PDA

View Full Version : lpg gas costs

mey999
21-May-11, 20:11
Can anybody help me.I am trying to find out the general running costs of LPG gas. We have 9 rads plus hot water. Any one have the same type of heating? Any ideas?

tonkatojo
22-May-11, 12:11
Currently an arm and a leg, soon to be both legs.:(

But nowts cheep is there, the big energy suppliers are talking about 10-15-20% rises, it seems their odd billion or two or three pounds are not enough profit chuck in the green cost and who knows what the costs will be, head for the peat banks ?, but they say they are carbon sinks, we cannot win.:~(

david
22-May-11, 12:30
Can anybody help me.I am trying to find out the general running costs of LPG gas. We have 9 rads plus hot water. Any one have the same type of heating? Any ideas?

A litre of oil will give you about 10KW of heat. A litre of LPG around 7KW. Hope this is of help.

captain chaos
22-May-11, 12:43
These are typical costs to give you an idea

FuelPrice per unitkWh per unitpence per kWhWood chips (30% MC)£90 per tonne3,500 kWh/t2.6p/kWhWood pellets£185 per tonne4,800 kWh/t3.9p/kWhNatural gas4.1p/kWh14.1p/kWhHeating oil56p per litre10 kWh/ltr5.6p/kWhLPG (bulk)54p per litre6.6 kWh/ltr8.2p/kWhElectricity13.0p/kWh113.0p/kWh

Stefan
22-May-11, 19:43
If you keep your radiators running through winter and your hot water on all the time, you will go through something like 3-5 fills a year. A full tank (from totally empty) currently costs around 700 GBP.
It all highly depends on your insulation and usage pattern. Our house (rented) isn't well insulated and has drafty old windows. First year we used a full tank in 6 weeks. We then put hot water on timer, left immertion heater on all the time and heated the main rooms with electric. This winter it took 6 months before we needed a refill. Still, at these prices electric seems cheaper... so I turned the gas off !

John Little
22-May-11, 19:58
LPG costs far too much. We have it - but when we move I am determined to have a linked heating system with either gas or oil but linked to a multifuel stove. I reckon that will save a lot!

John Little
22-May-11, 20:18
http://www.dunsleyheat.co.uk/highland8CH.htm

The initial outlay for this is a lot but the savings I think would be enormous in the long run. Even Peat!!