PDA

View Full Version : Another golden eagle poisoned by gamekeepers

Anfield
08-May-11, 14:55
Yet another Golden eagle has been found poisoned (http://news.stv.tv/scotland/north/247135-police-operation-after-golden-eagle-poisoned-with-illegal-pesticide/) on a Scottish “sporting estate”, this time it is the Glenbuchat estate in Aberdeenshire where the young eagle was found poisoned by the banned pesticide, Carbofuran

This is not the first time that this estate has been linked to illegal bird poisonings. In 2006 gamekeeper HectorMcNeil, (http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/aberdeen/anger-at-gbp850-fine-for-estate-keeper-who-poisoned-birds-rspb-condemns-disappointing-sentence-1.14970) who had worked on the estate for 30 years, was convicted for the illegal killing a raven, of which there were only two breeding pairs in the Grampian area. He also had at his home 118 gulls eggs which he was lacing with poison.
He could have faced a fine of £500,000 but instead was fined a paltry £850, of which a mere £100 was for keeping Cymag (Sodium Cyanide)
One can only wonder how many other birds this guy killed in the previous thirty years.

At the time the Scottish Gamekeepers Association said that it “..deplored the use of poison and that a small number of poisoning cases should not be taken as a reflection on the professional gamekeeping community as a whole..”
This is despite an average of 25 cases per year where carcasses have been found and does not include incidents where the carcass has either been disposed of, or not discovered.

There is a TV programme on Tuesday evening (BBC2 21:00) Fair Game? Scotland's Sporting Estates (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0116lfs) which investigates the connection between these estates and the killing of rare protected birds.

Much is said about the number of people who come to Scotland to view our wildlife, so surely we should urge the courts to impose tougher sentences on both gamekeepers AND the estate owners to stop this disgusting practice

Kenn
08-May-11, 17:52
Beggars belief that the poisoning of protected species is still being carried on and that the perpertrators are not being handed the full weight of the law when convicted.
I for one will be watching the programme with great interest but think it will only re-inforce what those of us who take a genuine interest in the protection of wild life already know.

starfish
08-May-11, 18:12
This really annoys me . Gamekeeper used to look after the countryside, now some seem to be just intrested in creeping up the toffs backside , that come form the cites ect the green welly brigade, who think they a gentry and shoot what every moves . and pay stupid amounts of money because it impresses they so call friends and can say they shoot at some lords manison who aslo just thinks about lining they pocket and can say they hold shoots ect a golden eagle might kill and eat a few grouse chicks ect at least they kill to eat .

Anfield
09-May-11, 11:20
This really annoys me . Gamekeeper used to look after the countryside, now some seem to be just intrested in creeping up the toffs backside , that come form the cites ect the green welly brigade, who think they a gentry and shoot what every moves . and pay stupid amounts of money because it impresses they so call friends and can say they shoot at some lords manison who aslo just thinks about lining they pocket and can say they hold shoots ect a golden eagle might kill and eat a few grouse chicks ect at least they kill to eat .

It is not just the holidaying "green welly brigade" who are killing the wildlife in Scotland. Take a look at some of the older threads on here (search on "poisoning", "birds of prey" or "hunting") and you will find that we have no shortage of local trigger happy morons who like killing animals and/or birds for sport.

buggyracer
09-May-11, 12:30
whilst im not in favour of poisining raptors, (have kept and flown BOP in the past) there are some species that are simply becoming far to great in numbers, Buzzards for example seem to have exploded in numbers countrywide!!

Corrie 3
09-May-11, 12:48
there are some species that are simply becoming far to great in numbers, Buzzards for example seem to have exploded in numbers countrywide!!
So has the Human population but we dont go round poisoning and killing !!!

C3........:roll::eek:

billmoseley
09-May-11, 13:17

lol you maybe want to re think that last remark as all we seem todo is go round killing each other

starfish
09-May-11, 14:29
whilst im not in favour of poisining raptors, (have kept and flown BOP in the past) there are some species that are simply becoming far to great in numbers, Buzzards for example seem to have exploded in numbers countrywide!!

golden eagle are not exploded in number no raptor is really they are lovely to see in the countryside

buggyracer
09-May-11, 18:06

We are at the top of the chain, in years gone past they would be kept to a manageable number, you cant compare the life of a human to that of an animal/bird if you value them as equal, you mustn't eat or wear any animal product? Or your a hypocrite ;)

Anfield
09-May-11, 18:55
We are at the top of the chain, in years gone past they would be kept to a manageable number, you cant compare the life of a human to that of an animal/bird if you value them as equal, you mustn't eat or wear any animal product? Or your a hypocrite ;)

It may surprise you to know that a growing number of people don't eat or wear animal products, even up here

spurtle
09-May-11, 20:15
Could you tell me where it says a gamekeeper poisoned this bird ?
As usual , easiest target accused - maybe it was a keeper and an estate but you don't know that . It has been known for farmers to lace dead lambs for foxes. It didn't say if it was found on a farm on the estate or not. Anything could have happened.It's fine to speculate but not to accuse, it wouldn't happen with any other crime.

