PDA

View Full Version : Milling your own locally grown grain into flour and baking bread?

Rheghead
19-May-11, 15:11
Has anyone tried milling your own grain and baking the flour into bread? The grain mills are a tad expensive either for hand or electric. I'm keen on eating something which can be sourced at every stage from field to table instead of being told my bread has been 'fortified with essential vitamins and minerals'.

And does anyone know where I could get some locally grown wheat grain?

Thanks in advance. :Razz

I'm also interested in discussing whether making your own bread like this is more or less energy intensive than paying for shop bought stuff, eg economy of scale, foodmiles, packaging, cost of equipment etc

Stefan
19-May-11, 18:15
If you wanted to take it to the extreme you could grow the grain yourself.... otherwise wait for next harvest and get some fresh grain from local farmers. Surely somebody must grow wheat in Caithness. If not you have to find a recipe for barley bread ;-)
I'd be interested in this myself. I have a hand mill that I use to grind down chick crumbs for quail chicks etc., I will be getting some wheat for the chickens from a farmer, so might give it a try.... well, I would be grinding and the wife would be baking....

George Brims
19-May-11, 18:27
I'm sure there's plenty winter wheat grown in Caithness. But why all this obsession with bread? Get hold of some locally grown barley and make your own beer! I know someone who has done that.