PDA

View Full Version : Potty training?

Dadie
10-May-11, 13:44
We have gone backwards in the potty training game...
Iona was really good, but, now is peeing and pooping her pants again!
Its like she cant be bothered to go to the potty/toilet rather than not knowing...
Tried the sticker chart thing..but she isnt bothered if she gets the stickers or not..or the prize at the end....and dont want to bung her back in nappies as she will be 3 this weekend...and will be starting nursery soon.
Any suggestions?
Im losing the plot with her.
Everything I tried with Lauren isnt working on her...

Koi
10-May-11, 14:53
What's your reaction when she does it in her pants? Do you get cross, annoyed or do you ignore it and just get her changed?

I've always found that ignoring it and just getting the child changed helps as he/she doesn't get the reactionhe/she wanted.

Could it be simply attention seeking maybe? A way to get your indivdual attention maybe?

Hope you find a soloution soon and at least the dry weather helps with the extra washing she's making for you. Her timing is good at least ;)

squidge
10-May-11, 15:19
Sometimes reward charts don't excite wee ones as the 'reward' is too far away to grab their attention. Try immediate rewards.... If you wee on the potty you can have a sweetie/ lolly/ grapes/ carrot stick or whatever the current fashion for bribes is lol. This can be hard because you must not give in and let her have the reward if she does nothing and she will cry so it's tempting to give in. Especially if you show her the reward... Sort of 'you can have THIS' but if you give in you ll be right back to square one.

Go back to doing the potty every half hour or so and take control of it again. I'm sure you will be fine but do not not not put her in nappies again

Hope it works lol. I HATE potty training

Better Out Than In
10-May-11, 15:21
Do what my mum used to do for me - rub my face in it. You soon learn.

Dadie
10-May-11, 15:42
Im hating the potty training...
She is thrawn...sometimes there is a 5 min 1 sided arguement on where she is going to go..pink potty NO froggy potty NO and the loo NO..even though she said she was going to go there..by which time its too late...
Oh well back to 1 smartie per pee again..instead of a whole tube at the end of the day for dry pants and however many stickers on the chart!

Leanne
10-May-11, 18:16
non-child person here so feel free to shoot me down lol

Could you try leaving her in the soiled underwear for a few minutes so she learns that it really isn't nice and mummy isn't going to jump up and change her when she does it?

Dadie
10-May-11, 18:29
Not unless I ban her from the furniture!
Besides she takes them off PDQ herself and presents them to you...

AliciaMackinnon
10-May-11, 18:34
OMG ur not making me look forward to it any lol.... i love the smartie per pee trick though.... might nick that one!!!

Red
10-May-11, 20:52
If it is an attention seeking thing - try singing or doing nursery rhymes when she's on the potty or loo so that she has your undivided attention when she's doing something good.

You also say that there is a choice of potties or loo, try removing the choice so that it's potty or pants.

Above all don't let her see that your upset or frustrated with it all, clean her up with no reaction and say something offhand like, "nevermind, maybe next time".

I'm toilet training my little one at the moment so I understand where you are coming from.

ShelleyCowie
10-May-11, 21:01
Eeek! Potty training! I have tried and tried with Athrun! He will only pee in the potty if you leave him sitting on it, he is quite happy to sit on it. But when you let him off after a pee, he goes and pees again on the floor! Or if i even put pants on him he will still pee! :(

Koi
10-May-11, 21:46
Eeek! Potty training! I have tried and tried with Athrun! He will only pee in the potty if you leave him sitting on it, he is quite happy to sit on it. But when you let him off after a pee, he goes and pees again on the floor! Or if i even put pants on him he will still pee! :(

Give him time and he'll get the hang of it. Boys do take a bit longer than girls. He may not be ready yet and perhaps a spell of nappies and trying again with him after a couple of months might do the trick.

ShelleyCowie
10-May-11, 21:49
Give him time and he'll get the hang of it. Boys do take a bit longer than girls. He may not be ready yet and perhaps a spell of nappies and trying again with him after a couple of months might do the trick.

Yeah alot of people have said boys take longer, he is only 3 in October so he has plenty of time! He starts nursery next January so im not worrying too much at the moment.

Red
10-May-11, 21:58
I was always told that when they are ready it'll be a piece of cake, trying to train too soon will only lead to more trouble than it's worth. My son will be three in September and I started training him about 4 weeks ago, he got the hang of it in a couple of days (sticker chart worked wonders), we still have the odd mishap but I think that it's par for the course and am not unduly worried.

Cupcake
10-May-11, 22:08
When i potty trained my daughter last year for the first while i just let her go with nothing on her bottom half when in the house, was constantly saying 'Do you need the potty' God i was more of less sayin it in my sleep!! We had a potty that had a musical tune when she did something in it... the batteries ran out tho!! Never replaced them incase she only wanted to pee to a tune!! We also used to do sticker books when sitting at the potty, Had a book called 'big girls use the potty' she liked that too, Good Luck!

