PDA

View Full Version : whats in your bathroom cabinet?

onecalledk
10-May-11, 12:03
How many of us actually read the labels of the products we buy before using them? I ask the question because many people I have spoken to seem unaware of the risks of the chemicals that reside in our bathroom cabinets. Sodium Laurel Sulphate is an ingredient to be found in hundreds of products but most people are unaware what it is or what is it used for. Like wise parabens and the danger these pose to human health.

http://www.health-report.co.uk/ingredients-directory.htm

the link gives a list of commonly found ingredients in beauty products and explains what they are.

Do you suffer from dry skin for example? using any product which contains Sodium Laurel Sulphate will make your skin worse because it is used in engine degreaser. You wouldnt use engine degreaser on your skin would you? but its in most moisturisers, shower gel etc.

Parabens are more concerning , at a time when breast cancer seems to be on the increase these are still being put into many different products. A quick look at some conditioning leave in spray had me counting not one but FIVE different parabens in the product. Parabens have been linked to cancer in humans.

Surely education about what goes into the products we buy should be easier than having to google a long complicated chemical to find out about it. And lets face it if we started doing this we would get nothing done. The average person doesnt even LOOK at the ingredients much less digest exactly what they buy.

Dont be fooled by "contains natural oils" either, that DOES NOT mean they leave out the parabens nor the SLS.

Many companies are now labelling products SLS and paraben free and that is fine but unless you have an understanding about how they affect your health it wont matter too much !!

Human health is not just affected by what we eat and whether or not we exercise every day, the chemicals we use to clean the house, moisturise our hands or wash our dishes are also absorbed through the skin ......

So whats in your bathroom cabinet ?

K

Metalattakk
10-May-11, 12:15
Dihydrogen Monoxide (http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html) anyone?

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z55/Metalattakk/f_doh.gif

Corrie 3
10-May-11, 12:30
So whats in your bathroom cabinet ?

K
Lots of Condoms.......Just in case I get lucky!!!!!

C3.......:roll:;);)

Koi
10-May-11, 12:37
just checked myself and given me food for thought. One of them had two of the propanes in it and i use that everyday as i love the smell of it.

Better Out Than In
10-May-11, 16:35
Well we once had a small bathroom cabinet and the wife took it all. So I built one about 5 times bigger and still there is no room for my meagre share.

Anfield
10-May-11, 16:40
Dihydrogen Monoxide (http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html) anyone?

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z55/Metalattakk/f_doh.gif

Just another name for water (H20)

Bazeye
10-May-11, 17:55
Lots of Condoms.......Just in case I get lucky!!!!!

C3.......:roll:;);)

Better check the sell by date first.

HighlandBadBoyz
10-May-11, 17:58
Cyclo Methicone is great for keeping sweat smells away, and also dragons.

onecalledk
10-May-11, 18:19
Didnt realise that there was a dragon problem in Caithness better go get some crystals and get it sorted ;-)

just trying to make people aware of what we put on our bodies daily, do I get the feeling that men dont take toiletries very seriously .... and here was me thinking that a whole generation of farmers could have hands as soft as silk ....sigh .....

K

pmcd
10-May-11, 18:27
Open a bathroom cabinet - and there it is - a voice from the past - Brylcreem! Remember the TV ad from the early 60s? You'll find yourself wincing at the last line

"Brylcreem - a little dab'll do ya
Brylcreem - you'll look so debonair!
Brylcreem - the gals'll all pursue ya
They'll love to run their fingers through your hair".

Corrie 3
10-May-11, 18:42
Better check the sell by date first.

Thanks Baz....... July 1952 !! Do you think they will still be ok to use???

C3.....:eek::roll:;)

gingernut
10-May-11, 21:08
Didnt realise that there was a dragon problem in Caithness better go get some crystals and get it sorted ;-)

just trying to make people aware of what we put on our bodies daily, do I get the feeling that men dont take toiletries very seriously .... and here was me thinking that a whole generation of farmers could have hands as soft as silk ....sigh .....

K
There will be a "dragon problem" in Thurso if Webster gets his way!! See his thread "Fountain Design for Thurso"

Bazeye
10-May-11, 22:58
Thanks Baz....... July 1952 !! Do you think they will still be ok to use???

C3.....:eek::roll:;)

Should be ok. Ive got a pair of trainers older than that.

Metalattakk
10-May-11, 23:18
Just another name for water (H20)

Yep, of course, hence the face/palm. It seems my scaremongering attempt isn't quite as polished as the OP's. Ah well.

onecalledk
11-May-11, 08:40
Yep, of course, hence the face/palm. It seems my scaremongering attempt isn't quite as polished as the OP's. Ah well.

