PDA

View Full Version : I Need Help !!!

cherokee
20-May-11, 19:48
OK...here's what my problem is...

I (yes I know it was stupid ; :eek:) removed my wedding ring, to try on an old ring of my Mum's to see how it would match. So I put my Mum's ring on first then replaced my wedding ring on top.

Now I cannot get my wedding ring off, to remove my Mum's ring (which doesn't suit my hand at all) !!!!!!

So far I've tried soap, margarine and keeping my hand in iced water (to contract the blood vessels)

I'm getting kinda desperate now.....:(:(

Has anyone got any ideas, please ?......the last thing I want is for either ring to have to be cut !!

John Little
20-May-11, 19:57
Trouble is that iced water contracts everything. Try soaking in warm water and cooking oil then pulling off - should soften the flesh too and make it more pliable and expanding the metal to some miniscule degree.

Rheghead
20-May-11, 20:02
Slip the end of a length of thin string or cotton under the ring, about 18" should do. Then wind the string around the finger knuckle fairly tightly so to compress the skin. Then unwind the string from the hand side of the ring towards the finger tip and the ring should wind off.

cherokee
20-May-11, 20:17
Thank you both so very much for your kind suggestions.

I've tried both ideas, but I think my poor finger is so traumatised by my earlier pulling and tugging that it's too swollen now !! :eek:

I still have circulation in my finger, for which I'm thankful for, though !!!

I'll definetely try both your ideas again tomorrow morning and hope they work; otherwise............................. :( :(

I'll let you know how I get on, thanks again, much appreciated

Kells
20-May-11, 20:18
If you have tried the above and it has not worked fill a basin with hot water and some bath oil, not boiling water and sit with your hand in it for about half an hour, top up the water to keep it nice and warm but not burning hot. Then ease the ring down keeping your hand in the water and if it only goes a little way keep your hand in the water and try again in a little while. It will come off eventually, remember it went on and can come off, just be patient and dont panic. Good luck.

cherokee
20-May-11, 20:20
Thank you Kells for your kind idea and comfort.....I am starting to panic now a wee bit !!!! :(

I will definetley try your idea along with the other two, in the morning; my poor finger has taken a real battering this afternoon and now even the skin is becoming sore ! :(

Dadie
20-May-11, 20:24
Dont stress out or try to keep going and let your poor finger rest tonight!
trying too hard will make it worse now as your finger will swell even more.
Do try winding the thread over your knuckle and take it easy.
Oh and try to get your wedding ring off so you only have one ring to deal with tommorrow!

cherokee
20-May-11, 20:40
Once again my sincere thanks to everyone; also a big thanks to those who have PM'd me !!! :)

I am actually starting to get a wee bit worried now.........although I can still twist the ring around my finger; above it just below the knuckle looks very red and swollen. :cry:

I'm on my own just now, as my husband works away, so it's even more scary, not having any reassurance. I do have vey kind neighbours though (and also very good friends - a couple of them on here) so maybe I'll have to tap on someone to get advice !!

I'll let you all know the outcome...................

Walter Ego
20-May-11, 21:29
The more you drag the ring around, the more your finger will swell. Best to leave it until the morning.

111heather
20-May-11, 22:54
let your finger rest then use baby oil but not first thing in the mornen as your fingers might be slitely swolen when you first get up

gollach
20-May-11, 22:58
Tomorrow morning, get ice cubes in a tea towel and put it on the end of the finger, not the ring, to help bring any swelling down and make it easier to get the ring off.

Torvaig
20-May-11, 23:46
Try and keep your hand elevated, fingers pointing upwards to drain surplus fluid away and don't even try taking the rings of until all swelling is down. Use a cushion or pillow to prop it up during the night. Keep your room temperatures down and if it is still swollen in the morning best go to A & E.

cherokee
21-May-11, 00:06
I am overwhelmed by all the thoughtful posts and PM's that I have received.....all I can say is a massive thank you to you all! :D

I am just back from hospital and had the company of my kind neighbour, she too was lovely towards me.

Basically the nurse tried anasthetic gel, running my hand under the cold water tap and a lot of twisting and turning......but no joy !! :(

She said because she could still twist the ring on my finger and that the circulation above my knuckle is fine, that it is safe to leave it on until the morning.

Tomorrow morning, she suggested trying all the tips I've been given on here, and it should come off !! If not, then I'm to go back and they'll just have to cut off my wedding ring........:(

I'll let all know what the outcome is.....

Dadie
21-May-11, 00:11
Dont stress..I have narrow fingers and bigger knuckles and fighting with rings makes the problen 10x worse..
Tie yer hand to the bedpost if need be but keep it elavated...as long as you can twirl the rings you have breathing room to get them off.
If it takes all weekend so be it.
Just dont try on really small expensive rings in shops ......

secrets in symmetry
21-May-11, 00:13
Slip the end of a length of thin string or cotton under the ring, about 18" should do. Then wind the string around the finger knuckle fairly tightly so to compress the skin. Then unwind the string from the hand side of the ring towards the finger tip and the ring should wind off.Now that is clever. A bit of K-Y Jelly on your finger and on the cotton might help, as would heating up the ring without heating your finger.

cherokee
21-May-11, 15:10
YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS !!!! :D:D

Went into Cameo Jewellers in Wick today and the guy cut my wedding ring and removed it in 2 minutes ! The other ring my Mum's then slid off easily, so it didn't need to be cut. He also said my wedding ring will be easily fixed, but I must let the swelling around my finger subside first. ;)

Thank you all once again for your ideas, kind support and best wishes, it was very much appreciated !

Doreen
21-May-11, 17:07

Went into Cameo Jewellers in Wick today and the guy cut my wedding ring and removed it in 2 minutes ! The other ring my Mum's then slid off easily, so it didn't need to be cut. He also said my wedding ring will be easily fixed, but I must let the swelling around my finger subside first. ;)

Thank you all once again for your ideas, kind support and best wishes, it was very much appreciated !Aw Cheereoke im glad your sorted .

cherokee
21-May-11, 17:27
Thank you Doreen...........for everything ! XX

trix
21-May-11, 17:55
aw, i wis howpin that ye widna hev til get yer weddin' ring cut off...but am gled that it can be fixed :)

Doreen
21-May-11, 18:00
Thank you Doreen...........for everything ! XX
Could not be of much help being in Thurso but your so welcome xx

oldmarine
22-May-11, 17:05

Thank you all once again for your ideas, kind support and best wishes, it was very much appreciated !

Cherokee: Looks like you found a good solution to your problem. I am certain it must have been quite stressful for you. I am happy you found a workable solution.

Tilly Teckel
22-May-11, 22:44
Phew! I felt stressed just reading your posts! Poor you, but at least it's done now. Must be such a relief?!