PDA

View Full Version : distilled water in wick

Tam 2000
19-May-11, 12:16
does any one know are to get distilled water in wick?? or the caithness area? i have tryed the normal places but they only have deionized water homebase, caithness caithness chemicals etc..

thanks for your help :)

111heather
19-May-11, 12:25
whats it for

pat
19-May-11, 13:20
A garage perhaps.

Tam 2000
19-May-11, 13:20
i want it mainly for cosmetics use.. do you know of any places?

Rheghead
19-May-11, 13:46
I am fairly certain that distilled water and deionized water are the same thing. The only difference being how it is made, one is heated and distilled the other is pumped through an ion exchange column.

seadog
19-May-11, 14:12
If you have a condenser tumble dryer the water which has been condensed should do and it costs you nothing as it is normally emptied down the sink

Kevin Milkins
19-May-11, 15:33
Birons Ironmongers in Wick have it.

octane
19-May-11, 16:54
I order my Distilled water from the chemists in Wick and comes in a 5ltr bottle.

Colin Manson
20-May-11, 12:10
There is a difference between them,

Distilled water still contains ions it has just been de-mineralized.

Deionized is one step further and the ions have also been removed.

rob1
20-May-11, 12:39
There is a difference between them,

Distilled water still contains ions it has just been de-mineralized.

Deionized is one step further and the ions have also been removed.

Thats not entirely right. Yes there is a difference and yes deionized water has the ions removed but distilled water also contains no ions.

Deionized water will remove only ions, by ion exchange resins as another orger has said. Distilation will remove ions and any other matter that does not dissolve from the mixture such as bacteria, viruses, soil and other particals.

Colin Manson
20-May-11, 14:32
I was under the impression that distilled water still contained some ion, for instance doesn't it still contain OH- and H+ ions?

rob1
20-May-11, 15:17
well sort of. its more like H3O+ and OH- but they are a result of interaction between 2 water molecules. If you had only H2O in a bottle for example you would still get H3O+ and OH- being constantly formed and turned back into H2O. You would still get this interaction occuring even in deionized water.

Rheghead
20-May-11, 15:23
All very esoteric and pedantry but deionized water also contains H+ and OH-, I think for all intents and purposes and for most purposes deionized water can used in place of distilled water as a form of purified water, that is unless you are using it for a purpose which needs one over the other.

However, distilled water will contain less organic compounds, and if it is to be used in making perfume then that may be an issue if the water is sourced from a peaty area but most water purification plants use deionisation in conjunction with reverse osmosis which means organics are removed as well.

Leanne
20-May-11, 17:54
I have a RO/DI unit - does both - that I would be willing to sell for £50. It attaches to your tap and pumps out pure reverse osmosis and deionised water.

secrets in symmetry
20-May-11, 23:21
The last time I tried to buy distilled water was a disaster - I was sold a bottle of colourless liquid that turned out to be dihydrogen monoxide. I blame the SNP, those Yorkshire horse thieves and that woman with the shovel that spent 40 years pounding the streets of Maryhill.