PDA

View Full Version : Box o bananas are coming

DOC ROCK
13-Sep-06, 14:18
Box O’ Bananas are travelling North to Caithness for a weekend of musical magic, not to be missed.

Box O’ Bananas are a band based from around the city of Stirling. The band consists of three members, Jock The Box – midi accordion and vocals, Stevie Gillies – guitars, vocals, and midi bagpipes and appearing on drums for the North of Scotland Tchuech / Rock tour will be Doc Rock from Thurso. Jock & Stevie have played together for many years during which time they have traveled all over the world performing at many events.

What type of music do the Bananas play? This is a very difficult question to answer. Box O’ Bananas are already widely recognised as an up-tempo Ceilidh band but this is only the tip of the iceberg. Due to each of the players own unique musical backgrounds, this allows the band to be very versatile thus making them capable of performing a vast array of styles. Scottish, Irish, folk / rock and a Cajun vibe can be anticipated at a Banana recital. Their set may also feature songs, slow airs, fast furious jigs and reels or songs by Deep Purple and AC/DC. The Bananas were once referred to as the new “Jimmy Shandrix.”

The Bananas will be in town on Friday 6th October at The Holborn Hotel, Saturday 7th October at The Weigh Inn and Sunday 8th October at the Newmarket bar.:cool:

theboss
13-Sep-06, 14:42
I've seen these guys and can honestly say they were one of the most entertaining bands I have EVER seen!!

They are well worth going to see and I know i'll be there for all 3 dates.

Can't wait!!!

killarifts
13-Sep-06, 18:13
me to , these guys can play heavy rock and even punk on the boxie and midi bagpipes , hearing is believing

DOC ROCK
13-Sep-06, 18:16
I've seen these guys and can honestly say they were one of the most entertaining bands I have EVER seen!!

Can't wait!!!

Thanks for your kind words Boss, we will enjoy seeing you there.

DOC ROCK
13-Sep-06, 18:23
me to , these guys can play heavy rock and even punk on the boxie and midi bagpipes , hearing is believing

You should come and do a few songs with us Mr rifts, then it really would ROCK.[evil] lol

tattoo_tearz
13-Sep-06, 20:47
i seen them play in thurso a few months ago, trust me when i say this band are not to be missed, yup i will be there for sure, they really are entertaining as the boss says. i promise anyone that goes there will not leave disapointed!

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Sep-06, 00:00
Soon as I see the word "unique" in any band's pitch, a shivver goes down my spine.

DOC ROCK
14-Sep-06, 10:19
If you are up for the challenge, why dont you come to one of the Box o bannanas gigs then you will be qualified to pass judgement.

Jeid
14-Sep-06, 10:35
Don't take any heid of him, he's usually this negative ;)

roblovesplastic
14-Sep-06, 13:17
Doc - please please explain midi-bagpipes, would love a picture.

Jeid - thats a bit strong I think that the comment was quite positive for the pepsi dude.

Box o bannanas (ace name) - Hope you's have ace gigs, I might have to have a look at the midi bagpipes.:)

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Sep-06, 14:23
Box O’ Bananas are travelling North to Caithness for a weekend of musical magic, not to be missed.

Box O’ Bananas are a band based from around the city of Stirling. The band consists of three members, Jock The Box – midi accordion and vocals, Stevie Gillies – guitars, vocals, and midi bagpipes and appearing on drums for the North of Scotland Tchuech / Rock tour will be Doc Rock from Thurso. Jock & Stevie have played together for many years during which time they have traveled all over the world performing at many events.

What type of music do the Bananas play? This is a very difficult question to answer. Box O’ Bananas are already widely recognised as an up-tempo Ceilidh band but this is only the tip of the iceberg. Due to each of the players own unique musical backgrounds, this allows the band to be very versatile thus making them capable of performing a vast array of styles. Scottish, Irish, folk / rock and a Cajun vibe can be anticipated at a Banana recital. Their set may also feature songs, slow airs, fast furious jigs and reels or songs by Deep Purple and AC/DC. The Bananas were once referred to as the new “Jimmy Shandrix.”