Dadie
11-May-11, 07:44
She was absolutely fine for ages and I was just about to clear out the bag of tat I carry around with me to 1 set of bottoms for her, instead of multiple sets.
Using the potty and big loo easily in time.
We had progressed to a treat after dinner and stickers for months and we had not many days she didnt get a treat...in the last couple of weeks its like being back at stage 1....peeing about a foot away from the potty without trying to get up and go to the potty, and pooping her pants.
We did the naked child thing and she was fine when naked, but, I then had/have a struggle getting her to wear clothes....turn your back and they are off!
She wanted to be a big girl and wear big girl pants like her sister, but now, she is sometimes asking for a nappy like baby Euan.
I keep saying..No nappies are for babies..are you a baby? (answer is no me Iona little girl)
Who said girls were easy at potty training?

Spring Flower
11-May-11, 14:22
She was absolutely fine for ages and I was just about to clear out the bag of tat I carry around with me to 1 set of bottoms for her, instead of multiple sets.
Using the potty and big loo easily in time.
We had progressed to a treat after dinner and stickers for months and we had not many days she didnt get a treat...in the last couple of weeks its like being back at stage 1....peeing about a foot away from the potty without trying to get up and go to the potty, and pooping her pants.
We did the naked child thing and she was fine when naked, but, I then had/have a struggle getting her to wear clothes....turn your back and they are off!
She wanted to be a big girl and wear big girl pants like her sister, but now, she is sometimes asking for a nappy like baby Euan.
I keep saying..No nappies are for babies..are you a baby? (answer is no me Iona little girl)
Who said girls were easy at potty training?

Ah that is a shame, but hopefully she will soon get the hang of it again. I have girls and there were perfect at the potty training, all potty trained before 21 months. However, why do people say boys take longer? or is it just boys mums' that say that!!!

Good luck with Iona!

pepsimax
11-May-11, 15:50
I dont think how long they take to be toilet trained has anything to do with whether they are a boy or a girl - every child is unique. I have 3 kids and my daughter and youngest son both took a long time to be fully toilet trained due to fears about doing number 2's which then caused them to get constipated and the pressure from being bunged up would cause them to pee themselves. I totally feel for you as I know what a nightmare it is. I got a story book from the health visitor called "Poo goes to pooland" and I'm convinced that this really helped both of them. They both had a good diet with plenty of fresh fruit and veg and lots of water to drink but unfortunately it all became a big issue for them. With my youngest son we would often have spells where we would think it was sorted and then it would all go pear shaped. Luckily my middle child only took 2 days to be fullytoilet trained at 2ys old or I would have been wondering what I was doing wrong. Eventually it WILL click so please try to stay chilled and calm with her.

Koi
11-May-11, 17:17
Ah that is a shame, but hopefully she will soon get the hang of it again. I have girls and there were perfect at the potty training, all potty trained before 21 months. However, why do people say boys take longer? or is it just boys mums' that say that!!!

Good luck with Iona!

As a childcare worker point of view on average boys take longer than girls. Girls seem to ctah on quicker and seem to be ready earlier. Girls on average are ready at 2 while boys on average are ready at 2 and half. But every child is different and these are only averages. As we all know averages don't work for all children.

Spring Flower
11-May-11, 17:55
As a childcare worker point of view on average boys take longer than girls. Girls seem to ctah on quicker and seem to be ready earlier. Girls on average are ready at 2 while boys on average are ready at 2 and half. But every child is different and these are only averages. As we all know averages don't work for all children.

Thanks that is interesting to hear. Just wondered if there was differences medically or if it was just an old wifes tale.

Koi
11-May-11, 18:25
Thanks that is interesting to hear. Just wondered if there was differences medically or if it was just an old wifes tale.

It's a developement thing hence why for some children it doesn't quite match. It's just like all the other average ages that a child will develop their skills.

mums angels
11-May-11, 19:46
My daughter is 3 next week and has been potty trained since 18 months after starting to show signs of wanting to go at 14 months but not long ago she took to having the odd wetting accident which i put down to the cold weather change during the winter but after another bout of 2 days of accidents i took her to get a urine sample and turned out she had a small infection that was causing her to have have a wee drible before making it to the toilet . Could it be something like that ?
With my son the only time he went backwards for a little bit was when he was 2 and a half and we took him out of night nappies i think the getting up in the night was making him tired so therfore to lazy to go in the daytime .

After reading your bit about the argument over what potty etc to use my advice would be to remove all pottys and leave just one choice - the toilet , the only potty we had in the house was in her bedroom for night times but it has now been put away as even then she would rather use the toilet . I am sure whatever the reason for the accidents is it will sort its selft out in time . good luck