PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh tram sham....

theone
19-May-11, 20:47
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-13454021

Seems to be a bit of a mess.

I also saw on the news that stopping the project entirely is being considered.

How can such a hash be made of projects spending huge amounts of public money go unchecked for so long? The mind boggles....

octane
19-May-11, 21:11
Because all these projects are not there for the benefit of tourists, the community or joe public. All these fancy or ellaborate projects are setup as a money laundering business for the people at the top to get rich quick and for the contractor whom is usually hand picked due to the golden handshake agreement to have an open cheque book so to speak and milk the tax payers money too.

theone
19-May-11, 21:28
That's a bit cynical, no?

But the "open cheque book" does raise questions. Why aren't projects like this on a fixed price budget? Or even milestone payments, paid out on completion of each stage?

To me, the whole thing stinks, and a resignation after 2 years of picking up a 6 figure salary is not an acceptable get out.

susan.leith
19-May-11, 21:42
Have yet to find an Edinburgh person who actually wants the trams.....

ducati
19-May-11, 22:07
Its not the first time is it ? What about the Parliament building? I seem to remember not a lot of people wanted that either.

Rheghead
19-May-11, 22:53
If you refuse the congestion charge, you get trams. :)

secrets in symmetry
19-May-11, 22:56
If you refuse the congestion charge, you get trams. :)The congestion charge was intended to pay for more trams, not less!

golach
19-May-11, 23:02
The Tram fiasco was thought up by a SNP/Libdem coalition council, does that not say it all!!!

secrets in symmetry
19-May-11, 23:11
It pre-dates them golach. It must have been Labour surely.

The SNP (in Holyrood and the Council) were staunchly against the tram project when they were first elected four years ago, and they promised to cancel it. They failed to do so obviously.

theone
19-May-11, 23:15
Its not the first time is it ? What about the Parliament building?

Exactly my point.

It ended up costing 10 times what we were told it would cost. Now the trams are heading well over budget.

How many people on here would pay £300 for a steak after being offered it for £30 on the menu?

I dread to think what we'll pay if we agree to a new Forth road bridge, quoted at around £2 Billion.

The Tram fiasco was thought up by a SNP/Libdem coalition council, does that not say it all!!!

I don't normally engage in party politics, but that sounds a bit too familiar.......

pmcd
19-May-11, 23:15
Along with all the other trappings of Narnia, why not re-brand the tram as "The Gravy Train", and have it run from RBS HQ to the equally ruinously expensive Scottish Parliament building - which could be renamed Xanadu. Next, let's promise each citizen a free unicorn. You couldn't make it up........

golach
19-May-11, 23:22
It pre-dates them golach. It must have been Labour surely.

The SNP (in Holyrood and the Council) were staunchly against the tram project when they were first elected four years ago, and they promised to cancel it. They failed to do so obviously.

Your right Secrets, my only excuse is its late at night it was thon Hearts supporting provest Eric Milligan that muted the trams in the first place

secrets in symmetry
19-May-11, 23:30
That would explain why their logo is maroon!

gleeber
20-May-11, 08:27
Trams are fantastic. Every city should have them. I use them regularly. £3.20 for an all day bus and tram ticket. Over 60s go free and especially in Scotland they could nip on the tram down to specsavers for a free eye test and then nip round the corner to Boots and pick up the statins to regulate the cholesteral, free of course in Scotland, grab a quick Burger King before catching the tram back home to watch afternoon tv and still time to do the housework. Trams are the future.
People are not grateful enough and you wonder why the disease of doom and gloom and Armageddon is allowed to take a grip in the psychic life of modern man. Look no further than the NO trammers for your answers. :lol:

ducati
20-May-11, 08:32
Trams are fantastic. Every city should have them. I use them regularly. £3.20 for an all day bus and tram ticket. Over 60s go free and especially in Scotland they could nip on the tram down to specsavers for a free eye test and then nip round the corner to Boots and pick up the statins to regulate the cholesteral, free of course in Scotland, grab a quick Burger King before catching the tram back home to watch afternoon tv and still time to do the housework. Trams are the future.
People are not grateful enough and you wonder why the disease of doom and gloom and Armageddon is allowed to take a grip in the psychic life of modern man. Look no further than the NO trammers for your answers. :lol:

Manchester trams are great (but I never use public transport).