I am not scaremongering, I am stating facts that can be found on various places on the internet and in the press. The intent is not to scaremonger but make people more aware of what is in the products we are sold . A lot of advertising sucks us in , labelling such as "contains natural oils" is VERY misleading, many people buy products that state this thinking they are better for them , when they are not really, they still contain all the nasties but the company has added some oil in as well!

Like I said in my original post, consumers can only exercise a choice when they realise they have a choice ...... THe manufacturers are very able to make the same product without the SLS and parabens in them and many are now starting to do this. This involves another stage in the process and of course costs money hence the reluctance to do this from the manufacturers. Its only by more information being available to the buying public and them exercising their choice that more companies will follow suit and produce products that are SLS and paraben free hence less dangerous to health.

K

The Music Monster
11-May-11, 09:40
My bathroom cabinet has toothbrushes, toothpaste, interdental brushes, germolene, hairbrush and assorted hair accessories... I'm hoping none of them are dangerous, although I wouldn't eat the germolene.

FOOTNOTE: I wouldn't eat any of the others, either :p !!!

Metalattakk
11-May-11, 10:15
I am not scaremongering, I am stating facts that can be found on various places on the internet /

I refer the honourable gentlewoman to my previously posted DHMO link. It also contains facts that are freely available on the internet.

A lot of advertising sucks us in /

Speak for yourself, m'dear. How very dare you to class everyone else as a vacuous pea-brain like yourself.

And tell me this: If these SLS/Parabens are so dangerous to our health, why have they not been banned?

A 2005 safety assessment of parabens concluded that cosmetics containing parabens do not, on the basis of currently available evidence, pose a health risk; because of the low doses involved and the low probability that parabens will penetrate into the tissue, remain intact, and accumulate there.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraben
As I said, this thread is no more than scaremongering.

Anfield
11-May-11, 11:13
Speak for yourself, m'dear. How very dare you to class everyone else as a vacuous pea-brain like yourself.

And tell me this: If these SLS/Parabens are so dangerous to our health, why have they not been banned?

You calling someone a "vacuous pea-brain"
The phrase containing the words "Pot, Kettle & Black" springs to mind

pmcd
11-May-11, 11:18
Tilting at windmills! This thread is beginning to sound like the Daily Mail. "Toothpaste causes cancer! Hand cream makes you flatulent! Earbuds cause brain tumours! There are over 200 poisons in EVERY bathroom cabinet".

(Michael Caine voice) "Do you you that over 4 people a year are killed by bathroom cabinets falling on their heads?

Not many people know that......"

crashbandicoot1979
11-May-11, 11:22
Personally I agree with onecalledk, I think the products we use can have a massive effect on our health, hence I choose only to buy products that don't contain SLS or parabens and have done so for some time. Regardless of the science behind it, its a matter of opinion. If you think its scaremongering, then feel free to continue using them. Simple as that.

onecalledk
11-May-11, 11:39
I refer the honourable gentlewoman to my previously posted DHMO link. It also contains facts that are freely available on the internet.

As I said, this thread is no more than scaremongering.

hmm there are lots of things that we now know are dangerous, public has reacted and then they are banned. Pharamaceutical companies are in there for profit , nothing else, they dont care about your health, they care about you buying their product. Not everything freely available is good for you. Thats a bit like expecting the government and all the companies making products to spoon feed you is it not?

Fluoride is a poison, it has been linked to slow brain development in children, studies in various countries have shown that children who ingest fluoride can have a lower IQ than children who have no fluoride in their systems. fluoride is added to toothpaste. It is also added to various "water" that is branded as healthy. I personally dont use toothpaste with fluoride in it. In the US they add fluoride routinely to bottled water marketing it having health benefits.

The list of chemicals added to foods/drinks is immense. It is up to us as consumers to make the choice to buy or not to buy said products. My original post pointed out that it was difficult if not impossible to make that choice if you dont realise you have a choice.

There is no point being rude just to get a point across. As a previous poster has replied if you are happy with what you buy then thats dandy. I am merely highlighting what is out there. Lots of people have no idea about what is in their food /drink and are blissfully unaware.

I am sure that if you had a relative (like I did) that endured cancer and all that that entails then being aware of chemicals that have a link to the disease would have been a step forward. Millions of women a year are diagnosed with breast cancer, millions of women a year get up every morning, shower in chemicals, put on chemicals and then spray chemicals on themselves UNAWARE there is any link.

That is not scaremongering , it is information. Being a woman I am very aware of what I eat and what I choose to put on my skin.

At the end of the day it is choice and once more I will repeat this, we only have a choice if we are AWARE of the choice.

