 08:35
I had a feeling this was the case as technically I have my blood and someone elses running through my body! It sounds very horrific, but I shall be eternally grateful to the person for donating the blood as I may not have seen the last 5 1/2 years if they hadn't.

To anyone considering giving blood that hasn't got round to doing it - please do, you never know - one day you may be unfortunate enough to need a blood transfusion yourself.

I must admit, I've never given blood, but by the time I was mature enough to realise its importance, I was unable to do it.

I'm in the same situation as you Henry. I had my transfusion in 1987 and gave blood for a few years b4 the new rules came out. i was gutted as it made me feel good to give something back. Now i just nag the rest of the family to go. The family now say they go just to get away from my nagging for a wee while and get a cuppa and biscuit into the bargain.

_Ju_
17-Sep-06, 22:05
Big BUMP! .

JAWS
18-Sep-06, 05:44
On one occassion some years ago when I was at work I went to donate blood. Being aware of my propensity for boredom, and to keep myself out of mischief, as I left work I grabbed a Reader's Digest.
As soon as I was settled on the bed at the Blood Transfusion Centre and was "tubed up", with my free hand and a little fiddling I managed to open-up the RD somewhere near the middle, turned the page to find the beginning of an article and started reading.

Big Mistake!!

The Article I had opened it up at was headed "Blood Transfusion for a Heart Transplant Patient". Needless to say, I didn't read any further!

It certainly didn't put me off Donating though because you never know, one day, just maybe, it might be me who is on the other end of the system and I would hate for somebody to have the job of telling my relatives, "We are terribly sorry, but we just didn't have any blood available!"

Think about it folks, it may never happen to you, but then again.....

Lucy
19-Sep-06, 13:20
Just bringing this to the top again to remind everyone where they should be tonight.