PDA

View Full Version : broadband, how much is yours?

toffee_pie
10-May-11, 21:27
hi folk

After wasting over 5 weeks with BT getting no were (serious, are they this bad to everyone?). I got a talk talk package for 30 quid a month and a 50 pound connection fee, some of which i get back

Is this the normal fee for people living here, seems these cost like 10 pounds in mainland uk :eek::eek:

thats for unlimited weekend and evening calls, modem, 40 gig cap etc.

as for BT, never met such useless people in all my life

Gizmo
10-May-11, 21:52
ISP: Post Office

Cost: £25.50 per month, no connection fee.

Package: Broadband Extra, Unlimited Downloads, Inclusive line rental, Inclusive evening and weekend calls to UK landlines and 0845/0870 numbers. Inclusive weekend calls to UK mobiles as well as top 40 international destinations.

I had a really shakey start with The Post Office, setting up the account was a nightmare, and i could never get the same answer twice from their customer service department. But since then, the service has been fine, and i have only had to call them twice this year, and that's just in connection with the slow speeds that have been happening due to problems at the telephone exchange.

As for 'Talk Talk', you couldn't pay me to use them.

ShelleyCowie
10-May-11, 21:55
With BT, Broadband is about £20 a month, unlimited downloads. Not sure about connection fees, never paid any. Never had a problem with them, called about my internet dropping last month, they fixed it within a few days even though it wasnt a big issue

toffee_pie
10-May-11, 23:36
BT are bs, wasting my time with them

they are more espensive than talk talk also. I need a new line installed... thats why my price is a bit steeper.

Crackeday
11-May-11, 05:45
Im with BT and got my Unlimited Broadband, Line rental, free calls 24/7 for 25.50 per month.
Haggled to get it but if you dont ask you dont get.
No problems here.

RecQuery
11-May-11, 09:12
The connection fee is normal but only for actually setting up stuff at the exchange, if it's a migration - if you used a MAC code - then it should be free. Some companies will absorb the connection fee but have dodgy terms or a long contract.

I pay £33.80 a month for mine, I tend to prefer and pay for quality with this sort of thing though.

jimbews
11-May-11, 09:39
I need a new line installed... thats why my price is a bit steeper.

There's a "Springwatch Deal on just now with free connection, etc. £13 per month (plus line rental) with 10Gb download limit:

http://www.bt.com/huge/

I'd be interested if anyone else has this as I can't seem to drill down to find out exact terms and conditions, and I need to be sure to have the likes of VPN 24/7. I'd assume it's OK, but know that some ISPs block it either full or part time. Currently I'm paying 50% more with ADSL24, but have 30Gb download limit. That has been really realiable although I think they are just a reseller.

JimBews

Connor.
11-May-11, 13:44
I just managed to get VirginMedia to give me a new router, Up to 10MB BB(unlimited downloads), Line rental & phone(with 25% discount on mobile numbers and free evening and weekend calls) for £20.90.

EDDIE
11-May-11, 17:46
Im with orange i pay £12.99 a month for unlimited broadband i have been with orange for a while its suprising how nice they are to you if you ask them for your mac code

Lingland
11-May-11, 18:08
emm what is a mac code please.

Gizmo
11-May-11, 18:31
emm what is a mac code please.

A 'Mac' code is a 'Migration Authorisation Code', you request it from your current ISP if you wish to change to another ISP, once you are given it, you just pass it on to your new choice of ISP and they then take it from there

Xposin
16-May-11, 20:51
talktalk 24quid a month broadband & phone, free evening n weekend n line rental. no bad price & all i need. Dont understand why someone would stick with bt.

CLARABEL
16-May-11, 21:02
I just got a deal from Plusnet for 12 months free broadband when taking line rental at £11.99 for 12 months. Only 10gb usage but good enough for me for now anyway :)

Xposin
16-May-11, 21:18
I just got a deal from Plusnet for 12 months free broadband when taking line rental at £11.99 for 12 months. Only 10gb usage but good enough for me for now anyway :)

great stuff.... if that was 40gb id probably go for it

Bazeye
17-May-11, 01:44
Dunno. The wife sorts all that sort of nonsense out.