PDA

View Full Version : Applications invited for youth convener

Nwicker60
10-May-11, 08:25
Quest for Highland youth champion

The search is on for a new convener to champion the cause of young people in the Highlands. Applicants for the position of Highland Youth Convener have until mid-day on Friday 27th May 2011 to register their interest in the 12-month position, which carries a bursary of £11,229.
Highland’s fourth Youth Convener, Gemma Mackintosh from Ardersier completes her year in office on 2nd September 2011.
The Youth Convener is the sounding board for youth issues in the Highlands and has a direct line into policy makers and decision takers. The post holder is a member of The Highland Council’s Education Culture and Sport Committee and Joint Committee for Children and Young People, with full voting powers.
Based at the Inverness offices of The Highland Council, the Youth Convener will also work with partner agencies.
Gemma said: “I have been extremely proud to represent the young people of the Highlands. I hope the next Youth Convener will enjoy the opportunity as much as I have done.”

Gemma is intending to continue working with young people while she studies for an Open University Degree in Law. Her successor will work with the Council’s Youth Development Team in developing Highland Youth Voice and other initiatives that increase youth involvement in decisions that affect them. A key requirement is an awareness of issues affecting young people and an ability to represent their views. Good communication skills are required as is work experience in youth projects and the ability to work with and relate to a wide range of people and organisations.
Applicants are asked to write or email in no more than 500 words ‘How you would ensure young people’s views are being voiced to The Highland Council and Community Planning Partners’, with a CV, and 2 referees noted.
The contact is Ian Abbot, Senior Youth Development Officer, on 01463 702043, email ian.abbot@highland.gov.uk, or post to Ian Abbot, The Highland Council, Education, Culture and Sport, Glenurquhart Road, Inverness, IV3 5NX, www.hyv.org (http://www.hyv.org/)