The Bananas will be in town on Friday 6th October at The Holborn Hotel, Saturday 7th October at The Weigh Inn and Sunday 8th October at the Newmarket bar.:cool:

Three gigs in a row - in the same town? Not selling yourself short, are you? Be interested to learn what attendance figures will be like for this. However people in Thurso generally go out regardless of what's on or not. Right?

And Jeid; me, negative? Nah, man, just being pragmatic :)

roblovesplastic
14-Sep-06, 17:44
Three gigs in a row - in the same town? Not selling yourself short, are you? Be interested to learn what attendance figures will be like for this. However people in Thurso generally go out regardless of what's on or not. Right?

And Jeid; me, negative? Nah, man, just being pragmatic :)

Right if you dont stop being negative i am gonna work out how to give negative rep points as opposed to recieving them.

my finger is on the naughty boy button[lol]

DOC ROCK
06-Oct-06, 10:41

Can't wait!!!
Just as theboss says, a band well worth going to see.

The Bananas will be in town on,

Friday 6th October at The Holborn Hotel,
Saturday 7th October at The Weigh Inn
Sunday 8th October at the Newmarket bar

Jeid
08-Oct-06, 01:18
Saw them in the Weigh Inn tonight and they were fantastic... would strongly recommend that people go along to the Newmarket tomorrow night and see them

killarifts
08-Oct-06, 19:58
boo hoo,ive missed seeing them this weekend due to work,im gutted,any simpathy is wellcome lol

Metalattakk
08-Oct-06, 20:54
Saw them on Friday night in the Holborn - I was frankly astonished...I'd never heard the likes in my life before...on more than a few occasions I was left thinking - "How the heck did they do that?"

The vocal interplay was brilliant, the drumming was quality, the guitar parts fitted the songs perfectly, but the guy playing the accordion was the star o' the show.

Just think Walt Disney, a distorted electric guitar and an accordion, and you'll still not come anywhere near close to imagining what they were like!!

DOC ROCK
09-Oct-06, 00:00
Saw them on Friday night in the Holborn - I was frankly astonished...I'd never heard the likes in my life before...on more than a few occasions I was left thinking - "How the heck did they do that?"

The vocal interplay was brilliant, the drumming was quality, the guitar parts fitted the songs perfectly, but the guy playing the accordion was the star o' the show.

Just think Walt Disney, a distorted electric guitar and an accordion, and you'll still not come anywhere near close to imagining what they were like!!

Hey Metalattackk, all three of us are delighted that you enjoyed our show so much. Entertaining people is what it is all about, and we can assure that we enjoyed ourselves every bit as much as you did. Until the next time, all the best. Jock the Box, Stevie Banana and Doc Rock.:)

Jeid
09-Oct-06, 00:18
boo hoo,ive missed seeing them this weekend due to work,im gutted,any simpathy is wellcome lol

Good to see you're busy at work ;)

theboss
09-Oct-06, 14:34
Was at the Weigh Inn gig and the Newmarket one and was blown away each time. Fantastic musicians who delivered first class music. Sometimes it was traditional scottish, sometimes it was rock, most of the time they were mixing them both and each tune was played with as much energy as the last.

Highlights for me were 'Liverdance' and 'Highway to Hell'. AC/DC on an Accordion. Pure class!

Bring back the Bananas!!!

The Pepsi Challenge
09-Oct-06, 16:35
I love novelty music - shame I missed it. Humour, as Zappa once said, firmly belongs in music.

Metalattakk
09-Oct-06, 21:49
Oh pepsi pepsi, ye of little exaltation...

They were a good deal more than just 'novelty' music.

The Pepsi Challenge
10-Oct-06, 02:34
Sorry; wisnae dissing the band or nowt. I already spoke to a lass from Edinburgh who caught them live and she said they were fantastic. She knows a good band when she sees one, but she also said Rod Stewart is a God, so go figure.

buggyracer
10-Oct-06, 08:34
Sorry; wisnae dissing the band or nowt. I already spoke to a lass from Edinburgh who caught them live and she said they were fantastic. She knows a good band when she sees one, but she also said Rod Stewart is a God, so go figure.

glad your other half enjoyed them!?