PDA

View Full Version : Steps.

Kenn
17-May-11, 00:10
Can any one please tell me why enclosed cemetaries have the cantilevered steps up and down the walls when they have a gate?

pat
17-May-11, 09:40
to enable horse riders to mount horses easily?

Dog-eared
17-May-11, 10:52
So that there is access without unlocking the gates.

trinkie
17-May-11, 11:41
In dones gone by if people arrived for the funeral by carriage, it would have been parked close to the steps or Stile
so that folk could step out more easily .

Nice question Lizz.

sids
17-May-11, 12:32
Is this a Portgower thing?

Kenn
17-May-11, 18:25
Interesting idea trinkie but as the steps are cantilevered out of the wall and go up to the top and down the other side, it would make opening a coach/carriage door impossible.
I would also think that with the ladies dresses that were worn over the last 200yrs it would also be a very dangerous way to gain access.
I think Dog-eared may have the correct answer unless any one can come up with a less obvious one.

Kodiak
17-May-11, 21:28
Originally Grave Yards were built with a wall completely surrounding them with no Gate. This was to stop wild animals getting in and digging up the bodies. Therefore usually the only way in and out for people was the steps built in the wall. Later as animals became less of a problem gates were added to make access easier.

Kenn
17-May-11, 23:07
Many thanks Kodiak, has been intriguing me for some time, never thought it would be to keep the wolves at bay!