PDA

View Full Version : what wid ye do??

trix
21-May-11, 18:06
ok, so heres a question for ye's....

so yer on a boat, a great beeg boat, up on 'e top deck, hevin a walk roond an' a fag or whativer. 'e waves are beeg an' its kwite stormy.

all o' a sudden, ivrything freezes.....except yersel!

'e people aroond ye hev frozen, 'e waves hev stop'd in mid air an 'e boat isna movin.

then 'iss manie comes over til ye an' says, "lets sit doon, am goin til gie ye two options til think aboot."

ye's go over til a bench an sit doon.

he continues, "so 'iss boat is goin til hit an iceberg in a whilie, hunders o' people are goin til be killed. there is one thing that ye can do til stop 'iss fie happenin....ye can jump overboard, commit suicide. 'e boat will hev til turn back an' noone will be any wiser aboot what wis aboot til happen.
if however ye dina jump, 'e boat will hit 'e iceberg an ye will be on 'e first rescue boat an' live in relativly guid health til yer in yer 90's."

so what wid ye do, i wonder?

Corrie 3
21-May-11, 18:32
Easy peasie,
Smack him in gob and throw him overboard, boat has to turn back to look for him and we live until the 90's.
Everyone is happy...yes?????

C3.....:cool::eek:;)

Blondie
21-May-11, 18:37
Have you been on the Vino Trix? :lol:

I wouldn't jump. Crikey what does that say about me I wonder? :roll:

trix
21-May-11, 19:08
Have you been on the Vino Trix? :lol:

i hevna bin on 'e vino yet but i wil be shortly ;)

i wid jump...an' i hev reasons.

i cana tell ye them ifanow as im getin cheinged (well, dressed as iv bin in ma beid all day) til go til a party.

i will get back til ye tho....

cherokee
21-May-11, 19:21
Afore yee get changed lassiegie, can ye no clear oot yur in-box - hid wid be a great help til all 'e foulkies wantin' til PM ee !!

Och, I also houp ee hev a good nicht oot !

trix
21-May-11, 19:26
can ye no clear oot yur in-box

done an' thanks cherokee :D x

'ats a right guid clear oot i choost hed.....oot wi' 'e auld :cool:

John Little
21-May-11, 19:31
I agree entirely with C3.

It's the best solution.

If he knows all that stuff and is deliberately going to allow it to happen then he deserves no more than a swift kick and tip him overboard.

Who does he think he is anyway?

david
21-May-11, 20:12
ok, so heres a question for ye's....

so yer on a boat, a great beeg boat, up on 'e top deck, hevin a walk roond an' a fag or whativer. 'e waves are beeg an' its kwite stormy.

all o' a sudden, ivrything freezes.....except yersel!

'e people aroond ye hev frozen, 'e waves hev stop'd in mid air an 'e boat isna movin.

then 'iss manie comes over til ye an' says, "lets sit doon, am goin til gie ye two options til think aboot."

ye's go over til a bench an sit doon.

he continues, "so 'iss boat is goin til hit an iceberg in a whilie, hunders o' people are goin til be killed. there is one thing that ye can do til stop 'iss fie happenin....ye can jump overboard, commit suicide. 'e boat will hev til turn back an' noone will be any wiser aboot what wis aboot til happen.
if however ye dina jump, 'e boat will hit 'e iceberg an ye will be on 'e first rescue boat an' live in relativly guid health til yer in yer 90's."

so what wid ye do, i wonder?

Write a book about your experience in English.

Tilly Teckel
21-May-11, 20:15
I'd jump. No doubt about it.

cherokee
21-May-11, 20:23

Wur Trix does speak English actually (she is just observing the "Caithness Accent" ) !! Why do you feel you have to "get" at her accent(:confused).....most people on here really enjoy her "blethers" and also are encouraging her to write a book.....? IMHO - she's an intelligent person, and no, I do not know her, nor have ever met her !

trix
21-May-11, 20:23

whats 'ats supposed til mean??

trix
21-May-11, 20:30
Wur Trix does speak English actually (she is just observing the "Caithness Accent" ) !! Why do you feel you have to "get" at her accent(:confused).....most people on here really enjoy her "blethers" and also are encouraging her to write a book.....? IMHO - she's an intelligent person, and no, I do not know her, nor have ever met her !

thanks cherokee :D

i da even ken fit his comment means...speak up david.....hev ye got a problem??

shazzap
21-May-11, 21:23
Easy peasie,
Smack him in gob and throw him overboard, boat has to turn back to look for him and we live until the 90's.
Everyone is happy...yes?????

C3.....;)

With you on this one C3.

I find it difficult to understand Trix. :confused BUT. look on it as a way to keep my brain ticking over. Think of it as another option to a DS Brain Trainer. [lol]

david
21-May-11, 22:30

If Trix speaks English, I presume Trix can write in English. I find it annoying to have to spend time reading dialects when we already have a language most of us are happy and able to communicate with.

John Little
21-May-11, 22:33
Is somebody forcing you to read Trix's posts?

david
21-May-11, 22:44
Is somebody forcing you to read Trix's posts?

Thankfully not.

John Little
21-May-11, 23:27
Then I suggest that you do not read them, thus avoiding any distress to yourself and obviating the need for comment entirely.

miranda
21-May-11, 23:43
Trix you go ahead and write your book , i work wi ye every day and know every word your saying , but mind if you write a book about you and your life , dont include that certain pleb you had in your life for that for short while , only include your friends and travels xx

miranda
22-May-11, 00:01
If Trix speaks English, I presume Trix can write in English. I find it annoying to have to spend time reading dialects when we already have a language most of us are happy and able to communicate with.

i speak english !!!!!
am no fae caithness and i can understand ye just fine , and find reading your posts interesting and funny :) for those whom find it annoyng i say partake in another forum as the language on the caithness .org is predominantly(sp) caithness!!!!!

Kells
22-May-11, 00:03
Its his problem not yours. lol Keep up the good work I love reading your posts but will you please use some of the words that only exist in caithness some great words up here and I am trying hard to learn them. like peepin............:D

Dadie
22-May-11, 00:06
Peeping..as in crying?
I would throw the questioner overboard and keep an eye on the horizon for myself for the whole trip..or get off at the next port.....

pmcd
22-May-11, 01:34
"If Trix speaks English, I presume Trix can write in English. I find it annoying to have to spend time reading dialects when we already have a language most of us are happy and able to communicate with."

A person who is moved to make a remark such as the one above is not likely to make a decent companion on a desert island, a good pub, or anywhere other than the "Mr. Pooter Home For Joyless Pedants".

A person reading the remark he made about our Trix is in danger of receiving a vernacular suggestion implying either sex and travel, or of putting his head in the proximity of a seething saucepan.....

Still, one derives a crumb of comfort from the fact that people with attitudes demonstrated by the quotation above tend to carry their own prisons around with them.

For life.

John Little
22-May-11, 07:26
Having given the matter a nanosecond's consideration, and having come to the conclusion that the complainant has not a moment's purchase upon comprehension of Scots in the vernacular, I wish to associate myself entirely with the remarks so eloquently set out above by my friend with the wee horns.

dodo
22-May-11, 09:59
trix keep it going love your posts XX

Kells
22-May-11, 10:50
Peeping..as in crying?
I would throw the questioner overboard and keep an eye on the horizon for myself for the whole trip..or get off at the next port.....

Thanks Dadie thats me got another word now

John Little
22-May-11, 16:21
Ayrshire dialect;

Wee, sleekit, cowrin, tim'rous beastie,
O, what a panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty
Wi bickering brattle!
I wad be laith to rin an' chase thee,
Wi' murdering pattle.

Yorkshire dialect;

Ah wish that tha'd tak gorm ah me
instee-ad ah you Margit Ann.
tha knows that ahm nat mayad ah brass
But ah buy thee all ah can

Ah went an bowt a coyt for thee
cos tha complained at t'cowd,
Ah bowt it for thi birthday
when tha wer twentyfive years owd

Caithness Dialect (Acknowledgements to Jenny Stewart)

Fan wur good hooses first wiz beelt we's nixt till park an fairm,
An ten months o e year or so id caused is no real hairm,
Boot harvest time wiz nivvur fine e season o e moose,
An ivry year a beastie called till squat in wur fine hoose.

English?

O truant Muse what shall be thy amends,
For thy neglect of truth in beauty dyed?
Both truth and beauty on my love depends:
So dost thou too, and therein dignified:
Make answer Muse, wilt thou not haply say,
'Truth needs no colour with his colour fixed,
Beauty no pencil, beauty's truth to lay:
But best is best, if never intermixed'?
Because he needs no praise, wilt thou be dumb?
Excuse not silence so, for't lies in thee,
To make him much outlive a gilded tomb:
And to be praised of ages yet to be.
Then do thy office Muse, I teach thee how,
To make him seem long hence, as he shows now.

oldmarine
22-May-11, 16:31
Then I suggest that you do not read them, thus avoiding any distress to yourself and obviating the need for comment entirely.

John, I would agree with you except I believe some of the Orgers are trying to attract attention. They get it with the comments they make.

John Little
22-May-11, 16:39
John, I would agree with you except I believe some of the Orgers are trying to attract attention. They get it with the comments they make.

That is undoubtedly true. However, to place the 'English' language into a strait jacket of definition is to close a sluice gate to its rawness and creativity. Trix is not speaking English anyway - she is speaking Scots and a dialect of it which she does remarkably well.

This is English too;

he was
oald as the fells
street as an arske’s arse
sharp as whins
whick as a lop
wild as winter thunner
nice as an otter

and his throat war middlen slippy
and he is deed as a steann

but not gone
but not gone

Can you read it?

Is it wrong?

Should it be censored? Or censured?

golach
22-May-11, 16:48
. Trix is not speaking English anyway - she is speaking Scots and a dialect of it which she does remarkably well.
John, sorry trix is not speaking Scots, she is writting Wick patois, clever as it is, I much prefer Castlegreens dialect his poetry is much more the general Kaitness tongue

John Little
22-May-11, 16:50
But a patois of what?

golach
22-May-11, 17:10
But a patois of what?

Week speak of course John

John Little
22-May-11, 17:11
Lol - it's a patois of Scots and you ken it weel.

Though you do take this down a good line. You minded me of John Horne - I liked this;

And should they ask your parentage,
Your name, your business, hours and wage,
And what you've saved and what's your age,
You may be sure it's Caithness!

Love it!

shazzap
22-May-11, 17:20
John Little. I am from Yorkshire, and i speak nothing like that. :eek: Your lumping all of Yorkshire together. :roll: :lol:

John Little
22-May-11, 17:25
John Little. I am from Yorkshire, and i speak nothing like that. :eek: Your lumping all of Yorkshire together. :roll: :lol:

Aye - tha's in't reet o't.

T'ist West Ridin.

shazzap
22-May-11, 17:31
Aye - tha's in't reet o't.

T'ist West Ridin.

Say again???????? :eek: ;)

regalkings
22-May-11, 17:35
sit on but and wait for iceberg to hit anything is better than killing myself no chance.

bcsman
22-May-11, 19:10
well david,what are you complaining about then,if you dont like the caithness lingo what are doin surfing the caithness website?

Thankfully not.

pmcd
22-May-11, 19:16
Dunno why - I just thought "Patois de foi grace" - "dialect of faith and beauty"? Well, sort of. Works for me.

david
22-May-11, 19:18
[QUOTE=bcsman;852820]well david,what are you complaining about then,if you dont like the caithness lingo what are doin surfing the caithness website?[/QUO

And why do you not ask this question in Caithness dialect? Its not about liking or disliking the dialect. There's a time and place for everything. I did not realise you had to like the Caithness lingo to surf this site. My apologies to the moderators.

pmcd
22-May-11, 19:21
David - a word to the wise - when you're in a hole, stop digging!

trix
22-May-11, 19:26
jee...i forgot what a stir i can cause sometimes...

but ye ken fit they say, "its tough at 'e top" :Razz

so, anyway.....corrie! ye cana smack 'e manie, cos he's lek...god or whativer! an if ye did ye might wid be frozen in time for eternity....!

'e first thing i wanted til know wis, wid i be able til get a message til ma dad so that he kent that i didna kill masel voluntarily, cause he widna be able til get his heid roond 'at.

'e answer wis no, no messages.

i first thot, no i widna jump, cos it wid ruin ma faimlys life.....but then i thot, 'had on a menid, 'iss is god thats propositionin me here'!! :eek:
god lives, which probly means that il see ma mam an' dad again sometime...on 'e ither side. then i can explain an they'l understand an we can all live happily ever after....an il be lek a hero that let all 'e bairnys live :cool:

its also a first class ticket intil heaven......

david
22-May-11, 19:27
David - a word to the wise - when you're in a hole, stop digging!

So no Caithness lingo in this post either then. Presumably your trying to communicate with the masses then. Well done.

pmcd
22-May-11, 19:30
"Persumably" I am communicating. Thank you for recognising that . It is most civil of you, old bean!

david
22-May-11, 19:46
"Persumably" I am communicating. Thank you for recognising that . It is most civil of you, old bean!

Like me you have spelt that wrong. You can correct it as I have done, but maybe you could call it a dialect too.

david
22-May-11, 19:49
jee...i forgot what a stir i can cause sometimes...

but ye ken fit they say, "its tough at 'e top" :Razz

so, anyway.....corrie! ye cana smack 'e manie, cos he's lek...god or whativer! an if ye did ye might wid be frozen in time for eternity....!

'e first thing i wanted til know wis, wid i be able til get a message til ma dad so that he kent that i didna kill masel voluntarily, cause he widna be able til get his heid roond 'at.

'e answer wis no, no messages.

i first thot, no i widna jump, cos it wid ruin ma faimlys life.....but then i thot, 'had on a menid, 'iss is god thats propositionin me here'!! :eek:
god lives, which probly means that il see ma mam an' dad again sometime...on 'e ither side. then i can explain an they'l understand an we can all live happily ever after....an il be lek a hero that let all 'e bairnys live :cool:

its also a first class ticket intil heaven......

Any spelling mistakes in this pmcd?

pmcd
22-May-11, 19:53
"wrongly". I thought you wanted to use REAL English, not just some ungrammatical and misspelt confection of your own. Please stop digging, old fruit!

david
22-May-11, 20:01
"wrongly". I thought you wanted to use REAL English, not just some ungrammatical and misspelt confection of your own. Please stop digging, old fruit!

Old bean, old fruit? "ungrammatical and misspelt confection of your own"?? Digging what exactly? Tatties? Ooops potatoes.

Corrie 3
22-May-11, 20:03
Well Trix, God or no God he would still get a smack in the gob, being frozen for ever in time is no worse than living in Caithness....... and if I go to Hell it would be a damn site warmer than Caithness!!!!
Much better the ship turns around and looks for him rather than you or me!!!!

C3.......;):roll::lol:

John Little
22-May-11, 20:07
So no Caithness lingo in this post either then. Presumably your trying to communicate with the masses then. Well done.

For someone who does not know the difference between your and you're, you are'nt half saying a lot about proper use of English.

What I could not understand at first was why you felt that you had to comment on Trix's posts. You did not like them but no-one forced you to read them. You have obviously no time for dialect and take a rather tight view of what constitutes 'English'.

So, taking into consideration that there is no coercion involved, I have to speculate that you are trolling for reactions.

And if I am right then the watchword here should be "Ne pas nourrir le troll"

david
22-May-11, 20:17
For someone who does not know the difference between your and you're, you are'nt half saying a lot about proper use of English.

What I could not understand at first was why you felt that you had to comment on Trix's posts. You did not like them but no-one forced you to read them. You have obviously no time for dialect and take a rather tight view of what constitutes 'English'.

So, taking into consideration that there is no coercion involved, I have to speculate that you are trolling for reactions.

And if I am right then the watchword here should be "Ne pas nourrir le troll"

Don't you mean "aren't"? Don't worry I understood you okay as I am sure you did me. Maybe you simply don't know the difference.

trix
22-May-11, 20:18
you are trolling.

yer startin til get on ma boobs a bity, david.

shazzap
22-May-11, 20:19

Trix, treat with the contempt deserved. Mwahahaha at it. Also i hope your boobs arn't that big. or you will have back trouble, later on in life.

david

You don't have to read my posts as has already been pointed out.

John Little
Don't you mean "aren't"? Don't worry I understood you okay as I am sure you did me. Maybe you simply don't know the difference.

It ain't me that's sitting on the wall instructing people in the correct use of language.

John Little
22-May-11, 20:20
You don't have to read my posts as has already been pointed out.

Whose thread is this?

golach
22-May-11, 20:22
Look oot David my mannie, ye will be gettan them bad rep thingies, I ken, then strange pm's, been there got the scars

trix
22-May-11, 20:24
Whose thread is this?

yeah...thanks john!

