PDA

View Full Version : Closed threads

gerry4
16-May-11, 10:27
It would be nice to be informed as to why a thread you started was closed. Also it would be nice for those who want to contribute to it as to why they can't.

If someone's posts something unacceptable, would it be better to give them a warning and maybe moderate their posts instead of closing the whole topic down?

This is a section for general discussions. Generally to have a discussion opposing views are put forward. So long as it does not get personal then what is the problem. As I said before if it does then that person can be put on a warning.

To close down a topic without warning or being told why is not very friendly.

Gerry

Rheghead
16-May-11, 10:32
What happened to the nuclear cost thread? I saw that you started it but got closed.

gerry4
16-May-11, 10:38
i was writing a reply to that thread and before I could it was closed. I have not been informed why. My original post was in no way offensive, I attacked no one. I have no idea why it was closed. I saw the previous Nuclear post was closed and I saw no real reason for that, nor any explanation on the thread to say why.

I am just asking that we are told why a thread is closed. We can then make up our minds as to if it is a valid reason or not. If valid, then may prevent us from having other threads closed.

Gerry

Rheghead
16-May-11, 10:53
Well it is always the same small vocal minority who think they have all the answers on subjects like those and whose debating method degenerates into a slagging match if they get a well constructed reply. For what it is worth I think nuclear and wind costs are about the same ~8p/kWh. But it is sold @~15p/kWh for domestic consumers.

lasher
16-May-11, 11:37
Probably because this site is run by nazi's if they don't like something it's gone!!

Anfield
16-May-11, 12:02
Probably because this site is run by nazi's if they don't like something it's gone!!
Although I agree with your sentiments, I would draw the line at calling the "Mods" nazi's

I have had a few threads removed and closed and posts removed without any warning or reasons given and it has often mystified me as to who is responsible.
I would like to see the Mods usernames shown when threads/posts are closed/removed so that you can see who is "modding" a particular thread, this would remove a lot of secrecy and make the forum more transparent.
For example I have very strong feelings towards Animal rights, so would it be fair if I was a "Mod" on a thread about this topic?

Colin Manson
16-May-11, 12:11
Hi,

I've checked the logs and it wasn't closed by anyone, something is wrong with the system and I haven't had time to investigate it yet.

If a post is closed without any apparent reason then send me a PM and I'll unlock it, that will have to do until I can fix the problem.

Cheers
Colin

p.s. Lasher

If your comment was true I'd have banned you with little or no consequence.

ducati
16-May-11, 13:47
Well it is always the same small vocal minority who think they have all the answers on subjects like those and whose debating method degenerates into a slagging match if they get a well constructed reply. For what it is worth I think nuclear and wind costs are about the same ~8p/kWh. But it is sold @~15p/kWh for domestic consumers.

I hear a pot-kettle conversation :lol:

shazzap
16-May-11, 13:51
A post entitled Arrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggghhh, has also disappeared.

Rheghead
16-May-11, 13:53
I hear a pot-kettle conversation :lol:

true but only in the sense that I attack the message rather than the messenger, I am only human and react when provoked, never the provoker lol

golach
16-May-11, 14:08
I would like to see the Mods usernames shown when threads/posts are closed/removed so that you can see who is "modding" a particular thread, this would remove a lot of secrecy and make the forum more transparent.
For example I have very strong feelings towards Animal rights, so would it be fair if I was a "Mod" on a thread about this topic?
Why would the naming of Moderators be a benefit to the Org? No Moderator in his right mind wants to be attacked on line or shouted at in the street, as would happen.
And you wanting to be a Moderator Anfield........dont make me laugh, A Moderator has to have an open mind, some thing you IMO do not have, sorry Anfield as a Moderator, your fired [lol]

gerry4
16-May-11, 14:17
Hi,

I've checked the logs and it wasn't closed by anyone, something is wrong with the system and I haven't had time to investigate it yet.

If a post is closed without any apparent reason then send me a PM and I'll unlock it, that will have to do until I can fix the problem.

Cheers
Colin

Colin

Thank you for opening the thread again. If i need to contact a moderator, how do I PM them?

Gerry

Colin Manson
16-May-11, 14:31
Gerry,

Just PM me. You could PM the account Moderator but it might not get picked up as quickly.

Cheers
Colin

Colin Manson
16-May-11, 14:33
A post entitled Arrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggghhh, has also disappeared.

Yes it was removed and it shouldn't have been because?

Anfield
16-May-11, 14:40
Why would the naming of Moderators be a benefit to the Org? No Moderator in his right mind wants to be attacked on line or shouted at in the street, as would happen.

Why would you want to attack a Moderator online or shout at them in street, not everyone is like you.

And you wanting to be a Moderator Anfield........dont make me laugh, A Moderator has to have an open mind, some thing you IMO do not have, sorry Anfield as a Moderator, your fired

Er.. Can you point out to me the part of my post which suggested that I wanted to become a Moderator?
Remember you were born with two eyes and one mouth, use them in that proportion
One of these days you will read a post properly before jumping in with both feet

golach
16-May-11, 14:44
Cough cough

Anfield
16-May-11, 15:09
Cough cough

Your comprehension of the English language beggars belief!
Read it again, very very slowly, and you will find that "..so would it be fair if I was a "Mod".." is an example of a hypothetical statement.
It certainly improved the gene pool when you left Caithness

golach
16-May-11, 16:29
It certainly improved the gene pool when you left Caithness

Oh dear me, is that the best you can do? Away back under your bridge [lol]

Anfield
16-May-11, 17:35
Oh dear me, is that the best you can do? Away back under your bridge [lol]

My first thoughts were that Golach has at last come up with a funny original post, but then I looked at it again and realised that I was wrong.
Did a quick search and found out that once again he has pinched someone elses words, in this case at least 850 people (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22Away+back+under+your+bridge%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a).

16-May-11, 18:39
As the OP's query has been answered and is being investigated by Admin the rest of this thread is superfluous and becoming rather silly.

This thread is now closed.