PDA

View Full Version : Back Up CD?

KCI
13-Sep-06, 20:44
Can anyone tell me the best way of making a back up CD on a new computer?

A friend of mine was setting up a new computer, and it told her that she would be prompted to make a back up CD of all the software, but there was no prompt.

The system is Windows XP, but I'm not sure how to make a back up CD!

Thanks in advance.

blueivy
14-Sep-06, 12:21
Hi KCI,

If she got a new PC there may be software already on there for her to make CD's (the most popular with new PC's is either Nero or Roxio). If that's the case she can use that to make the CD. You have two problems though:

If you backup the whole system onto CD's, it's really no good for restoring the system unless you know what you're doing (or use special backup software) as all you're doing is restoring the files.
Some important files will be locked and can't be backed up so they'll be missing if you restore them from CD.You really need something like a restore CD that should be either provided with the PC or a method to create it provided. There should be an icon to do that somewhere in the start menu. What make is the PC and was it purchased from the manufacturer or second hand?

KCI
14-Sep-06, 13:19
Hi there

It's an Elonex Exentia - she bought it from dabs.com.

She said that the instructions told her she would be prompted to make a back up CD when installing, and they provided a blank CD, but it didn't say anything about it?

blueivy
14-Sep-06, 13:32
Hi there

It's an Elonex Exentia - she bought it from dabs.com.

She said that the instructions told her she would be prompted to make a back up CD when installing, and they provided a blank CD, but it didn't say anything about it?

Hi KCI,

There should be an icon in the Start Menu (or even on the desktop) that will allow her to create the disk. If it's not there check the Startup folder in case its in there but just not starting correctly. If it's not there either she has to have a root about in the root of C:\ or c:\Program Files for something that night resemble it (maybe an Elonex folder or Restore CD folder - something with a name that might make you think that's what it is).

Failing all of that she could call the Elonex helpline and ask them, however if it's there a root about should find it.