K

Nvidi4
11-May-11, 12:09
I dont have a bathroom cabinet..:/ but when I do buy anything I always let my Spirit guide me...it wont ever let me buy anything that is bad for me, regardless of what anyone else tries to tell me....Each to their own as they say...One mans meat is another mans poison.... And what about the "energies" contained in stuff......that worries me a lot more than the additives and the chemicals, but then again my Spirit always comes in handy there as well...Trust your intuition people dont let anyone try to force feed you and pull the wool over your eyes no matter how believable they may sound! :roll:

Metalattakk
11-May-11, 12:10
hmm there are lots of things that we now know are dangerous, public has reacted and then they are banned. Pharamaceutical companies are in there for profit , nothing else, they dont care about your health, they care about you buying their product.

And there it is in a nutshell. This is all about your distrust of the big bad Pharmaceutical companies, isn't it. In fact, big business itself seems to trouble you.

Fluoride is a poison /

As I keep saying, so is water.

/ it has been linked to slow brain development in children, studies in various countries have shown that children who ingest fluoride can have a lower IQ than children who have no fluoride in their systems. fluoride is added to toothpaste. It is also added to various "water" that is branded as healthy. I personally dont use toothpaste with fluoride in it. In the US they add fluoride routinely to bottled water marketing it having health benefits.

OK, out with the stats to back this scaremongering statement up please. Exactly how much fluoride causes children's brain malformation?

The list of chemicals added to foods/drinks is immense. It is up to us as consumers to make the choice to buy or not to buy said products.

Yes it is, and your insinuations are that you know better than them, and they're stupid for not knowing all that you know. Are you Narcissus?

Lots of people have no idea about what is in their food /drink and are blissfully unaware.

That's why the government set up bodies of control to vet everything - yes every single foodstuff - that is available. If it's deemed dangerous they don't allow it to be sold.

Yet your mistrust of the Big Bad Pharms and Big Bad Business is the dominant train of thought? Gie's peace, eh.

I am sure that if you had a relative (like I did) that endured cancer and all that that entails then being aware of chemicals that have a link to the disease would have been a step forward. Millions of women a year are diagnosed with breast cancer, millions of women a year get up every morning, shower in chemicals, put on chemicals and then spray chemicals on themselves UNAWARE there is any link.

As I keep saying, water is a dangerous, reactive, deadly chemical. I take it you don't have anything to do with the stuff?

That is not scaremongering , it is information.
I think you'll find it's both.

Being a woman I am very aware of what I eat and what I choose to put on my skin.

And that's just sexist guff. [lol]

onecalledk
11-May-11, 12:54
As a previous poster has already so nicely put it, we should be questioning everything and believing nothing. Test it for yourself etc. I will admit that I do have a big mistrust of pharmaceutical companies and that is my perogative. Any company that makes millions a year profit from products they sell and mislead people in the process are worthy of mistrust. There have been numerous cases in court over the years about the safety and trials of drugs. Drugs companies of course have been known to falsify trials to get products onto shelves. That is in the public domain.

My post once again is about choice. My own personal feelings on things are just that personal. I choose to buy and eat and drink what I do based on a choice. By stating that I am not instantly stating I know better than anyone else. Never at any point did I state this.

I am simply put some information on this board to highlight the dangers of chemicals. End of story. If , as some posters have alread stated, they are already aware of said info and have modified their buying of products then brilliant. If they didnt know and now do, brilliant. If they dont care either way then excellent.......

Information, that is all. You my dear chap have a knack of going on the defencive straight away, that speaks volumes. Perhaps you need to chill out about and let everyone have their say and their opinion without resorting to insults......

This is after all a DISCUSSION board.....

K

rob1
11-May-11, 13:46
As a previous poster has already so nicely put it, we should be questioning everything and believing nothing. Test it for yourself etc.

Hang on let me get out my portable chemistry and microbiology lab out first.

There are people significantly more intelligent and quallified than most of us that have already tested said chemicals and found them to be safe at levels used in said products.

Yes these types of chemicals are toxic and can cause cancers etc. But the point that Metalattakk was valid - it all depends on the dose. If for example a shower gel contains a chemical that was at a concentration that would cause cancer in 1 in every 10 users over 40 years of exposure then I think you are justified in your approach. However these chemicals are not present in that concentration and the risk of the chemical alone causing a cancer is very low, hence scaremongering.

Metalattakk
11-May-11, 13:58
Any company that makes millions a year profit from products they sell and mislead people in the process are worthy of mistrust.

Oh, the irony!

What about tiny little companies that mislead and hoodwink their customers with tales of "healing colours" and energy fields contained in inanimate objects like er, crystals? £55 to be told hippy nonsense by some idiots?

Big Bad Lying Business = Bad (GRRR!)
Little Lying Business = That's all right, ta very much.

Where exactly do your morals lie?

My post once again is about choice.

Nope, it's about your choice, and how to use scaremongering to promote it.

I am simply put some information on this board to highlight the dangers of chemicals. End of story.

Who said "chemicals" were dangerous? Where's your proof? Where's the links, references etc. to back up your claims that "chemicals" are dangerous?

