PDA

View Full Version : Sea Anglers Rescued After Fire On Board

Mr P Cannop
12-Sep-06, 19:33
A Party of sea anglers had to be taken ashore by lifeboat after a fire started on their charter boat off the far north coast yesterday.

The group of 12 set out into the Pentland Firth from Scrabster and had just started fishing when smoke was seen belching from the engine room of the 50ft Karen.

Skipper Dave Benson issued lifejackets to the passengers who were marshalled towards the bow of the vessel. He then sent a mayday to Aberdeen Coastguard as the boat drifted seaward about a mile-and-a-half off Brough.

Thurso lifeboat was scrambled, as were Duncansby Head and Scrabster Coastguard teams. The lifeboat was on the scene within half an hour and the passengers were transferred on to her.

A line was then attached to the 50ft-long Karen which was towed back to Scrabster.

Mr Benson, 41, said: "By the time the lifeboat arrived, we had the opportunity to investigate and though there was no sign of a fire then, it was felt best to put the passengers on to the lifeboat.

"It was a situation where we took all precautionary measures we could as we do not take any chances when we're dealing with members of the public."

The lifeboat arrived at Scrabster just before 2pm when the anglers were safely landed.

A team of Thurso firefighters were waiting at the quayside to go aboard the Karen and check over the engine room.

A spokeswoman for Aberdeen Coastguard said: "Thurso lifeboat went alongside the Karen and the fire had been extinguished by people on board. There were 14 people on board. Thurso lifeboat took 12 people off the vessel and the captain and his mate stayed on board while she was towed back to harbour where they were met by Scrabster Coastguard rescue team and an appliance from Highlands and Islands Fire and Rescue Service."

Engineers are due to inspect the vessel today to gauge the extent of the damage.

Ricco
12-Sep-06, 20:33
How many? 14 people on board - how any is it licenced for? I thought 12 was the maximum for a charter vessel? And they had a fire on board - I shan't be booking a charter aboard Karen.

pedromcgrory
12-Sep-06, 20:54
its on front page of org that on sunday it sucked up a big jellyfish and had to get towed in was that eday it happened again

Saxo01
12-Sep-06, 20:55
The Orcadian website says 12 anglers 2 crew & that there wasn't a fire but smoke from the engine room

SandTiger
12-Sep-06, 21:36
Hi Ricco

The boat is licensed for 12 passengers plus 2 crew, equals 14.

A Mayday call was initially put out as a fire by me because there was intense heat from a confined area and possible smoke. Lifejackets were issued to passengers and they were all marshalled to the bow. Upon investigation the problem related to a burst seal and with steam escaping from a doorway and dropping in temperature to give a more dense appearance to the steam along with apparnt blackness in the smoke from rubber or oil deposits. After investigation the Mayday call was downgraded to a Pan Pan with the passengers being informed of all developments through out – In fact they just carried on fishing at the bow, until the swift arrival of the lifeboat, during what was really a rather uneventful matter.

The incident has been logged and closed with the Maritime Accident Investigation Branch, on Monday morning, who were happy with the outcome and that all procedures had been dealt with correctly as were the Maritime Coastguard Agency and Fire Brigade.

In the circumstances I felt the correct course of action was to call the matter in to the Coastguard before fully investigating - Had I or my mate investigated prior and suffered injury then we would not have been much good to our passengers had we not made the initial call, would we?

Hopefully this clarifies the matter?

The 'fire' was at best an initial suspected fire which was discounted once the matter had been called in and we had the opportunity to investigate – Had it of actually been a fire and we had delayed calling the matter in then the headlines could have been entirely different, I’m sure you will agree?

The Press and Journal appear to have picked up the wrong end of the stick and have been invited to print an ‘update’ on the matter correcting and clarifying any points that are incorrect.

As they say, you can’t always believe what you read in the papers :roll:

Dave Benson

mr do dar
12-Sep-06, 21:45
some people need to get the facts before shouting health and safety the crew on karen did well to get everything under control and the passangers to safety till the lifeboat arrived . the crew needs a pat on the back :)

webmannie
12-Sep-06, 22:15
Hear,hear

I'd be happy to go out on the Karen, safe in the knowledge that my safety is paramount. Better to be safe than sorry!!

brokencross
12-Sep-06, 22:31
Sandtiger, it sounds as if you handled that emergency with great professionalism and should be commended. Always better to prepare for the worst case scenario, then downgrade things just as you did.

Saxo01
12-Sep-06, 22:47
some people need to get the facts before shouting health and safety the crew on karen did well to get everything under control and the passangers to safety till the lifeboat arrived . the crew needs a pat on the back :)

Aye your right thats why i added my wee bit, 1st post was all out of proportion, Not a good idea when its someones business

Mr P Cannop
12-Sep-06, 22:49
Aye your right thats why i added my wee bit, 1st post was all out of proportion, Not a good idea when its someones business

its all over the papers as well

Mr P Cannop
12-Sep-06, 22:51

my post on this is not out of proportion i got this from the papers

Jeid
12-Sep-06, 23:21
my post on this is not out of proportion i got this from the papers

Very well, but you should be posting your source when you copy something from a newspaper. It's in the rules.

Mr P Cannop
13-Sep-06, 08:11
what do you mean ??

Jeid
13-Sep-06, 09:17
When you post something from an external source like the bbc website or wherever you found that piece of information, you should state where it came from.

Mr P Cannop
13-Sep-06, 10:00
ok point noted