PDA

View Full Version : We are all in this together !!

Corrie 3
13-May-11, 12:20
As Cameron say's, "We are all in this together"...we must tighten our belts and get used to living in less!
So.......have you closed your wine cellar down or can you afford to keep it well stocked !!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13386948

C3.......:mad::eek::roll:

weezer 316
13-May-11, 13:46
lmao! Did you even read the link? Its clearly the most cost effective way to provide wine for state functions. Or perhaps we should serve coke!

Corrie 3
13-May-11, 13:52
lmao! Did you even read the link? Its clearly the most cost effective way to provide wine for state functions. Or perhaps we should serve coke!
Or perhaps we should serve nothing....They get enough perks as it is!! Talk about noses in the trough!!

C3....:eek:

weezer 316
13-May-11, 13:58
Yes! Excellent! Head of state comes to vsiit....sit down Prime minister / president x.........come invest here, take advantage of our expertise in x,y and z..............Oh and by the way I hope you brought dinner and someting to drink with you!!

Numbskull! The govt is huge and lays on many may fucntions! But then you couldnt care less could you, chance to snipe!!

Corrie 3
13-May-11, 14:13
Yes! Excellent! Head of state comes to vsiit....sit down Prime minister / president x.........come invest here, take advantage of our expertise in x,y and z..............Oh and by the way I hope you brought dinner and someting to drink with you!!

Numbskull! The govt is huge and lays on many may fucntions! But then you couldnt care less could you, chance to snipe!!
Oh dear Weezer,
Resorted to name calling once again have we ?.. never mind !!

C3.....:roll:

weezer 316
13-May-11, 14:17
Oh dear , corrie, resorted to literally making a mountina out of not even a mole hill and hoping no one points out the nonsense contained within.

Any other solution to the need to hosts guests? Perhaps obama should bring a tent when he arrives too?

Corrie 3
13-May-11, 14:24
Oh dear , corrie, resorted to literally making a mountina out of not even a mole hill and hoping no one points out the nonsense contained within.

Any other solution to the need to hosts guests? Perhaps obama should bring a tent when he arrives too?
You call £2m worth of wine and spirits a molehill????? I call it abuse of taxpayers money. And arent heads of state wined at dined at Buck house and not the Houses of Parliament???

£2m worth of drink is not nonsense in my book, I dont know about yours!!

shazzap
13-May-11, 14:30
I'm with you on this C3. It's scandalous. They preach to everyone about tightening belts, and the evils of drink. Practice what you preach, i say.

weezer 316
13-May-11, 14:40
Do you actually read things??? Seriously!! It says, clear as day, the following.....

Its to be "used by government for government hospitality, for business hospitality, for visiting heads of state" - and thats a quote

It then says "We are going to be selling some of the fine valuable wines, we're going to be getting about £50,000 in a year and the purchase of wine is going to be completely self-financing." - and thats another quote

So yes it is used for things like heads of state, no it not a waste of money, buying in wine every time we needed it would be, and it finances its own running......simples really. But here, doesnt matter, just make it look like its actually an issue and tub thump louder then the others!!

Corrie 3
13-May-11, 15:08
Do you actually read things??? Seriously!! It says, clear as day, the following.....

Its to be "used by government for government hospitality, for business hospitality, for visiting heads of state" - and thats a quote

It then says "We are going to be selling some of the fine valuable wines, we're going to be getting about £50,000 in a year and the purchase of wine is going to be completely self-financing." - and thats another quote

So yes it is used for things like heads of state, no it not a waste of money, buying in wine every time we needed it would be, and it finances its own running......simples really. But here, doesnt matter, just make it look like its actually an issue and tub thump louder then the others!!
Self financing my bum!!! Who's money was spent in buying the £2m worth of stock in the first place? What rankles me is there are people who need treatment for their illness and they are being told that there treatment/medicines are too expensive and they are being denied, but its ok for MP's to hold £2m worth of wine (Lets face it, wine is a luxury, not a neccessity). That £2m could buy a lot of treatment for folks who are ill and N.I.C.E are telling them that they cant have it!!
And I agree with Shazzap, we are always being preached to how bad drinking is for you, but eh, lets not deprive the MP's of a good jolly on taxpayers money eh?

golach
13-May-11, 15:20
And how much booze will be bought by the Scottish Parliament, or the Scottish Office up the road, a lot of entertaining is done in both places. I wonder who foots the bill for that? Can I take a guess? .......A Salmond...no, ...the Snp...no.......got us taxpayers, yes , again.
But I have to admit the MSP's restaurant is good, I attended a Trafalgar Night dinner there a couple of years ago, food, wine & service all excellent and plentyful, and reasonably priced too. £25pp, for 4 courses and all the wine, Maderia & Port you could drink, I went home 3 sheets to the wind.

weezer 316
13-May-11, 15:44
Self financing my bum!!! Who's money was spent in buying the £2m worth of stock in the first place? What rankles me is there are people who need treatment for their illness and they are being told that there treatment/medicines are too expensive and they are being denied, but its ok for MP's to hold £2m worth of wine (Lets face it, wine is a luxury, not a neccessity). That £2m could buy a lot of treatment for folks who are ill and N.I.C.E are telling them that they cant have it!!
And I agree with Shazzap, we are always being preached to how bad drinking is for you, but eh, lets not deprive the MP's of a good jolly on taxpayers money eh?

