PDA

View Full Version : Orca

Kenn
26-Oct-04, 17:41
Noticed a reference from "naefearjustbeer" on the seals on Thurso theme.

Can any one tell me at what time of year Orcas are around and where is the best point to possibly get a siting?

Naefearjustbeer
26-Oct-04, 20:21
Not an expert on Orcas but I can remember seeing photos in the local paper and mention on this site about several different sightings this past year. Maybe the local countryside rangers could give more Info. But as with all things natural they probally wont show up when you go out looking for them but pop up at different times of the year at random intervals

htwood
27-Oct-04, 00:23
see http://www.caithness.org/nature/whalesurvey/surveyresults.htm :cool:

Seabird
27-Oct-04, 18:56
Best time is July to Octobe. the sea needs to be quite calm unless they come in very close.
The Headland at Thurso is good,Duncansby Head, Whaligoe steps had 12 just 3 Sundays ago, Lybster had a right assortment of Cetaceans last weekend, Minke Whale, whitesided Dolphins a single Orca,Porpoise and a Risso`s Dolphin as well as Bottlenose Dolphins.Gills Bay had Porpoise for most of thr summer.Orcas find them and seals tasty
Pick a place where you are high and over looking a wide area. x10 or x12 binoculars and a lot of patients and luck.
Log onto Seawatch Foundation they give the latest sightings, and they do need more observers.

Kenn
27-Oct-04, 22:15
Thank you all for the information was lucky enough to see the porpoises last time up, the ranger station at Dunnet I find is often closed but they are extremely helpful and have pointed me in the right direction on more than one occasion. Please keep the info coming the more I have the better I can plan my wild life watching.