Yet another Golden eagle has been found poisoned (http://news.stv.tv/scotland/north/247135-police-operation-after-golden-eagle-poisoned-with-illegal-pesticide/) on a Scottish “sporting estate”, this time it is the Glenbuchat estate in Aberdeenshire where the young eagle was found poisoned by the banned pesticide, Carbofuran

This is not the first time that this estate has been linked to illegal bird poisonings. In 2006 gamekeeper HectorMcNeil, (http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/aberdeen/anger-at-gbp850-fine-for-estate-keeper-who-poisoned-birds-rspb-condemns-disappointing-sentence-1.14970) who had worked on the estate for 30 years, was convicted for the illegal killing a raven, of which there were only two breeding pairs in the Grampian area. He also had at his home 118 gulls eggs which he was lacing with poison.
He could have faced a fine of £500,000 but instead was fined a paltry £850, of which a mere £100 was for keeping Cymag (Sodium Cyanide)
One can only wonder how many other birds this guy killed in the previous thirty years.

At the time the Scottish Gamekeepers Association said that it “..deplored the use of poison and that a small number of poisoning cases should not be taken as a reflection on the professional gamekeeping community as a whole..”
This is despite an average of 25 cases per year where carcasses have been found and does not include incidents where the carcass has either been disposed of, or not discovered.

There is a TV programme on Tuesday evening (BBC2 21:00) Fair Game? Scotland's Sporting Estates (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0116lfs) which investigates the connection between these estates and the killing of rare protected birds.

Much is said about the number of people who come to Scotland to view our wildlife, so surely we should urge the courts to impose tougher sentences on both gamekeepers AND the estate owners to stop this disgusting practice

buggyracer
09-May-11, 22:16
It may surprise you to know that a growing number of people don't eat or wear animal products, even up here

Do you? I think it must be nigh on impossible to avoid using some product derived from an animal/bird, whether that be eating it or using something produced from one!?!

Dog-eared
09-May-11, 22:21
Are the landowners the Sherrifs or connected to them?

Anfield
10-May-11, 11:10
Do you? I think it must be nigh on impossible to avoid using some product derived from an animal/bird, whether that be eating it or using something produced from one!?!

Nowadays it is fairly easy to live ones life without using animal products, take a look at the Vegan Society website (http://www.vegansociety.com/become-a-vegan/)

Anfield
10-May-11, 11:42
Could you tell me where it says a gamekeeper poisoned this bird ?
As usual , easiest target accused - maybe it was a keeper and an estate but you don't know that . It has been known for farmers to lace dead lambs for foxes. It didn't say if it was found on a farm on the estate or not. Anything could have happened.It's fine to speculate but not to accuse, it wouldn't happen with any other crime.

As far as i am aware there have been no reported cases of UK farmers using carbofuran to kill foxes, but don't take my word for it do a simple Google search using "farmer" and "carbofuran" and then use "gamekeeper" and "carbofuran".
I think you will be surprised at the number of links that emerge from the gamekeeper search.

My link states that the eagle was found on the Glenbuchat Estate and tested positively for carbofuran. The police also removed "articles" from the estate.

So given the above, and also Glenbuchats track record for poisoning birds, I would confidently suggest that this bird was not killed by a farmer

Maccy
10-May-11, 11:59
This makes me sick !

buggyracer
10-May-11, 12:24
Nowadays it is fairly easy to live ones life without using animal products, take a look at the Vegan Society website (http://www.vegansociety.com/become-a-vegan/)

you didnt answer my question???

DO YOU?????

Anfield
10-May-11, 12:56
you didnt answer my question???

DO YOU?????
A bit like asking if the Pope a Catholic?
Of course I am

Better Out Than In
10-May-11, 15:15
There are quite harsh penalties available for harming protected species. If these were use to a greater extent (and advirtised) that surely would be a bigger deterant. At least it seems people are being caught. Estate owners and their employees ought to have a duty to protect the land. Perhaps if they can't do this properly then the land should be confiscated. That would be interesting if it was one of these community held things.

Actually I used to know a few estates from my mountaineering days and also know quite a number of farmers - both here and South - and these that I know are quite protective and appreciative of their wild life. Except perhaps badgers, rats, crows, pidgeons, badgers and foxes - but then you can't have everything.

Kenn
10-May-11, 22:30
Have just finished watching the programme and found it of great interest although it did seem to confirm that there is a very wide gulf between the estates and the conservationists, which has been known for some time.
Whilst not having the slightest inclination to shoot any thing appart from with a camera, I do appreciate the huge sums of money and employment that the shooting brings to the country despite it being reserved for those who have wealth.
The efforts being made in some quarters to try and marry the two are to be applauded but they will only suceed when the mindset of a few can be changed to realise that these magnificient birds are part of the eco-system and attract much tourism and money in their own right.
I hope that a way forward can be found and there will be raptors in the skies for all to enjoy for now and the future.

ducati
10-May-11, 22:55
I heard today on the BBC news that some estate owners have approached the new SNP administration to licence the killing of Raptors. The response was "not until the illegal killing stops".

I take that to mean they would consider it.

Kenn
10-May-11, 23:47
I was a trifle non plussed by that statement too.....will be questioning my new SNP MSP on the subject.