We're all made of chemicals, for crying out loud. We'd be dead without them.

Christ, I even provided a link to refute the idea that parabens were killing us all to death. They're not, and to suggest they are or even might be, is scaremongering at its worst.

Now, if you can't back your views up with proof or evidence, don't go all in a hissy fit when people call you on it. As you said, this is a discussion board.

onecalledk
11-May-11, 18:29
Hang on let me get out my portable chemistry and microbiology lab out first.

There are people significantly more intelligent and quallified than most of us that have already tested said chemicals and found them to be safe at levels used in said products.

Yes these types of chemicals are toxic and can cause cancers etc. But the point that Metalattakk was valid - it all depends on the dose. If for example a shower gel contains a chemical that was at a concentration that would cause cancer in 1 in every 10 users over 40 years of exposure then I think you are justified in your approach. However these chemicals are not present in that concentration and the risk of the chemical alone causing a cancer is very low, hence scaremongering.

and that is THE problem, you may use a shower gel repeatedly containing that chemical for weeks. That chemical is ingested into your body, every person will ingest chemicals at a different rate as we are all different but that chemical then builds up in our tissues. Its the same with the nutrisweet. Fine if you drink ONE can of diet coke, you are within the limits for the amount of nutrisweet you can ingest but people dont, some people will drink say 2 or 3 cans a day and then there is the other products that also contains the chemicals.

These chemicals may be safe in the doses that they are found in each product. That is how they get passed testing. That I am aware of. However the average person will use MULTIPLE products containing the same chemicals and its the build up of these chemicals that causes the problems. Manufacturers then can say yes our product is safe but products are not tested to see how they interact with others already on the market ........

As I also stated in a reply some companies are now producing their products WITHOUT These chemicals which is great. It does beg the question why they would do this if there was no risk to anyone in the first place though .....

K

secrets in symmetry
11-May-11, 23:10
Oh, the irony!

What about tiny little companies that mislead and hoodwink their customers with tales of "healing colours" and energy fields contained in inanimate objects like er, crystals? £55 to be told hippy nonsense by some idiots?

Big Bad Lying Business = Bad (GRRR!)
Little Lying Business = That's all right, ta very much.

Where exactly do your morals lie?Her morals evidently lie in starting a thread on here to advertise covertly something she advertised overtly on the business pages

Yes, the irony is palpable, and it's served with lashings of hypocrisy of the sort we don't see often on these pages.

To get back to the point though, the website in the link in the original post is a sham. It's owned by a former agricultural worker from New Zealand who became an internet wide boy. He chose a web address that sounds official to try to fool the gullible into thinking he has some status in the world of consumer protection, whereas in fact he has no proper scientific knowledge. If you delve deeper into his operation you find he won't even communicate with you until you become one of his customers and pay him money.

The whole thing is a scam. He is nothing more than a spiv who wants to part you from your money. His scam is not as obvious as some, but he is there only to make money by taking advantage of the weak and the gullible. Needless to say, the deluded also lap up this sort of nonsense and present themselves as our saviours. They too are internet spivs and are only after our money.

rob1
12-May-11, 10:42
I did not bother to look at that website. I have now. How very entertaining! The problem with quoting what it says in the MSDS (material safety data sheet) is that you really need to know your chemistry to fully understand their implications. Fortunately I do. The information provided in these sheets in meant for scientists who will be handing pure or concentrated compounds in significantly larger quantities than is found in the bathroom cabinet.
I also notice that water is not on the list. Yes there is an MSDS for water and it has the following rather surprising remarks:
In case of contact with skin: Wash of with soap and plenty of water.
In case of contact with eyes: Flush eyes with water as a precaution.
If swallowed: Rinse mouth out with water.
Eye/face protection: Use equipment for eye protection
Skin protection: Handle with gloves
Acute toxicity: LD50 Oral - rat - 90000mg per kg
Potential heath effects: Maybe harmful if inhaled, swallowed or absorbed through skin. May cause skin and eye irritation.

secrets in symmetry
12-May-11, 11:41
After some more digging, it appears that the website linked to in the original post is a front for a pyramid selling operation. Of course he doesn't use that phrase, but he actually admits that's what he runs! I've never seen a spiv admit it before!

Dadie
12-May-11, 15:26
Small point, but, unless you drink the shower gel or eat the soap it wont be ingested.
It may be absorbed through the skin in minute quantities, but, skin in its nature is pretty good at keeping your body inside you and stuff out....

golach
12-May-11, 15:39
After some more digging, it appears that the website linked to in the original post is a front for a pyramid selling operation. Of course he doesn't use that phrase, but he actually admits that's what he runs! I've never seen a spiv admit it before!
Got to admit the guy behind the OP's link sounds a bit of a quack

http://www.geoffgoldie.net/site/bio.asp?KL=134119