Again, DO YOU READ WHATS WRITTEN!!!

Astonishing, its utterly incredible what you nationalist come out with sometimes!!

Ill try, slowly, and explain. Again. for the 3rd time.

THE . WINE . DOESNT . BELONG . TO . MPS . FOR . PISSUPS . AFTER . PMS . QUESTIONS . ITS . FOR . USE . AT . STATE . FUCNTIONS . AND . THE . LIKE . WHERE . MPS . RECEIVE . HEADS . OF . STATE . AND . MAJOR . BUSINESS . LEADERS . WHILST . AT . THE . SERVICE . OF . THE . COUNTRY.

You make it sound like they spend millions for a jolly for no reason other than they could

Im sure I asked you, but you didnt answer, what should we serve visiting dignataries??

Kells
13-May-11, 15:55

Astonishing, its utterly incredible what you nationalist come out with sometimes!!

THE . WINE . DOESNT . BELONG . TO . MPS . FOR . PISSUPS . AFTER . PMS . QUESTIONS . ITS . FOR . USE . AT . STATE . FUCNTIONS . AND . THE . LIKE . WHERE . MPS . RECEIVE . HEADS . OF . STATE . AND . MAJOR . BUSINESS . LEADERS . WHILST . AT . THE . SERVICE . OF . THE . COUNTRY.

You make it sound like they spend millions for a jolly for no reason other than they could

Im sure I asked you, but you didnt answer, what should we serve visiting dignataries??

Did you read the full article....... "I didn't know there was a bottle of Latour 61 that was worth £10,000. I certainly don't know which minister would dare to drink it." Way over the top I would say for hospitality .....

Corrie 3
13-May-11, 16:30

First name calling and now condescending, if that's the best you can do I think its time you gave up weezer....at least try and get your spelling right before you try and bring me down!!
You seem happy at the thought of your taxes ending up in the MP's urinal, if that's the case I am pleased for you!!

C3....;)

weezer 316
13-May-11, 16:50
Apologies, that looks far worse than it did when I wrote it. The point remains.

Its not there for MP's piss ups. You are insinuating its a "perk" when it clearly is nothing of the sort. Yet you refuse to acknowledge it

And I asked, what would you do instead, yet you ignore the question. So what would do serve visiting dignitaries??

You seem far more worried about the cost of the wine than the potential cost of heads of large corporations and foreign governments who have literally tens of billions of pounds invested in this country, and whos investment sustains millions of jobs, having a bad impression of the UK. Ensuring they have a high opinion of this country is utterly paramount. Do try and see the bigger picture once!

Kells, fair point, 10k is pretty steep. Good wine though can expect to cost 4 figures. Like I said above, its cost effective, far more so than many schemes im sure you would all support, like the scottish govt's insualtion scheme

Kells
13-May-11, 17:00
Apologies, that looks far worse than it did when I wrote it. The point remains.

Its not there for MP's piss ups. You are insinuating its a "perk" when it clearly is nothing of the sort. Yet you refuse to acknowledge it

And I asked, what would you do instead, yet you ignore the question. So what would do serve visiting dignitaries??

You seem far more worried about the cost of the wine than the potential cost of heads of large corporations and foreign governments who have literally tens of billions of pounds invested in this country, and whos investment sustains millions of jobs, having a bad impression of the UK. Ensuring they have a high opinion of this country is utterly paramount. Do try and see the bigger picture once!

Kells, fair point, 10k is pretty steep. Good wine though can expect to cost 4 figures. Like I said above, its cost effective, far more so than many schemes im sure you would all support, like the scottish govt's insualtion scheme

Have you never heard that two wrongs do not make a right. It is nonsense to say that wine costing four figures is necessary or cost effective, a good wine could be served for a great deal less.

Corrie 3
13-May-11, 17:25
I asked, what would you do instead, yet you ignore the question. So what would do serve visiting dignitaries??

Whats wrong with tea?....It is after all our nations favourite drink and we are well known for it!!
Failing that there is coffee, water, cola, orange juice, milk.......all of which is better for the human body than alcohol and a damn site cheaper !!
Now you can proceed to rip me to shreds for suggesting a healthier choice of drinks!!!

