PDA

View Full Version : Gaelic

Saveman
10-May-11, 18:45
Do any Orgers know as languages go.....is Gaelic hard to learn?

Tatbabe
10-May-11, 18:57
Gaelic can be difficult depending on how good you are with languages in general.
one difficulty is that a written word can be quite long but the pronounciation is shorter.

I am trying to learn Gaelic myself and am waiting for an Ulpan class to start in Thurso soon ...

Else, try these sites:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/alba/foghlam/beag_air_bheag/units/index.shtml

http://www.taic.me.uk/taic.htm

Hope this helps.

S&LHEN
10-May-11, 19:12
Im a fluent gaelic speaker so if you need any help just get in touch x

Beat Bug
10-May-11, 23:49
[QUOTE=Tatbabe;848558] I am trying to learn Gaelic myself and am waiting for an Ulpan class to start in Thurso soon ...QUOTE]

When you know the dates for the class, could you post it on here please? I used to speak Gaelic (Irish) and would love to learn the Scottish version.

Torvaig
12-May-11, 00:06
Gaelic has spelling patterns like any other language and you will soon come to recognise them. There are also Gaelic words which are easily guessed e.g. brogan/shoe and poc/sack to mention just a few. There are links between English, Caithness dialect, Irish Gaelic and Welsh and you will probably recognise derivatives from Latin as well.

If you are interested in the language you will learn it; good luck and enjoy!

Aaldtimer
12-May-11, 03:33
I was told by a Gaelic speaker that once you learn how to wrap your tongue around your tonsils...it's a doddle!:)

sids
12-May-11, 06:41
Can't you just use Google Translate?

Better Out Than In
12-May-11, 09:51
I moved to Caithness over 30 years ago and struggled with the local dialect, verbs and nouns - especially when out with a group of drunken Caithnessians speaking at ten to the dozen. However, for business purposes I learn't basic Norwegian and lo and behold I can understand a lot more of it now. So I can understand why there is a resistance to Gaelicifying Caithness.

Beat Bug
12-May-11, 09:57
Can't you just use Google Translate?

Google Translate is fine if all you want to do is translate something that's written. Being able to speak a language is entirely different.

sids
12-May-11, 12:23
Google Translate is fine if all you want to do is translate something that's written. Being able to speak a language is entirely different.

Don't they have talking Google Translate yet, for iphones?

pugoff
12-May-11, 12:43
GAIDHLIG, people is gaidhlig. Gaelic is Irish. Its scots Gaidhlig!!!

sids
12-May-11, 17:43
GAIDHLIG, people is gaidhlig. Gaelic is Irish. Its scots Gaidhlig!!!

Not in proper English it's not!