PDA

View Full Version : New Housing development in Thurso

mickey101
13-Sep-06, 23:18
Hi Folks
I am sorry I have been refraining all evening from starting this thread but I am afraid I can't control my urges anymore.

I read the article on the front of the local paper today regarding the new housing development in Thurso. I even wasn't surprised it went through given the usual duplicitous behaviour of our local "worthies". But would someone please answer me one question, with the mass exodus out of Dounreay and the place facing a major downturn on or about 2012 ( sooner if UKAEA loses the site license) why in the name of the creator do we need 750 new houses?

Who the H**L is going to live in them??

M

ps funny how they happily bend the rules for one devleopment but not for another. I hope they remember this day when ASDA comes up in Inverness. Somehow I doubt it.

Fran
13-Sep-06, 23:23
theres just as many houses being built up by Wick cemetry.

Scunner
13-Sep-06, 23:59
have to agree with you, new houses everywhere, yet the warning today of people taking on big morgages and not being able to pay them.

Big houses, and gas guzzlers in the garage, where does in all stop.

Mr P Cannop
14-Sep-06, 06:47
There is something big comming to caithness but but not sure what it is ??

frogface
14-Sep-06, 07:56
I thought it was 97 odd houses :confused ??

phoenix
14-Sep-06, 08:53
Have you not heard that in the future parts of England are going to be flooded and the government have drawn up plans to rehouse as many as possible in Scotland when this happens! :Razz

bigjjuk
14-Sep-06, 09:21
well there is nowwhere near that number being built at the cemetery, its not even in triple figures, so a slight miscalculation there fran:)

concerned resident
14-Sep-06, 09:25
This was to be expected of our local Councillor's they do not care what a petition from residents says, and the planning office want as many houses as possible as this keeps them employed, and it is like printing money for the Councill, have you seen the prices they charge? Friday 15th they have a hearing in Wick for Planning Ref: 05/00573/OUTCA Proposed formation of Master Plan for Housing Development, Business Park, Community Uses, Open Space and Roads Infrasttucture at Pennyland Farm, Thurso. Local info gives the impression that there are quite a few Caithness firms having money problems, so i would like to look to the bright side, but as yet i can not see any sign. Everybody has there own agender, but none appear to be for what is in the best interests, for the future of Caithness. We could end up a ghost town with lots of empty houses for the young ones to roam through, or the government might buy them, to relocate and house ex prisioners and sex offenders and people with ASBO's.

j4bberw0ck
14-Sep-06, 10:13
Big houses, and gas guzzlers in the garage, where does in all stop.

Bet you're glad it didn't stop in the sixteenth century ;) .

Just before anyone jumps down my throat for commenting on a Thurso development, I'll point out that Scunner's question is phrased generally and the same question is asked here and everywhere else. And the answer's the same every time. :lol: So, easy with that PM and / or "enter" key, please!

crayola
14-Sep-06, 10:31
It sounds like a nice place to have a new house. Good views?

I liked the bit about Donnie Mackay supporting 4/5 of the proposal. What was so bad about the other fifth? Does it back onto other houses or what? I don't know that bit of town very well.

Scunner
14-Sep-06, 10:42
[quote=j4bberw0ck;134160]Bet you're glad it didn't stop in the sixteenth century ;) .

Quite glad, but there were no morgages then. Maybe I'm of the old school, only buy what you can afford, and try and have a penny for a rainy day. Its rainy today, hope I have that penny!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I said in another post. HP was sauce before the good days of Dounreay and the influx of 'Atomics'

Countryman
14-Sep-06, 12:52
New Housing yes - Lets hope some of it is affordable housing, how can young people compete with people coming from the south.
The council seem to have nothing available for single people or young couples
unless the are unemployed and on DSS rates.
Donnie Mackay what is your answer to our young people,

crashbandicoot1979
14-Sep-06, 13:07
This just highlights how flawed the Planning department is. How can they even consider new housing on such a scale in a town that simply CANNOT cope with it? At present Thurso does not have the facilities to cope with 750+ new houses and until this is rectified there is no way that such a project should even be considered.

BMcGillivray
14-Sep-06, 14:36
Bring on the housing i say... people need to stop whining, if its not housing developments, its wind farms, if its not wind farms, its supermarkets.... it sometimes seems to me that people are just bored and will complain about anything... they could plant a money-dispensing tree to provide free cash for everyone... and some little group of busy-bodies will start complaining about it disrupting their view.

Aslong as the houses are affordable, its a win-win situation... if they build the houses and nobody wants them... then they lose a lot of money... so they obviously wouldn't be wanting to build them unless they stood to make a profit from them... and to those complaining that there is nobody to buy the homes... young people are moving out of their parents houses looking for somewhere of their own all the time... then theres people coming up from the south for the quiet life.

henry20
14-Sep-06, 14:45
Aslong as the houses are affordable, its a win-win situation...

I think you'll find that a property developer and a young couple starting out have very different views of what is classed as 'affordable'.

I'm just glad I bought a house when I did - they would laugh me out of the bank if I asked for a mortgage to cover a house at todays prices! EIther that or give me a mortgage I could barely afford!

concerned resident
14-Sep-06, 16:30
Country Man.
Have you not heard the council are trying to dump the council houses, on to a housing Association, so no council houses very shortly.

B.McGillivay
You obviously, by what you say, do not care what happens in the county of Caithness (are you a Councillor ?) and people moving up from the south, with there money, do not want to move onto a housing estate in Thurso

BMcGillivray
15-Sep-06, 13:18
B.McGillivay
You obviously, by what you say, do not care what happens in the county of Caithness (are you a Councillor ?) and people moving up from the south, with there money, do not want to move onto a housing estate in Thurso

No, im not a Councillor :), and yes, of course i care about Caithness.

I see complaining about new housing as pointless, as increased growth of towns by increasing the number of houses available, therefore allowing a larger population is beneficial to the area. If the price is too high, they wont be successfull, and will either be reduced in price, or end up being sold to the Council or somesuch, so the community wins in the long run.

The more houses and people, the larger the town, will make it more enticing for more businesses to setup here, which again, benefits the community.

Yes, i know i simplify things, but thats how i see things, people overcomplicate matters by picking at unimportant details.

Everytime i look in the paper/here/news/etc about people complaining about some new development, saying it'd ruin their view, disrupt the community, cause traffic problems and congestion in the area, bring vandalism and low brow hooligans to their peaceful little area... my blood boils...

Standing in the way of positive progress over petty little hang-ups that have very little basis in reality, exaggerations and wild panic, and any issues that do arrive with any developments, can be resolved.

Everyone needs to be more understanding, need to have a little more wisdom and calm in their lives.