PDA

View Full Version : Grocery delivery in the Forsinard area

angiemh
20-May-11, 18:32
Hi,

I am looking to move to the Forsinard area in Sutherland and one of the questions the family are asking is are there any grocery delivery services that service the area? I've tried tescos but it seems that's a no go. How do locals cope when the snow hits in winter and driving to Thurso or Wick would be a no go? I've had a good hunt online for local shops but the area does seem a bit remote!

Any advice or help would be much appreciated. :)

Angie :)

gleeber
20-May-11, 18:50
Aye, it's pretty remote. It's unusual for the roads to be closed for more than a day though. Lovely area. Plenty midgies. Train passes 4 times a day too.

Kenn
Well before winter hits in, make sure the store cupboard is well stocked, the deap freeze full, you have bread flour to hand and either tinned or dried milk, have the peats and the log pile stacked.
Bring sledges,skis,weather proof boots and water/wind proof clothing and you should survive any thing that the weather throws at you!
Think ahead.
Oh and if you plan on being there in the summer months...make sure you have tight fitting clothes and a stache of anti-histamine.....the midges would worry me more than any snow or ice!

Good luck if you decide to move there, it's a beautiful area and on a more serious note, we moved up a couple of years back and have no regrets what so ever.

Corrie 3
Get yourself a good 4x4 Angie...no problems getting to Wick or Thurso then!!
Good luck with the move!

C3......;):)

NickInTheNorth
20-May-11, 18:54
Hi Angie

Please do not be offended, but it is time for a reality check here.

Yes, Forsinard is quite remote. No there are not many shops in the area. Be prepared really is the watch word. You need to think about if you are really ready to live there if you cannot work out how to manage without shopping delivery services.

Buy a freezer, keep plenty of food in the house...

Fantastic place to live, but only if it suits you. are you sure this is for you?

angiemh
21-May-11, 10:26
Wow- didn't expect so many replies so fast!:lol:

Thank you everyone for the advice. Looks like I may have to swap my humble peugeot 106 for a beefy 4x4 :lol:

I have been thinking about the whole stockpiling idea so that's not really much of a surprise. What I didn't know about was the midges. That is something to consider further :eek:

Bill Fernie
22-May-11, 00:18
Another thing to be aware of in the Highlands is Tics. There has been a big increase in their number in recent years and its wise not to get bitten due to the disease that some of them carry. This is not scare mongering its about protecting yourselves and any animals such as dogs or cats you may have. Just google tics and lime disease for more information. Tics tend to be in areas where sheep or deer live so Forsinard is likely to be a tic area. Means that when out you need to keep your legs covered in grassy areas when walking the hills etc. Also check all children after outings for any signs of tics.

Aaldtimer
22-May-11, 03:23
Another thing to be aware of in the Highlands is Tics. There has been a big increase in their number in recent years and its wise not to get bitten due to the disease that some of them carry. This is not scare mongering its about protecting yourselves and any animals such as dogs or cats you may have. Just google tics and lime disease for more information. Tics tend to be in areas where sheep or deer live so Forsinard is likely to be a tic area. Means that when out you need to keep your legs covered in grassy areas when walking the hills etc. Also check all children after outings for any signs of tics.

Tics ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/physical_health/conditions/tics1.shtml

are relatively harmless, but Ticks are what Bill is warning you against!...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tick :eek:

annmarie
22-May-11, 07:46
the winter is not a prob up there the griter is up every day about 7 i know lived there for 25 years

angiemh
22-May-11, 14:06
Hmmm so no food delivery but plenty midges and tics? If only they were edible!! :D

Seriously though I wanted to thank everyone for giving us more info. Pretty sure now this will not be the move for us. :(