C3....:roll:;)

squidge
13-May-11, 17:29
I think it is right the government should have a wine cellar but is there really the need for so much of it. Despite this the bottle they are talking about selling for 10,000 was bought for 51 shillings. That's quite a good return. I would suggest that all bottles worth over £1500 be sold and they only serve wine of £100 per bottle or less. This would give a blooming good glass of wine and would create some revenue whilst still encouraging the buying of young wine to be 'laid down'. There is absolutely no need for a cellar of this value. Never mind the fact that the coalition spent £17500 on wine in a matter of weeks!!! That's a bit mad! (it was in the article linked to this one from June last year).

weezer 316
13-May-11, 17:35
Whats wrong with tea?....It is after all our nations favourite drink and we are well known for it!!
Failing that there is coffee, water, cola, orange juice, milk.......all of which is better for the human body than alcohol and a damn site cheaper !!
Now you can proceed to rip me to shreds for suggesting a healthier choice of drinks!!!

C3....:roll:;)

Im ripping you to shreds for being stunningly niave. I doubt you actualy believe what your saying tbh. I suppose when visiting heads of state, lets say South Korean for instance, come to visit with Heads of Hyundai, Samsung et all in tow we should put the delegation of 100 people up in the travel lodge as opposed to a hilton on the premise no one needs a plasma screen tv in their room!

If we did that, this place would have the inward investment of somalia.

bekisman
13-May-11, 17:38
You call £2m worth of wine and spirits a molehill????? I call it abuse of taxpayers money. And arent heads of state wined at dined at Buck house and not the Houses of Parliament???

£2m worth of drink is not nonsense in my book, I dont know about yours!!

'Buck house'? thought we paid for that..

John Little
13-May-11, 17:42
'Buck house'? thought we paid for that..

Nah - George iii bought that for his missus...

golach
13-May-11, 19:08
Now you can proceed to rip me to shreds for suggesting a healthier choice of drinks!!!C3....:roll:;)

Tea our national drink???? Who are you trying to kid?? Tea is the quintessential personification of England. Everyone knows what our National drink is, even more famous is our second national drink Irn Bru!!!! [lol]

shazzap
13-May-11, 19:31
Snowball, anyone?????????

John Little
13-May-11, 19:37
Tea our national drink???? Who are you trying to kid?? Tea is the quintessential personification of England. Everyone knows what our National drink is, even more famous is our second national drink Irn Bru!!!! [lol]

Hm.... zat so?

What was Jamie Watt watching when he got interested in steam engines?....

What did Murdoch use to heat coal when he invented town gas?....

golach
13-May-11, 19:55
Hm.... zat so?

What was Jamie Watt watching when he got interested in steam engines?....

What did Murdoch use to heat coal when he invented town gas?....

It was not for making tea, the poor Scots could not afford tea in those days, Watt was probably watching his mothers kettle boiling to make Brose [lol]

John Little
13-May-11, 19:58
It was not for making tea, the poor Scots could not afford tea in those days, Watt was probably watching his mothers kettle boiling to make Brose [lol]

Now I cannot go along with that. There was a certain exciseman from Ayrshire who could afford to get good whisky and I am sure that he could afford the smuggled tea too....

John Little
13-May-11, 20:01
I'll agree that tea was a status drink for the aspiring middle classes - but it was not for the poor - in any part of the UK;

http://footguards.tripod.com/08HISTORY/08_costofliving.htm

"William Murdoch (later known as Murdock) (1754–1839) (partner of James Watt) is reputed to have heated coal in his mother's teapot to produce gas"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_gasification

This I learned at the `Miller Academy when small.

golach
13-May-11, 20:18
Now I cannot go along with that. There was a certain exciseman from Ayrshire who could afford to get good whisky and I am sure that he could afford the smuggled tea too....

Are you alleging our National poet was a smuggler? Any way he was a Exciseman in Dumfries not Ayrshire :confused

John Little
13-May-11, 20:23
Are you alleging our National poet was a smuggler? Any way he was a Exciseman in Dumfries not Ayrshire :confused

Damn it! There you go - pricking my wee bubbles again. I always had him as an Ayrshire man!

golach
13-May-11, 20:25
Damn it! There you go - pricking my wee bubbles again. I always had him as an Ayrshire man!

Born in Ayrshire I agree

John Little
13-May-11, 20:25
Aaaaaahhhh!!

http://www.ayrshire-arran.com/ttsad/burns/

You're pulling my leg!!

Okay - you had me going! :lol:

golach
13-May-11, 20:33
See here John

http://www.robertburns.org.uk/robertburns_exciseman.htm

John Little
13-May-11, 20:40
See here John

http://www.robertburns.org.uk/robertburns_exciseman.htm

Fair enough - an Ayrshireman working as an exciseman in Dumfries; that nails him.

And thankyou - life long learning goes on!

weezer 316
14-May-11, 20:18
returning to the original post.....appears someon actually went and investigated the cellar.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13378301

For those who wont read it, or will read it and ignore its points, they are summarized below:

No bottle cost more than £100
The collection is valued at £2m on the open market. no where near that was spent.
Sections will be sold off to finance purchase of new wines, will make it a self sustaining operation.

Dont let this report stop you making it up as you go along though....

Kells
14-May-11, 20:35
Well done in finding another article on the same subject and giving a very different viewpoint. I still find the idea of spending even £100 on wine as not making me feel as though we are all in this together.