'iss is ma thried david....god i hate 'at name david.

reminds me o' some crazy dude that i used til know.......he wis a d1ck an'all [evil]

Corrie 3
22-May-11, 20:28
He would be getting on my boobs as well Trix..........if I had any!!!
I would like to ask David why he is trying to spoil Trix's thread, what pleasure do you get from it David?????

C3....[disgust][disgust]

shazzap
22-May-11, 20:29
yeah...thanks john!

'iss is ma thried david....god i hate 'at name david.

reminds me o' some crazy dude that i used til know.......he wis a d1ck an'all [evil]

Triiiiiiiiiixxxxxxx. My OH is called David. :lol:

pmcd
22-May-11, 20:29
Nice one, Trix!

david
22-May-11, 20:33
It ain't me that's sitting on the wall instructing people in the correct use of language.

Your quite fond of pointing out simple spelllying mistooks out thuogh.

trix
22-May-11, 20:38
then strange pm's

ye tryin til be funny, golach.....fit ye sayin?

....i mite o' sent ye a twa strange pms golly, but i wis hevin an emotional crisis 'at 'e time an' am sorry...an' i niver bad rept ye, iver....i love ye min x x

....................................i bet yer no even speakin aboot me ifanow [para]

John Little
22-May-11, 20:39
Yep no doubt. You are a language troll.

You kicked this off- no-one else.

I have spelling mistakes in my eye - as do most here. I do not claim to be any authority on the use of English - or Scots - or dialect.

But your propensity to point out that which you find objectionable or erroneous indicates that you are either a pedant or a troll.

I incline to charity so I think you a troll.

I stop feeding you - now. That means I do not respond to anything you put on this forum.

Bye -bye.

bcsman
22-May-11, 20:44
oh michty me david,ye seem lek an awful crabid mannie til me,ar ye choost here til look for an arguement ?

[QUOTE=bcsman;852820]well david,what are you complaining about then,if you dont like the caithness lingo what are doin surfing the caithness website?[/QUO

And why do you not ask this question in Caithness dialect? Its not about liking or disliking the dialect. There's a time and place for everything. I did not realise you had to like the Caithness lingo to surf this site. My apologies to the moderators.

david
22-May-11, 20:51
Yep no doubt. You are a language troll.

You kicked this off- no-one else.

I have spelling mistakes in my eye - as do most here. I do not claim to be any authority on the use of English - or Scots - or dialect.

But your propensity to point out that which you find objectionable or erroneous indicates that you are either a pedant or a troll.

I incline to charity so I think you a troll.

I stop feeding you - now. That means I do not respond to anything you put on this forum.

Bye -bye.

Cheers and thankgod

david
22-May-11, 20:56
oh michty me david,ye seem lek an awful crabid mannie til me,ar ye choost here til look for an arguement ?
[QUOTE=david;852827]

Well no bcsman, just think any dialect takes a time to read. I can understand both the written and spoken Caithness dialect but find the spoken a lot easier on the brain.

Corrie 3
22-May-11, 21:06
Cheers and thankgod
Well....thats killed off yet another good thread, well done David!!!!!!!!!!!
btw, thankgod is two words and god starts with a capital G!!!
Sick, sick, sick...some people are just sick when it comes to wrecking good threads!!!!!

C3........[disgust]:([disgust]

david
22-May-11, 21:24
Well....thats killed off yet another good thread, well done David!!!!!!!!!!!
btw, thankgod is two words and god starts with a capital G!!!
Sick, sick, sick...some people are just sick when it comes to wrecking good threads!!!!!

C3........[disgust]:([disgust]

By the way "thats" should have an apostrophe after the last "t" That's if you are being pedant.

Corrie 3
22-May-11, 21:31
By the way "thats" should have an apostrophe after the last "t" That's if you are being pedant.
Goodnight David, sleep well!!!!

C3......:roll:[disgust]

david
22-May-11, 21:41
Goodnight David, sleep well!!!!

C3......:roll:[disgust]

Thanks, will do. Have a nice "kip" yourself.

bekisman
22-May-11, 21:56
Just read through 60 odd postings, I know that some treads go off track - this must be a perfect example!. But answer: throw the git overboard (and who do I mean there?)

shazzap
22-May-11, 22:03
Just read through 60 odd postings, I know that some treads go off track - this must be a perfect example!. But answer: throw the git overboard (and who do I mean there?)

Twist in the tale.

gingernut
22-May-11, 22:40
Eeeeeee by gum some folk are right twerps!!