PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions

henry20
12-Sep-06, 14:32
I'm looking to buy a house sign for my sister (belated birthday present)

I was going to get a wooden one, but the place my mum got hers from quoted £470 :eek: - and I'm not that generous! (reckon it must be gold plated!!)

Do you know anyone locally that does house signs? and at a reasonable price?

Scunner
12-Sep-06, 14:36
Try Souters in Thurso, the shop beside Mackays and the Bistro

Good hunting

Piglet
12-Sep-06, 14:36
Have you tried Wood Bees or Souters
They might be able to help.

j4bberw0ck
12-Sep-06, 14:38
Check out eBay (http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.co.uk%2Fws %2F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=house+signs&category0=). SWMBO got a house sign from there, made to order. And a whole lot less than £450 too. Well, she said it was..............:lol: (I know it's not local, strictly speaking, but there's a huge choice).

dirdyweeker
12-Sep-06, 14:45
Also if you visit Wick you could try Shearers in Victoria Place. I too would try e-bay.

footie chick
12-Sep-06, 14:45
My sign was £30.00 approx {6 years ago} made out of Caithness stone from Willie MacDonald who does the headstones.:) Or I'm sure any joiner would be able to help you out if its wood you want.

henry20
12-Sep-06, 14:46
Never thought of Souters, but now you say it, they do have a few different ones behind the counter! I'll take a look on Saturday. Wanted one the same as my mums, but she said it only cost £40 - not £470. Even took a photo to the place so they knew exactly which one :(

emszxr
12-Sep-06, 14:50
go looking for a house that has the same name, only kidding

henry20
12-Sep-06, 14:55
go looking for a house that has the same name, only kidding

Think that might cost more than £470, but thanks for the suggestion!

Piglet
12-Sep-06, 15:30
Think that might cost more than £470, but thanks for the suggestion!

I think it was ment so you could relocate there sign from the house not actually buy the house. :D

angela5
12-Sep-06, 15:32
I think it was ment so you could relocate there sign from the house not actually buy the house. :D

I think henry20 kens that, it would cost more than £470 if they were caught.:lol:

henry20
12-Sep-06, 16:09
Ok, now my sister has mentioned that she once thought about buying a slate sign from a guy at a craft fayre - took his card, but never got round to phoning him - does anyone know who does slate signs locally? (She lost his business card!) :(

LENSMAN
12-Sep-06, 17:19
Is Golspie any good?
Got a house no. done by the firm just as you get in to Golspie on the right hand side.
Done in stone and very reasonable.

henry20
12-Sep-06, 17:22
Will get the other half to price one on way back up road on Friday. Cheers for that LENSMAN

Piglet
12-Sep-06, 17:56
Orcadian Stone Company, is in Golspie there phone number is Tel/Fax 01408 633483 http://www.orcadianstone.co.uk/index1024x768.html

They also own the Sutherland Stone wear company. There is a link on the website to contact them for enquire/prices.

Ricco
12-Sep-06, 20:35
If you can get to a Timpsons (yeah, the shoe people) they do excellent signs. They did two really nice brass memorial plaques to my design for £50 apiece. They have a web site.

katarina
12-Sep-06, 20:58
well I got mine from R S waters and it cost me £30. Of course they are shut now, but shearers may do them. I think focus does them in Inverness.
for that price you were quoted - goodness - is it solid gold?

henry20
14-Sep-06, 15:48
for that price you were quoted - goodness - is it solid gold?

That was my thought exactly.

Thanks to everyone for their help and contact numbers. I'm sure I'll get something arranged now. :D

Tristan
14-Sep-06, 18:10
David Mackay near Lybster does some very good sandblast stonework including signs.:D

mop top
14-Sep-06, 18:45
My sign was £30.00 approx {6 years ago} made out of Caithness stone from Willie MacDonald who does the headstones.:) Or I'm sure any joiner would be able to help you out if its wood you want.

The above does lovely signs in Granite or slate with gold or white lettering very reasonable he is in martha tce wick and tel number is 605432

cheers

Fran
17-Sep-06, 02:27
saw lovely house name signs and numbers outside timpsons in inverness, the shop that repairs shoes and does keys in baron taylor street, quite near to the railway station. they have a web site.

Tristan
17-Sep-06, 08:52
Ok, now my sister has mentioned that she once thought about buying a slate sign from a guy at a craft fayre - took his card, but never got round to phoning him - does anyone know who does slate signs locally? (She lost his business card!) :(

That would have been David Mackay in Lybster: Very good stone work.

ywindy
18-Sep-06, 23:55
I'm looking to buy a house sign for my sister (belated birthday present)

I was going to get a wooden one, but the place my mum got hers from quoted £470 :eek: - and I'm not that generous! (reckon it must be gold plated!!)

Do you know anyone locally that does house signs? and at a reasonable price?

I'm not suggesting you do this as a present for your sister, but moving in to a new house six years ago when we couldn't decide on a house nameplate, we printed the name up in large letters and laminated it and stuck it in the window with Bluetack for the postie and delivery men. About once a year we clear out the dead midges from behind it and put it back.
When you decide where to get the nameplate for your sister, please order one for me!
ywindy

henry20
29-Sep-06, 10:45
Everyone was very helpful in this thread. I am currently in contact with David Mackay with what design my sister would like and hope to get one made by him.

Maybe I should have made it a Xmas present :lol: