PDA

View Full Version : Business License?

cherokee
20-May-11, 17:20
I'm posting this on behalf of a friend.

Where do you go to get a business license if you're starting up on your own and working from home?

ducati
20-May-11, 17:26
You just need to register with http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/basics.htm

cherokee
20-May-11, 17:29
Thank you very much ducati, I'll pass this info on to my friend.

NickInTheNorth
20-May-11, 17:45
depends omn what business, for some a licence is required from the Highland Council too

northener
21-May-11, 07:32
Cherokee, if yi give us an idea on what business your friend is thinking of setting up (no need to be too specific), then we'll be able to give more guidance.

ducati
21-May-11, 11:31
depends omn what business, for some a licence is required from the Highland Council too

Well yes, if you are setting up in brain surgery or dental practice or some such from home then I expect you would need some kind of licence. Thinking of the kinds of business people usually set up from home; consultancy, website design, flogging stuff on e internet etc., then..no.

Folks, if you would like some free advice from someone being a business and management consultant (self employed) for many years, if you set up a business, untill you actually make some money, you are unemployed not self employed. Concentrate all your efforts, time, investment in doing the things that will make you money.

I remember years ago a fairly short sharp conversation with an accountant who was happily trying to sell me a £500 a month business system, "of course you will not be able to draw an income for the first 12 months" !

And cherokee, if your response, when your friend asked for advice was "dont worry, I'll ask the orgers" you might want to rethink giving people advice.

How's the finger today?

NickInTheNorth
21-May-11, 12:26
Well yes, if you are setting up in brain surgery or dental practice or some such from home then I expect you would need some kind of licence. Thinking of the kinds of business people usually set up from home; consultancy, website design, flogging stuff on e internet etc., then..no.

Folks, if you would like some free advice from someone being a business and management consultant (self employed) for many years, if you set up a business, untill you actually make some money, you are unemployed not self employed. Concentrate all your efforts, time, investment in doing the things that will make you money.

I remember years ago a fairly short sharp conversation with an accountant who was happily trying to sell me a £500 a month business system, "of course you will not be able to draw an income for the first 12 months" !

And cherokee, if your response, when your friend asked for advice was "dont worry, I'll ask the orgers" you might want to rethink giving people advice.

How's the finger today?

Ducati - I don't see the particular things you suggest, however :

The functions that require a licence include: Boat Hire Application / Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) Application/ Itinerant Metal Dealers Application / Late Hours Catering Application/ Market Operators Application / Metal Dealers / Private Hire Car Driver / Private Hire Car Operator / Public Entertainment / Second Hand Dealers / Second Hand Vehicle Dealer / Street Trader / Sex Shop / Skin Piercing and Tattooing / Substitute Vehicle / Sun Tanning / Taxi Driver / Taxi Exemption from Guide Dogs / Taxi Operator / Window Cleaner.

Quite a few of those folks set up to do from home....

cherokee
21-May-11, 15:17
Thank you all for your very kind advice, much appreciated.

I've passed all this info onto my friend.

Thanks for asking about my finger, ducati - went to jewellers today and got my wedding ring cut off. He said he can easily repair it once the swelling on my finger subsides!